Beaches, Alexandria

by freddie18
  • RavensWing's Profile Photo

Dip Your Toe Into the Mediterranean Sea

by RavensWing Written Oct 31, 2013

Sink your feet into the sand!

There is beach front pretty much all around Alexandria. There are a lot of parts that are gated or fenced of for private beaches but where I was ( close to Muntazah Gardens) there was a portion of the beach that was open for the public.

Late at night, close to 10:00 pm, we decided to stop and try out a paddle boat ride. It was nice and calming paddling around the water in the moonlit.

I'm not sure what it cost to rent the paddle boat, but I do know that there is haggling involved to get the best price.

• mikey_e's Profile Photo

Private sands

by mikey_e Written Aug 10, 2011
    Private beach from above

Alexandria has a long coast line, along which you will find a number of beaches reserved for the waterfront hotels and beach clubs, particularly in Muntaza. I’m not sure that I would go swimming in the water along the coast, given that sanitary regulations in Egypt are not of the same rigour as those on the northern side of the Mediterranean, and also because Alexandria is an industrial port. Nevertheless, the sea and the sand can be quite beautiful, even during the winter, and they deserve a bit of time for pictures and walks. If you’re staying in a hotel on the corniche, make sure to ask the hotel reception if they have a reserved beach. You’ll have to remember to take your room key with you, to show the guard (not a lifeguard, he just makes sure non-guests don’t use the beach).

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

The Beaches of Alexandria

by uglyscot Updated Nov 15, 2009

Aida Beach

Many of the beaches of Alexandria are private or attached to communities or hotels , but there are free beaches too. The first time I went we used a beach at Maamoura where native Egyptians go. .
    The Montazah Palace has beaches , and there are cabins ,perched above or beside the beaches, owned by private individuals. These beaches are named Cleopatra, Ide [?] and Aida.
    The beaches may be sandy, or coarse from broken shells.
    With the renovation of the Corniche, many artificial bays are being constructed.

For westerners, it may be strange to see lines of deckchairs set out facing the sea, so that swimmers have to squeeze their way through and between them to actually reach the water. Once in the water it is like being a star turn to live audience!

In free beaches like at Maamoura a woman has to wear a jellabiya over a swimsuit or get hostile eyes staring at her.

• Fishing

• K.Knight's Profile Photo

Enjoy a seafood lunch - 2.

by K.Knight Written Nov 11, 2009

Crab....NOT crap LOL:)

Believe me, the food was not CRAP…as the photo suggests it may be.

When you sit down you are given a plate of hot bread with a number of dips to try. We then ordered some cold beer for Danny and I and a glass of wine for the ladies.

There is a large area where all of the seafood is fresh and laying on a bed of ice for you to choose. Anne and I chose a fish, (You have to have the whole thing,) and we asked for some calamari and crab.

After the items are weighed you pay for the meal and the chef asks you how you would like the food cooked. I asked for “Traditionally, however Egyptians would eat it.” The food came out bar-b-qued with sauces and spices…and it was magnificent!

• K.Knight's Profile Photo

Enjoy a seafood lunch!

by K.Knight Written Nov 11, 2009

Anne and I with Sue and Danny.

Sue and Danny joined Anne and I for a relaxing seafood lunch and a few beers.

We headed to the Cornice and went upstairs to where a group of seafood restaurants were competing for business. We decided to sit at a table beside an open window that had a beautiful breeze cooling us as we ate and drank.

The view of the beaches was stunning, made all the better for the excellent view of the Qaitbey Fort that is located on the Island opposite.

• zuhur's Profile Photo

Beach for Walking

by zuhur Written Apr 13, 2009

We stayed near the Sidi Gabr area, so went out to walk on the beaches there.
    First, it can still be cold in March and it was! Windy, cold, bring a jacket, even a coat.
    Too cold to swim even for me and quite a lot of surf.

In this area, you can walk down to the beach highway, bravely cross -- lots of traffic, or go to an underground crossing, and you can walk and walk on the beach, or just along the corniche which is not as atmospheric given the cars racing by.

And, even later in the season, when it is hot, do not plan a trip to the beach for sunning in a bikini. Forget it. Those days are gone, my friend. Every woman is covered now. If you aren't, you'll be the only one.

Do think about going to the beach at night. Up further north, it can be extremely crowded. But fun and a break from the heat.
    You pay a little to sit on a chair, or you can splash around (in your clothes, don't remove anythning) with the kids.

• freddie18's Profile Photo

Beaches in Alex

by freddie18 Updated Nov 10, 2008

Beaches in Alexandria

The beaches I am going to present to you is near the Montazah Palace. The area has several natural bays and five of Alexandria's popular beaches; Aida, Cleopatra, Semiramis, Vernisia and Palestine Hotel private beach.

Some photos I posted here are at the Palestinian hotel and some are close to Montazah Palace.

• Sailing and Boating

• pearkan's Profile Photo

Mediterranean Sea

by pearkan Written Jun 7, 2008

Make sure you take some time to go and enjoy the sea, its beautiful. I was at October Beach a secure area within Alex, the beach itself is quite dirty, garbage everywhere. I couldnt suntan showing any skin so that was a bummer. Locals will come by and harrass you as well. But still worth going out there to enjoy the water.

• zanzooni's Profile Photo

Where you can wear a bikini and no one blinks

by zanzooni Written Aug 4, 2007

Montazah Beach

Montazah Beach. What can I say? I loved it here. The views, the relaxed atmosphere, the warmth of the sun, the lukewarm water and my bestest male friend in the whole wide world made this my best day in paradise. I had gone to another beach, Maamoura, which was nice but I was uncomfortable as they have designated areas for those women who wear bathing suits, and those women that wear the jihab and galabaya. Even though I was at my designated beach, I was reluctant to enter into the water with out shorts on. Montazah beach has women wearing bikini's. Exposing parts of the breasts, albeit covered with a bathing suit top, brings no stares nor uncomfortable feeling.

• siso010's Profile Photo

Northen Coast.!

by siso010 Written Aug 10, 2005

The Northen coast is one of the best places to swim in Alexandria specially Marina.
    its not crowded at all and the sea is very clean,just it may has high waves at sometimes but I always enjoy going there to swim with my friends.
    its better to swim there because you can wear your Bikini "for women" with no hassels from others because those areas are for people who wears Bikini,but if you did this at the seas in the downtown I am not sure what will happen to you.!!
    but millions of eyes will looks to your body,so northen coast is your way for a safe and relaxing swim,
    there are many touristic villages there,hundreds over the coast but I like Marina and some others,if you are comming I can handle a pass for you so you can join because its for members only,but its easy for us :)

• kenmerk's Profile Photo

Mamoura Beach

by kenmerk Written Jan 3, 2004

Not one of the 7 wonders, but not too bad...

Alexandria is a beach front town, so best to find a nice place to enjoy the beach.

Most of the waterfront around town doesn't look so inviting for swimming, but one exception is the beach near Montazah Palace, which is used as a summertime residence by El Presidente...

Too chilly to swim on the day I was there, but here is a picture of the nearby lighthouse...

• Aurorae's Profile Photo

The Mediterranean

by Aurorae Written Oct 25, 2003

The Mediterranean sea is spectacular at Alexandria! Along entire city there is a loooooong main avenue, and a promenade, where the sea is always wild and wavy, it is always windy. But it is so beautiful!

• sachara's Profile Photo

Alexandria, a 5 milllions city at the Mediteranean

by sachara Written Aug 12, 2003

Alexandria

From the air you can see the extensiviness of this 5 millions city and the beautifull location at the mediterranean Sea.
    The view at the western and eastern harbours and the Corniche is amazing.
    When I saw this sight for the first time during one of my flights from Cairo back home, I decided to visit this city one of the next times.

• windoweb's Profile Photo

Beautiful Beach

by windoweb Written Apr 21, 2010

Alexandria Beach Area

We walked over to the beach from the port and local bazaar area. There were many sights to see. We were not in a tourist area this day while walking - we experienced the local flavor of the city.

• Cruise
    • Adventure Travel

• sarrahh's Profile Photo

ALEXANDRIA CORNICHE

by sarrahh Written May 9, 2005

ALEX CORNICHE

The Corniche is a glorious 3km walkway along the harbour dotted with restaurants, markets and historic sights.

Instant Answers: Alexandria