Hurghada Shopping

Most Recent Shopping in Hurghada

• Aurorae's Profile Photo

at Marc's: bazar

by Aurorae Updated Jun 14, 2006

Many shops like this can be found one next to the another in Hurghada - they sell souvenirs, clothes, jewellry, perfumes, shoes, various items and stuff popular among tourists. Shopkeepers are very friendly and they will offer you a shisha to smoke with them or a tea and treat you like their best friend!
    Bargain is inevitable of course! It's an insult for them if you don't do it. :)

What to buy: whatever your heart desires

• Sambawalk's Profile Photo

local shops: Local souq

by Sambawalk Written May 28, 2006

There are many local shops in the souq area in Ad-Dahar. At the time I was here (end April 2006), there were very few people and tourists. Not sure it was due to the bomb blast in Dabah on 25 April 2006. Look at those antiques and there should have something for you. Happy shopping.

• Sambawalk's Profile Photo

Souq: Impressive lighting at night

by Sambawalk Updated May 13, 2006

When I was there at end April 2006, the street in the souq was virutally empty. Why? I have no idea. The business may be affected by the dahab bomb blast on 25 April 2006, or may be it is low season.

I passed by some lighting shops and they are so impressive when all those lamps, lights were on. It is a good place to shop. I didnt ask for the price of any lights, so I dont know how much the lamps are.

• Innovator's Profile Photo

Authentic & fake Papyrus

by Innovator Written Jan 8, 2006

If you booked with a touroperator they guide you to the museum of Papyrus.
    There you can buy authentic Papyrus. They also show you how they made it.
    It's with a special authentic stamp at the back of it.

What to buy: We bought 2 nice Papyrus (see pictures below):
    The first one is in special brown Papyrus with nice colours, and something different
    The second one shows the reincarnation belief of the Egyptians

For a small one you pay around €20, a bigger one around €35.
    The Papyrus Museums walls are decorated with lots of examples with number on it.

You can fill in the number on a piece of paper that you receive and downstairs you can pay for it. It's packed in a special cylinder for protection.

• Innovator's Profile Photo

Nice statues - but fake so buy them cheap!!!

by Innovator Written Jan 8, 2006

First thing : they claim to be real (alabast stone) but they are 90% fake!
    Even 'registered shops' don't thrust anyone!

Pay €5 for a small statue, €10 for a bigger (30cm) and €20 max.for 50cm biggest ones.
    Don't pay more, wait, discuss or leave the shops, it's all fake and very breakable stone.

There are also children that sell some statues, but it's from a very cheap craft, painted in black with shoe-cream!!! Don't buy them.

• evona's Profile Photo

I don`t know...: souvenirs from Egypt

by evona Written Jun 28, 2005

This is a typical shop with souvenirs from Egypt.

What to buy: Very great vases, egiptians jewelery, women`s clothes, brancelets, hand-bags, kerchiefs, wraps for belly dance and many more.

What to pay: You must negotiate the price. Give the 50% of this what says the seller, so you can buy it for 70 %.

• Beograd's Profile Photo

GHAYDAA SHOP: Ashraf's souvenire store

by Beograd Updated Mar 9, 2005

Happy shopper

First of all this shop is special because it's owened by my friends Zeinab and Ashraf, and it's named after their daughter Ghaydaa. You've had the pleasure of seing them on some of my pics. In here you can find everything from water to souvenires, shals etc.

As you can see from the pic, it's beautiful (ignore my face in front )

• King Tout Parfume and Papyrus Bazar: Smooth talker in King Tout

by nissem Written Mar 1, 2005

The King Tour lays not far from the Apollor and Detur offices and has a lot of water pipes, parfumes and papyrus. A young man with the nick name Ali Baba started selling us a water pipe and continued by offering us some really nice parfumes. When we decided to buy some parfumes and a water pipe he invited us upstairs for some tea. Ali was very nice and we talked for quite a while and we learnt alot about Egypt and it's customs. We also wanted to buy some really nice papyrus he offered us and we thought we could hold our budget but unfortunatly we had missheard 90 for 19 dollars for the parfumes and the water pipe and Ali missheard us when we asked if it really costed 19 dollar. So when Ali started to count everything he wanted 280 dollars and it pretty much blew out 40 dollar budget.
    We felt really sorry for have wasted his time since we could only afford the pipe. Ali helped us to a taxi that would take us to our hotel for five dollars (a robbery I know but we wanted to get home). After driving us to the wrong Hilton and demanding us for 15 dollars (which we refused) we came to our hotel and found out that our last dollars had dissapered from my pocket somewhere between be paid Ali for the pipe and we got into the cab. It kind of ruined our good experience of King Tour and Egyptian hospitality. Ali can also be found with a shop with the same name at one of the larger hotels in Hurghada.

What to buy: Nice water pipes can be bought but remember not to take the metalparts of it onto the plane but in your suitcase or else you can get problems with the security.

What to pay: A small waterpipe can be bought for about 6 dollars.

• Study Abroad

• Kushelkitten's Profile Photo

Abu Ashara Market: Grocery Shopping

by Kushelkitten Updated Feb 26, 2005

This is a reasonably priced grocery store in the Sakala area of Hurghada. Within walking distace of the hotels in the area it is a good place to pick up snack food and more importantly WATER.
    The staff are friendly, helpful and surprisingly will point out when you have handed them 50 Egyptian pounds accidentally rather than 50 plastres. There is no coin currency so this is an easy mistake.

What to buy: Water
    fruit
    chips (crisps) and general snack food
    hair spray
    deoderant
    and other hygine items

What to pay: I beleive I bought two 1,5l bottles of water for under 3 Egyptian pounds. 3 pounds is about 40 euro cents.

• Water Sports
    • Archeology

• LexiB's Profile Photo

Haggle, Haggle, Haggle

by LexiB Written Nov 25, 2004

dancing queen

What to pay: All I have to say on shopping is YOU HAVE TO HAGGLE. It's expected. If you don't, you'll end up paying 4-5 maybe even 6 times more than you should've. Don't get all shy either. I usually start by dividing the original asking price in half and work from there. Just remember don't get punked by the vendors. Yes, I know they gotta make a living too. But, their main business is getting as much money out of tourists as they can; and there's always a tourist (not me or you) that'll pay the first price they hear. It may also help you if you buy several items and you can compromise on the final price. And if you still don't like what you hear, LEAVE. There's another vendor that'll do business with you.

• Aisha: Best souvenir shop in town

by stickybeak Written Aug 10, 2004

This store is across the street from the 3 Corners Hotel. It's the only classy one I saw. It is run by an Englishman who has lived in Egypt for the past 7 years. His passion is for the Bedouin culture and he has picked out the most beautiful items, such as rugs, jewelry, dolls, lamps, figurines and other things for sale. He told me that the proceeds go to a women's coop to help them help themselves. Prices are from middle-to-high but well worth the visit.

• evona's Profile Photo

no name......: shopping on the street

by evona Written May 28, 2004

This is one stall on the street near of hotel tree corners empire and hotel amal... There are many street sellers on the way....

What to buy: they have papirus, kerchiefs, pendants, bracelets, caps....

What to pay: the price is of cours conventional :)

• Kushelkitten's Profile Photo

Alama and the Papyrus Shop Next Door: All Your Souviner Needs

by Kushelkitten Written Feb 3, 2004

Initially we went to this shop because we decided that we wanted to buy our own snorkel equipment and had seen that they had a display. Too bad it was on a Friday and they were closed.
    Never fear the nice saleman at the papyrus place next door helped us find another place that was open but made us promise to come back later and look in his store.

Two days later we returned because of that promise and the fact that my friend saw a picture of an Ankh on papyrus that she liked. It turns out that the shop owner was in town and as we talked to him he informed us that he was just visiting but lived in Thuringen, Germany. So we sat down and had a nice cup of mocha with him.

Then I mentioned that I was looking for a hipscarf for belly dancing and he directed me next door to Alama. It is a nice shop with everything imagniable for gifts. The owners there were also very friendly and helpful.

What to buy: Papyrus and leather goods at the store next to Alama as well as beautiful jewlery boxes.

At Alama small statues, postcards, T-shirts, and hip scarves.

What to pay: The first store is a bit pricy but the merchandise is top quality.

The second, Alama is a standard gift shop but they are willing to bargin. So prices may vary

• Desert
    • Archeology

• gugi66's Profile Photo

Ram Store

by gugi66 Written Feb 6, 2010

Ram Store

A big store with souvenirs, clothes, toys, copies of famouse brands (Gucci, Armani, Louise Vuitton, Prada ect.ect) bags, wallets, lighters and much much more. Fixed prices

What to buy: Souvenirs, bags

What to pay: Little

• misr's Profile Photo

Tiba 2 Bazar: Shop in Saqqala

by misr Written Oct 29, 2006

Aka Duty free shop in Hurghada Saqqala

The shop has everyting, postcards, maps, papyrus, statues, jewelry, T-shirts, copper .... and the best was, that you could take your time looking at things, without anybody breathing in your neck.

Instant Answers: Hurghada

Comments

Hurghada Shopping

Reviews and photos of Hurghada shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Hurghada sightseeing.