Calypso Disco, Hurghada

Know about this? Rate It!

• Calypso Disco
    by Bastet_
    Belly Dnacing
    by Beograd
  • Calypso: Calypso - intimidating scammers

by outofmytree Written Sep 15, 2010

This was the only bad night of our holiday. Me, my sister and a friend went to Calypso for a night out. We were charged 100le for entry and a free drink each worth up to 50le. We went in and it was fairly quiet for a big club. During the night we leant against another table by the dance floor but did not order any drinks from the waiters - the only time we used the waiters was for our free drinks. The problems started when we went to leave the club, we were accussed by the receptionist (possibly Russian) of not paying for some of our drinks when we had. We asked to look at the receipt and on there we foundthey had charged table tax (they had charged us for 2 tables) and "entertainment" tax - which I assume was for the rubbish entertainment that they kicked us off the dancefloor for. The russian woman and about 5 bouncers stood around us demanding us to pay. In the end we reluctantly paid but went away with a very sour taste in out mouths - we couldn't believe what had happened!!

Luckily my friend (who had family who lives in Egypt) went back to the club half an hour later and kicked up a fuss inside the club and managed to get the money back from the manager!!

I have read some other reviews on this place and I think they scam people from the UK - this was obviously not the first time they had pulled this trick.

Never would I step foot in this awful place again, if you want a good club that is cheaper go to Ministry. If you want class at about the same price as calypso (which is stupidly overpriced for what it is) then go to the little buddha.

Oh yeah and the music is awful.

• Calypso Disco: Be Wary

by roverboy62 Written Jun 3, 2009

Just back from a wonderful two weeks in Hurghada. Visited the Calypso Disco for an evening which turned into the only unpleasant experience of the holiday.
    The club looks quite impressive and seems to be run by Egyptians/Russians. Entry fee was 50LE which included 2 free drinks. The free drinks were 2 lukewarm cans of beer so the offer sounded better than it really was.
    Whilst drinking the second beer I was asked for 243LE from a Russian lady for drinks I had consumed. Still being on my second complimentary drink I was confused. An Egyptian friend managed to resolve that issue and then minutes later the manager appeared with a different bill for a 'Sex on the Beach' cocktail. He was rude and very aggressive and was insistent that the drink had been ordered at the bar, which it hadnt.
    Had to pay 50LE for a drink I hadnt ordered. Paid the 50LE and left. On leaving we met an English couple outside who had left for exactly the same reason.
    Would not recommend visiting this place, unless you like being cheated and conned out of your money.

• Beograd's Profile Photo

Calypso: Go West!

by Beograd Updated Jan 29, 2007

Belly Dnacing

My friend and I becames ''friends", for the time being at least, with the recepcionist from our hotel, and one night we went out together to this place. It's just 50-100m's from Roma hotel. It's not bad, if you've come to see european way of paritying. The good thing is that it's not overcrowded because the place is huge.

Not many locals visit this place. The reason for this could be the price (30LE) and the fact that is too far from so-called "Egyptian Hurghada".

You see all these dancing girls? They are all Russian. The performance is interesting, but not very original nor authentic.

Dress Code: What ever makes you feel comfy.

• Music
    • Singles

• adonai_2012's Profile Photo

Calypso: Calypso disco club

by adonai_2012 Updated Sep 29, 2006

Less fansy then Papas Beach Club, more plesant to me as you could actually dance-not just wave yourself with feet fixed on floor. Different music all night. Not bad. Yet again, my fav was Mr.X as I had some cool dancers going to Hurghada with me, and we made an atmosphere easily!

Entrance fee:50LE, non alcohol 10LE, alcohol 15LE up

In from of Mr.X sometimes a guy gives 'free calypso entrance leaflet' that is wort if you get there before midnight.... Yet, it is better to be there around 1am.

It is climatized and dance podium is better than in Papas if you like to spin around :))) However, it is somehow 'dark', odd atmosphere... You won't miss much of you skip this spot.

Dress Code: disco alias night club one
    sporty can doo too

• Bastet_'s Profile Photo

Calypso: Disco

by Bastet_ Updated Apr 11, 2005

I like dance show there very much. Good music, light. Comfortable. You can ask your hotel guide take you there. Disco is free for guides.

Dress Code: Nothing special.

Instant Answers: Hurghada