Mediterranean food, Alexandria

4 out of 5 stars 8 Reviews

Jaeda and Chicken Parm
    Costolette di Mediterraneo-Lamb Chops
    by zanzooni
  • Interior of restaurant w/ view of the sea
    Interior of restaurant w/ view of the...
  • zanzooni's Profile Photo

Portofino Restaurant & Cafe: Inexpensive elegance with a view

by zanzooni Updated Aug 4, 2007

Hand painted mural replicating Portofino, Italy

I met the owner of this restaurant, Afaf Farsi, at the Amrican Embassy in Cairo. She told me she had a restaurant in Alex, but not the exact location. Of course I didn't ask either. Turned out that it was not that far from the hotel that we were staying at.

From the outside, it seemed like it was an older restaurant. We were surprised when we entered to discover that it was new and elegant. It had the look and feel of neoclassicism. We were greeted by someone a little too long after we had been standing in the entrance way, but at that point I was already familiar with the service one can expect in Egypt. We picked a table and sat and waited. And waited. Finally, a server came and started to take our order. This was the beginning of spoty service. We had 5 different servers at our table, the service was slow and the appetizers came a few minutes before 2 of the dinners. The dinners were sent back with clear instructions not to place them under the heat lamps, but that's where they ended up we discovered when they brought the food back out. At that point, my daughter's were frustrated and just ate the food. I spoke to the owner's brother afterwards, as he knew I was in the restaurant industry, plus I found out he owns a restaurant in North Carolina. He knew there were problems with the service and assured me they were working on it. In the US, when there are service issues, as well as food issues in a restaurant, the management goes out of their way to make it right for the customer. Not so in Egypt. Our check was not paid for, nor were we even offered dessert to atone for the sloppy service and the food that sat in the window. I was very disappointed in this regard.

Favorite Dish: I had the Lamb. I love lamb and what better way to enjoy lamb but in a country where lamb is a main staple? I found it to be too fatty and greasy. It wasn't fresh like what I had eaten in other less fancy establishments. It was good, don't get me completely wrong here, but it wasn't the best that I had experienced. Jaeda had chicken parm and I can't recall what she exactly said, but I recall that it wasn't her best. I tried it and I thought it was good. Don't listen to her as she is beyond a finicky eater. The plate presentation was very nice.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

Taberna: Pizza anyone?

by uglyscot Written May 10, 2006

Taberna

This restaurant and take away is tucked away almost next to Gad on Mahatat el Raml . Upstairs is the seating area. It is decorated with old pictures, old bits and pieces like an iron, tankards, cauldrons and trays. The walls are white painted brick with wooden beams here and there. Tables are granite topped and everything has a rustic feel.

Service is good.

Favorite Dish: The pizzas are excellent with light crisp dough.
    The 'oriental pies' = fateer, are also tasty, light with a cheese filling.

• siso010's Profile Photo

Dongol.: Very Good and Cheap Seafood Resturant.

by siso010 Written May 22, 2005

This resturant have a main disadvantage that the location is not that nice,but it offers a very very good taste sea food.
    You can get a plate of mixed seafood for 20L.E inclused 3 kinds of fish+shrimps+Fish Kofta,,Rice and shrimps soap is included also.
    this resturant for a low standard tourists who want to spend the least amount.

Favorite Dish: Mixed seafood plate

• GerryFM's Profile Photo

San Giovanni Restaurant: Eastern meets Western

by GerryFM Written Nov 13, 2003

San Giovanni Restaurant in Alexandria

Savor some of the finest food you can eat in Egypt!

Over looking the famous Stanley beach with breathtaking view of the sea, The Restaurant offers its visitors a classic, and elegant atmosphere, where they enjoy their food while listening to classic live music every night.

San Giovanni chefs, have created an exciting menu based on a fusion of Eastern and Western culinary traditions, ingredients and presentation. The San Giovanni Restaurant is located at the San Giovanni Hotel in Alexandria

Favorite Dish: I honestly can not recall what I ate, just remember enjoy the food and the atmosphere.

• dedeckerm.'s Profile Photo

San Giovanni Restaurant.: Eastern and Western culinary traditions

by dedeckerm. Updated Feb 23, 2003

Sunset

Favorite Dish: The finest food you can eat in Egypt is in this restaurant if you ask !

• noura's Profile Photo

Don Camillo: Eat in italian castle .. in Alex.

by noura Written Nov 7, 2002

New italian taste in a good decoration and smooth light .. when you get the menu, you will not understand anything (if u dont speak italian) .. so , you have to ask .. 25% discount every monday and closed on tuesdays ..

Favorite Dish: Fettuccini di casa

• noura's Profile Photo

La Casetta: Italian in alex.

by noura Updated Nov 6, 2002

most egyptians like the italian food .. so this restaurant is always full .. its a nice italian atmosphere , air-conditioned .. excellent lighting and music .. very friendly ..

Favorite Dish: PIZZA + the mint when you get the bill :)

• noura's Profile Photo

JUNGLE ???!!..: Invitation to a JUNGLE !

by noura Updated Nov 7, 2002

It's not a normal restaurant .. it's fresh-air with nice view of water-falls .. able to eat , drink and smoke SHISHA ..
    You can sit on sofa too , not only chairs are available :)

Instant Answers: Alexandria