Tourist Attractions in Hurghada

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Hurghada

• MohamedSamir's Profile Photo

Over Day To Luxor From Hurghada By Bus

by MohamedSamir Written May 18, 2013

Type : Historical Trip, Culture tour, sightseeing.
    65$

We offer you a day tour to the largest open air museum all over the world to explore fascinating Pharaonic historical sites during your visit to Karnak Temple, Valley of the Kings, Queen Hatshepsut Temple and Colossi of Memenon.
    Itinerary

You will be picked up from your hotel in Hurghada and transferred via Air conditioned bus to Luxor. Upon your arrival you will visit the East Bank of the Nile River, and explore Karnak Temple the largest place of worship that was ever built. You will be served your lunch,than you will explore Valley of the Kings and its tombs and move to Queen Hatshepsut Temple,The temple dedicated to the Queen Hatshepsut the only woman who ruled in Egypt. You will proceed to visit the two statues of Amenhotep III "The Colossi of Memnon". At the end of your day you will be transferred back to your hotel in Hurghada.

Includes
    - Pick up and drop off from the hotel and back. - All transfers by an air-conditioned vehicle. - Academic English speaking Egyptologist tour guide. - Entrance fees to all the mentioned sites. - Mineral water on board the vehicle during your tour. - All taxes & service charge.
    Air Conditioned Bus

Unique Suggestions: Type : Historical Trip, Culture tour, sightseeing.

Air Conditioned Bus

Fun Alternatives: Type : Historical Trip, Culture tour, sightseeing.

• Wafro's Profile Photo

Things to buy

by Wafro Written Dec 3, 2011

When you buy souvenirs in Egypt be ware of fake items and minor quality. Jewels, carpets or statues probably are made in China or Bangladesh. They are priced below the average prices and probably broken after a few weeks.

• gaj86's Profile Photo

Don't listen to your hotel rep!!!

by gaj86 Written Aug 14, 2008

OK, we booked through thomas cook, which apparently meant that our hotel was organised by hotels4u. On the second day, we were told to meet with our hotel rep. At first, he was very helpful, showing us on a map where things were, telling us not to pay more than 15LE for a taxi etc...
    Turns out, though, that you can book excursions through hotels4u. Unfortunately, we had already booked two excursions with a tour provider down the road. Our Cairo trip cost us 45 euros, and our desert safari was 35. Theirs was £80 for Cairo and about £45 for the safari... he proceeded to tell us, solemnly that we would have to cancel. Apparently, the only legal way to go to Cairo is in convoy, and they would not look after us. Even worse, it would not be done legally, and we could end up being arrested, and he didn't want to have to deal with that. Oh no, NO tour operators were safe apart from hotels4u, and as we'd booked our hotel though them, we could ONLY do their excursions, or we weren't "covered". He offered to call the tour operator and demand our money back. We hesitated and told him that we would sort it out... he sternly told us that we MUST call him that day!
    We ran to the internet, and I spoke to the receptionist... who told me that we were free to go with whichever tour operator we chose, and of course you get what you pay for, but that we would still be safe... and that our travel rep gets commission.
    We found it appalling that he would lie to us to that degree, and scare us like that, just for his commission!! We never called him back, and our excursions turned out OK. You can see my complaints in the "things to do" tips, but we weren't arrested, and I'm sure that paying the extra to go with hotels4u wouldn't have been much better.
    So, if your travel rep gives you this story, he's just trying to get his commission. If he won't go away, just say you'll call him, and don't. He never chased us up.

• gaj86's Profile Photo

being pulled into shops...

by gaj86 Written Aug 14, 2008

It usually goes something like this. You're walking along....
    "My friend! Where are you from?"
    "Uhh... England!"
    "Oh, England ... lovely jubbly!!! (Endearing at first. By the end of the week you'll want to smack everyone who utters this) Welcome to Egypt! Is this your first time?"
    This is probably where you should say no and leave. If they find out you're fresh blood, you're doomed. Before you know it, there'll have been some story about a new baby, or them needing you to translate something into English for them, or something. I somehow managed, on my first day, to end up in a shop having calomine lotion smeared all over my face. The guy was a bit creepy and kept suggesting my boyfriend popped over the road to the dive shop that we'd been heading for... luckily he wasn't going to leave me alone with the scary man! He eventually roughly wiped it off and put aloe gel on my face. This was supposedly because of the "red" on my face (it seems Egyptians don't encounter acne very often). He then showed me my reflection, as if he had performed some miracle- I looked the same, but shiny. We bought a snorkel and mask off him for 35LE, and left. He seemed very sulky about this! Another guy did a similar thing, only tried about 62 different perfumes on my arm and asked me which one I liked. I eventually bought the smallest bottle that I could - for my mum - to shut him up, but he continued to try getting me to buy things.
    They usually give you tea, as well, and tell you that it's Egyptian hospitality. You'll probably learn after the first day, really, but if you don't want to buy things then just don't stop and give anyone the chance. Walk purposefully and say "la shukran" (no thank you), if you have to, pretend that you don't speak any language that they do or that you're in a hurry. Don't get me wrong, not all Egyptian shopkeepers are like this. All the dive shops that we went into were great - they didn't even pester you when you were in the shop or pressure you to buy anything. Some will give you tea and insist that you don't have to buy anything, so take them at their word and just don't hand over any cash. They're not that pushy in Hurghada, really, they'll just sulk a bit!

• Court94403's Profile Photo

Silver Jewelry Not the Right Price!

by Court94403 Written May 7, 2008

Do not buy silver jewelry in Hurghada in any tourist areas. A small pair of plain silver and turquoise earrings could cost you 600 L.E. That's over 100.00 USD!

Fun Alternatives: Instead, shop for silver in the souqs and markets away from the resort areas

• Cruise

• vesna04's Profile Photo

Jeep Safari and Bedouin Village

by vesna04 Written Sep 4, 2007

Don’t get me wrong ! It is relaxing, it is fun and is certainly the nice way to spend an afternoon.
    But if you expect to see genuin beduin life forget it! It is the reproduction of what it really is. Nice reproduction, though as still you can see some things that are probably done exactly the same way as in real beduin setellment.
    They have done everything to attract tourist. At one point you will be even served with coke and bottled water probably bought in «local store». Than you will be offered to buy some original beduin art ( necklaces, ear rings...) most likely made in China...
    However I put this experience in my things to do in Hurghada as I really mean what I have stated at the beginning of this tip.

Unique Suggestions: Please read my things to do tip with the same title before you decide.

Buffet diner in Beduin Tent

• vesna04's Profile Photo

Camel Ride

by vesna04 Written Sep 3, 2007

Allways negotiate the price before you get on the Camel. Don't give more than 10LE (usualy 1-2 LE will be enough) . One guy had to pay 25 euros in order to get off it.

I dont like repiting the tips but I have to put this one on every of my Egypt pages

• GEM Tours from Hurgada to Luxor

by hughada Written Jun 8, 2007

This tour was a one day trip(16hrs) from Hurghada to Luxor advertised to including Karnak, Nile trip, Collisi Memnon, Valley of Queens all for the reasonable price of €55pp(extra €10 for Valley of Kings instead of Queens). Should have known by the price!
    Adhmed working in the main office in Hurgada(Opposite McDonalds)is polite and happy to take your money. However, once your money has been taken the following did happen to us: 1. Pick up was at meant to be at 04:45 but no sign till 05:25(40mins late). Drove around Hurgada locating other tourist hotels, driver seemed to have no idea where he was going. After driving round for >1hr in Hurghada we ended up where we started.
    2. Met up with convoy in Safaga (60kms) towards Luxor from Hurgada for police escort. Driver did not have documents for our transport but the usual arabic chit chat and a few name taken all seemed okay. An experience- All traffic stopped for the some 40+ tourist buses all the way to Luxor
    3. Arrived Karnak temple first (On bus 3 languages spoken as first language) met by guides??? Only 2 so one doubled up and repeated. Our guide was very interested in us as needed money from us. Once he got the money pushed tour through as quickly as possible. Give very little insight into anything and show no interest in anthing at all. Said what each part was and nothing more. His attitude stunk. Took him a total of 15mins to do his part then he was off to cafe to have a drink.
    4. Then we were hurtled off to Papyrus shop or a Perfume shop. Guide really trying get his cut on anything that we purchased. No poblem spending time here. Surprise Surprise. Also recieved lesson on how papyrus is made. Pritty good. Mad for sales

Unique Suggestions: ctd from above as not enough room
    5. Then off to Karnak Hotel 3* for lunch. Don't do it. Food seemed like been left over from a buffet 3 weeks ago and still going cold. Had to pass on food. Charged for drinks. During lunch they were mad yet again to yet again try to SELL us a trip to banana island or a trip on Nile by motor boat. More commission.
    6. Motor boat across Nile to other side where met bus for pick up.
    7. Off to Colossi Memnon. No guide intro just here they were.
    8. On to alabaster factory shop. Lesson on how made by staff. Very informative and interesting. Again guides are on comission for any sales that are made here.
    9. Next to Valley of Kings(Or Queens) where no information from Guide given at all, apart from what is written on the outside of each tomb "Tomb of Ramses VII" etc .
    10. We were informed end of tour but one good surpise they did show us Temple of Hatshepsut. Think this was more down to the fact that nobody would go to the banana island or motor boat on Nile.
    11. Tour over and still had 1hr to show us something so took us back to that LOVELY (NOT)3* Hotel to spend money and ensure they keep the hotel sweet. When we arrived there we opted to go somewhere else to drink.
    At end of tour with guide he searched our thoughts on the tour asking did we enjoy, was really looking for money. Sorry not here by the way neither did anyone else.
    My biggest disappointment about this whole tour was that the guide was money searching all day everywhere and they showed no interest in the main attractions the sights! They were also unfriendly.
    I do have to say on the positive side we did stick to a schedule and we did get to see all the sights itemised. However, I hope this article clarifies how GEM tour operates and that if you do book with them you get no surprises.
    By the way they were one of the cheaper tour operators. Maybe I am bit cynical and they make thier money from the commission?? I'll leave it up to you to decide.

Fun Alternatives: Will only do it once be prepared and do your own homework on each site

• Archeology

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Tiresome walk

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Apr 30, 2007

I decided to have a walk across evening Hurghada. As I already wrote the city extends along the sea coast on some tens kilometers. I would like to pass some of them on foot. I was going to reach an old part of the city before sunset. But it happened it was not possible. Numerous shops and sellers became the reason of my failure. Sellers did not give pass by their shops. They threw on each passing by tourist, offering the goods and made it persuasively enough.

I had to enter conversations with sellers many times. They were not limited by my firm "NOT". As soon as they understood that I was Russian, their persistence was doubled. They spoke in love and friendship to Russian, that firstly was pleasant. But when it repeated tens times, I was tired and decided to stop such tiresome walk!

Hurghada - Tiresome walk along shops

• adonai_2012's Profile Photo

Tourist Agencies from ur hometown-thieves?...hmm

by adonai_2012 Written Sep 6, 2006

My agency offered us 'facultative trips' as every does, I believe. The hometown one in Bosnia I mean. We went to some with them. Later on we realized that in hotel (local Egyptian agencies) and agencies you can see along the streets of Hurghada sell exactly the same stuff for 50% less price!!!!!

Unique Suggestions: Check local before you trust your own!

• adonai_2012's Profile Photo

precise EXACTLY

by adonai_2012 Written Sep 6, 2006

for some stuff, any, even riding a camel you bargain and you come to a certain amount...
    precise the currency, as my friends bargained for 10, but it turned out to be US dollars not Egyptian pounds!

so, always say - that and that EUROS, EGYPTIAN POUNDS....

Unique Suggestions: if this happens you'll have o pay more
    maybe not all 10 dollars
    but not 10 LE either

Fun Alternatives: pay middle to 70%

ur fault!

• ronin308's Profile Photo

Any souvenior shop--no does not mean no

by ronin308 Written Jul 27, 2006

If you come to Egypt and want some souveniers be prepared to haggle, bargining appears to be the national sport here.

Unique Suggestions: Also understand the time old adage of no means no does not apply. No means you are trying to get a better negotiating position. If you are not interested in what they are selling it's better to not say anything at all and ignore them.

• Assenczo's Profile Photo

The whole of Hurgada is a trap

by Assenczo Updated Feb 12, 2006

No genuine beach, waters filled with oil, restrictions mostly to the "civilized" quarters of the main hotels which happen to be price gougers because of their quazzi monopoly state, and the special non-stop staring at you if you happen to be a woman. What a bliss!

Unique Suggestions: Go on a boat with a glass bottom if you are not a diver so at least you see something unusual unless you have seen it somewhere else. There are more expensive propositions with larger boats and better views of the marine life but you will miss out on the "local flavour" represented by your boat driver.

Fun Alternatives: Do not go Egypt for a beach vacation. Greece would do.

• Wafro's Profile Photo

Overcrowded

by Wafro Written Jan 21, 2006

It could be wrong of me to mention this in a tip, because I'm also a part of the tourist population.
    But personally I think some places are overcrowded, especially the public coral reefs.
    When you're looking for a tranquil place to enjoy the aqua fauna, Giftun is the wrong place.

• Innovator's Profile Photo

Egypt has NO prices at all, bid 50% or less!!!

by Innovator Written Jan 8, 2006

Here we have prices tagged on every item in shops.
    In Hurghada we had to bid off even for a bottle of Coke!!!!!

We were thirsty and asked someone from a shop where they sell softdrink bottles.
    He brought us to a shop and said something in Egyptian language.
    I suspect something like 'i brought these customers here, so i have also a percentage of your sale'.

They asked €2 for 1.5L! I said it's even more expensive than in Europe!
    They asked how much I wanted to pay. I said €1 and they agreed. Even this is expensive i think for Egyptian standard. But we don't wanted to go in discussion for a drink, but they had to be reasonable...

Hurghada Hotels

Sunrise Mamlouk Palace Resort
Latest: Jul 4, 2014
Stella Makadi Resort

Instant Answers: Hurghada

Comments

Hurghada Tourist Traps

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Hurghada locals.
Map of Hurghada