Related Alexandria Favorites Tips

Most Viewed Favorites in Alexandria

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

meeting the local people

by uglyscot Updated Dec 7, 2009

Favorite thing: A walk along the promenade from one end to the other and you'll see all of Alexandria' waterfront.

Fondest memory: I was given the task of escorting two women who had accompaned a husband and a sister to an International Conference. We did all the sights, walked along the promenade, and on the last day they asked to do something different after we visited the Catacombs.
    When we finished our underground exploration which was interesting, we wandered around the few artefacts in the garden while our Egyptian guide was chatting to a young guy who'd 'picked us up'. He claimed to be Sudanese and a student of archaeology.
    My two companions were getting thirsty , so went out in search of somewhere to get water and possibly tea.
    Across from the entrance to the site was a small cafe with a couple of small wooden tables and chairs on the pavement. I went in and asked the owner if we could have some bottles of water, two cups of mint tea and a cup of coffee. He looked very surprised, looked at the 4 old men playing dominoes in a corner, and they all shrugged, Taking that for agreement, we sat outside until our order was brought to us.
    Soon after this the guide, the young man and our driver arrived and promptly joined us, ordered more for themselves, and soon everyone was chatting and laughing. I was translating from Arabic into English for the American, and she then translated into Spanish for the Chilean. The owner and the old men seemed to find this hilarious.
    In the end the two women decided this had been a great experience interacting with the locals. So decide they wanted to find a traditional place to eat. The driver took us to an out of the way barn-like place in what might have been a warehouse. We sat on rough wooden benches at a long trestle table and ate fanastic food that the driver and guide chose. The young guy who'd come with us then paid for everything.
    It was truly an adventure for my two companions, at least a change from typical hotel food and fancy restaurants.

Stray but Cute Cats of Alexandria

by freddie18 Updated Dec 13, 2008

Favorite thing: I saw a lot of stray dogs in Athens, Greece on my last visit. I said, a lot!

In Alexandria, Egypt cats can be seen on the streets. Not too many but when we were walking on our way to the Al-Montazah Palace and Gardens, this group or family of cats just watch us pass by. They are cool and looks like tamed. Okey then, I decided to take photos of them.

Each one of them started moving as if they are enjoying what I am doing. Well, I guess all of them enjoyed mingling with people. You can see their reaction on these photos, don't you?

• Farm Stay
    • Travel with Pets

Beautiful Flowers of Alexandria

by freddie18 Updated Dec 13, 2008

Favorite thing: I can say that Alexandria has many colours. From the dresses that Egyptian women wear and so with the flowers surrounding the beautiful places I have visited.

I am posting two photos I took near Qaitbay Fort and these are beautiful flower garden in front of a mosque. These flowers are in blue/violet and one in pure yellow. These are awesome, but can you help me name them?
    Thank you.

• Festivals
    • Religious Travel

The Towers of Stanley Bridge

by freddie18 Updated Dec 7, 2008

Favorite thing: Stanley Bridge made the harbour pleasing to the eye. The towers of the Stanley Bridge are even better that highlited the bridge's physical beauty.

The artistic design and fine craftsmanship of the tower made it an extravagant feature that add to the beautiful view of the harbour.

Fondest memory: This is the first destination right after we went out of the railway station. Our host took us here to feel a refreshing air which gave us a very good impression of Alexandria.

Cabins at Stanley Beach

by freddie18 Written Nov 15, 2008

Favorite thing: Stanley Beach at Stanley Bay is a very popular tourist spot in Alexandria. You will see in the picture I posted that there are 3-storey cabin that is lining the rear of the beach. This is located close to Saba Pasha area in Alexandria.

• Seniors

Ptolemy I – the constructer of the city

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Dec 9, 2007

Favorite thing: Ptolemy I was a boyhood friend of Alexander the Great at Pella, and later became one of his most trusted generals as well as a member of his royal bodyguards. Now he is considered to be the first man to unite Egypt at the dawn of civilization. He became the king and founder of the new dynasty. Ptolemy I Soter took the Egyptian name Meryamun Setepenre, which means "Beloved of Amun, Chosen of Re".

Though I very doubt of it but this tradition has been followed throughout the history of the world, up unto our present times. The monument of Ptolemy I is established near the modern building of the Library. It was taken from the bottom of the sea.

You may learn more about Ptolemy I here

You may watch my high resolution photo on Google Earth in Alexandria Ptolemy the Great according to the following coordinates: 31º 12' 28.71" N 29º 54' 31.98" E
    or on my Google Earth Panoramio Photo

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Alexander the Great–founder of the city

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Dec 9, 2007

Favorite thing: The Egyptians welcomed Alexander the Great when he entered the country in 332 B.C. He spent only several months in Egypt as part of his on-going campaign against the mighty Persian Empire of Darius III. Alexander initiated the building of Alexandria, but never lived to see the city. He left Egypt in 331 B.C. and left Cleomenes of Naukratis in charge of the territory. This position was later claimed by Ptolemy. When Alexander died, Ptolemy's generals divided the kingdom.

Alexander would never return alive to see the city he had founded, it would be considered as his final resting place when his embalmed body was returned there for burial only 10 years later. Alexander the Great's tomb still has not unraveled, and locating the burial of Alexander seems to have become an impossible mission for archaeologists.

But nevertheless his name is linked with the modern city forever though I very doubt if he ever visited this area and if it was so it happened much later than we are told by historians…
    The monument of Alexander the Great stands now near the modern building of the Library.

To learn more about Alexander in Egypt here

You may watch my high resolution photo on Google Earth in Alexandria Alexander the Great according to the following coordinates: 31º 12' 31.38" N 29º 54' 30.09" E
    or on my Google Earth Panoramio Photo 1

Alexandria Corniche

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Dec 9, 2007

Favorite thing: As I’ve heard a lot about Alexandria Lighthouse and Library, I’ve heard nothing about its beautiful Corniche! It occupies almost 20 kilometers of wonderful beaches. The avenue did not always exist there, for until the XX-th century, the areas remained fortified by a five mile long wall with towers which had protected the city since the XIIIth century. In the early 1900s, a strip of land with a width of about 100 meters was reclaimed from the sea, and the area became popular.

Now the Corniche became the highlight of Alexandria and attract tourists nor least than its historical sights. If I would choose between Hurghada for example and Alexandria for having a beach rest I would prefer Alexandria.

You may watch my VIDEO-Clip on my personal YouTube channel: 8 min 37 sec Egypt Alexandria Corniche out a bus window 2007

You may watch my high resolution photos on Google Earth in Alexandria Corniche according to the following coordinates: 31º 17' 24.50" N 30º 1' 20.62" E

or on my Google Earth Panoramio Photo 1 , Photo 2 , Photo 3 .

Eastern Harbor

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Dec 9, 2007

Favorite thing: The area forms somewhat of a T-shape, dividing the Eastern Harbor from the Western Harbor. The Eastern harbor was really where the old harbor from the Middle Ages was located.

I could explore only its Eastern part which they call the Eastern Harbor. The scenery of this area is beautiful. You may watch fantastic views on Fort of Quit Bay and the Corniche spread till the horizon with endless beaches. You may see hundreds of boats which fulfilled the harbor and made it vivid and picturesque. I didn’t see ships may be they come to the West harbor. If I had time I would walk along the Corniche and admire panoramas of harbor as long as I could…

You may watch my VIDEO-Clip on my personal YouTube channel: 0 min 29 sec Egypt Alexandria Corniche 2007

Ancient Library of Alexandria

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Dec 9, 2007

Favorite thing: Egypt has been the cradle of civilizations since ancient times and the famous Library of Alexandria is considered one of the cultural wonders of the ancient world. Historians tell us that in 295 BC Ptolemy I commissioned the construction of the Great Library of Alexandria. Let them think it was in reality!

In the following years, local scientists traveled through the region to purchase books for the library. The Library held many copies of important books of the ancient world as well as the originals of Euripides and Sophocles. All human knowledge of the ancient world was stored in the Library, not just of Egypt or the Greek territories.
    In 48 BC, the Library and at least 40,000 scrolls were burnt when Julius Caesar attacked the city and a huge fire swallowed up the ancient Library.

Pharos Lighthouse

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Dec 8, 2007

Favorite thing: What do we recall first of all when hear the name of Alexandria? The Lighthouse and the Library! Famous Pharos Lighthouse is considered to be one of the Seven Wonders of the World. They say that the Pharos Lighthouse was constructed at the beginning of the third century BC and stood on the eastern point of Pharos Island some distance from the city center of Alexandria.

The tongue of land between the eastern and western harbors developed out of the ancient causeway known as the Heptastadion which led out to the island of Pharos.
    The total height of the building including the foundation base was about 120 m, equivalent to a 40-story modern building. Supposedly, the light from the tower could be seen from almost 100 miles out to sea.

Where was it? Did it exist in reality or it was only a fantasy? These questions came to me (and I’m sure to everyone who is interested in ancient history) when I was strolling along the Sea beach in Muntaza park where a modern Lighthouse is located now.

• Tijavi's Profile Photo

Italian influence on Alexandria's architecture

by Tijavi Updated Aug 12, 2007

Favorite thing: Alexandria is an interesting architectural canvas. The city is littered with 19th-early 20th century European architecture that seemed to reflect the bygone days of economic prosperity of those times. Some of the most interesting buildings are found along the Corniche, Alexandria's waterfront promenade.

These eye-catching Italian-inspired buildings (in the pictures) are some of the most interesting structures I've seen in Alex. They reveal strong Gothic Italian and Florentine influences which make for a pleasing visual contrast to the art noveau and belle epoque buildings that dominate the downtown area.

I wish I have more information on these buildings (have been scouring the Net, but still unlucky) on these interesting buildings. If you know anything on these buildings, please feel free to leave a comment.

• 1 more image

The Alexandria Sarchopagus

by pangtidor Updated Mar 18, 2007

Favorite thing: Sarchopagus is a case where they put the body for mummification. The mummified bodies will be kept in their sarchopagus for many days and will be the `coffin` in their tombs.It is interesting to see Alxandria sarhopagus. I was surprised to see this granite one in Alexandria as other ones mostly from limestone. My travelmate was yelling at me sometimes though, `Oh my, you are collecting the coffin pictures!!!`:-))

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

Alexandria lions

by uglyscot Updated May 19, 2005

Favorite thing: I enjoyed looking for lions- not real ones- but statues. Ir's amazing how many there are. There are headless Egyptian sphinxes in the museum, and at the catacombs. But the ones I liked most were at Montazah gardens.
    Out by the summer house are a pair overlooking the sea, those at doorways and at most of the roundabouts are white marble lions, some sleeping, others couchant.
    The ones I liked best were as in the picture- out for the count!

Fondest memory: I love being beside the sea, watching the changing colour and listening to the sound of the water as it creeps up the shore, or crashes onto the rocks.
    Even the smell of the sea reminds me of my Scottish fishing village roots.

One of my fondest memories is wandering about with some other women who were accompanying participants at a conference. We didn't have a common language but had great fun. I could communicate with an American, who in turn could talk in Spanish to a South American. I could also speak to Egyptians in Arabic.
    At one point they decided they wanted tea, and we were in a quiet area off the tourist route. There was a cafe with a few men in, so I went and asked if we could have tea. The owner looked at us [4 women], shrugged, and indicated a table. Somehow we felt so daring sitting on the pavement with our mint tea, communicating in our different languages.

Alexandria Hotels

Latest: Apr 12, 2014
Windsor Palace
Latest: Feb 19, 2014

Instant Answers: Alexandria

Comments

Alexandria Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Alexandria locals.
Map of Alexandria