Ad Duqqi Restaurants

Costa Cafe
    menu in Costa

Most Recent Restaurants in Ad Duqqi

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

Spectra: Enormous helpings and so delicious

by uglyscot Updated Jul 26, 2011
    Vegi combo

You could easily walk past this cafe, as you enter through a small gap in a hedge. On one side of the path are French Cafe murals and the restaurant inside is fantastic. Long windows run the length of one wall with a view onto the cafe scenes. Another wall also has similar scenes . Comfortable banquettes face glass topped wooden tables, and the ceiling is also dark wood.Chandeliers and lamps give illumination. Music plays in the background but is low enough not to intrude on conversation.
    Service is quite good, although my husband's coffee was 'forgotten' until we reminded the waiter. Mind you there was a constant flow of customers.
    There is a large menu with seafood, chicken, meat and pasta dishes. We thought we would have just a snack, but the helpings would have fed two at least, so we had left overs to take home.
    Service tax [12%] is always added to the bill. Although slightly more expensive than average, the food is so good, it is worth it.

Favorite Dish: I had the vegi combo. This included mushrooms in batter, mozarella sticks fried, fried onion rings, salad, french fries , taco crisps and three different dips. Price 39.99EgP.
    My husband had grilled chicken salad .There were four fillets of chicken breast and a mountain of salad. Same price as my dish. Then he had a Turkish coffee [5.99 EP]. We also had a small bottle of water [4.59]. With tax, we paid 102Eg Pounds for the meal.

Sit el Hosniya: traditional Egyptian food

by uglyscot Written Oct 21, 2009

exterior

This new restaurant has a local flavour. The seating is low with low tables that I found awkward because my legs couldn't get under the table. The decor is brown and cream chequered, the ceiling brown imitation mashrabiya. Carpets are on the floor and the waiter wears local dress.
    The clientele when we were there was almost equal local and foreign.
    The first thing we were given was a drink of some fruit, and a plate of bread and salad. We then perused the menu. All dishes were local Egyptian from salad, soup [including lentil], molochiya with rabbit, okra, grilled chicken, kofta and many many more.

Favorite Dish: I loved the grilled chicken on browned rice. My husband praised his lentil soup and the creamy rice dessert topped with nuts. Our meal cost £EGY 130

• Work Abroad

Avenue: Steak Bar

by uglyscot Updated Oct 16, 2009

Avenue

This is another new restaurant in Michel Bakhoum St , Duqqi.

You enter through an old-looking wooden door and follow a black brick road. On the red 'pavement' are tables with black glass tops, and chairs with red covers. The waiters wear black with red aprons. The walls are decorated with posters, traffic lights, and house numbers.
    The menu is very classy with photos of the dishes.
    Service is good. First a basket of garlic bread is brought, and then huge plates full of food, that I personally was unable to finish. The portion of chicken was perhaps slightly meagre..

Favorite Dish: I had chicken and mushroom penne pasta which was delicious- but caused me indigestion later ;though at the time the cheese was not noticebly overly strong.
    Husband had peppered fillet steak, again so tasty.

Chicken dishes are in the 20 Egyp. £ range, steak from 50-90£Egy, salad bar is 22£Egy and soups about £15Egy.

Costa Coffee: coffee shop

by uglyscot Written Oct 15, 2009

cup of coffee

This branch of the international chain of coffee shops is new in Duqqi. On the ground floor are 3 or 4 tables looking out on to busy Mossadek Street. We sat here, but there is more upstairs. It is clean and new and the service is good.
    A few newspapers are placed in a rack for customers to browse through.
    Opening hours are from 7am -2am

Favorite Dish: I had the hot chocolate @11.50 Egy Pounds but without the trimmings.
    My husband had cappucino for the same price. Both were good.

La Toscano: Italian, anyone

by uglyscot Updated Oct 15, 2009

a treat for the eye and the stomach

This is a new restaurant opened in 2004. It is stylish and the staff are very helpful and friendly. Service is good- but so far there are few customers. We were given a free drink and free dessert to encourage our custom.
    The food was plentiful, and we were given a doggy-bag to take home what we couldn't finish.
    Although a bit expensive by Egyptian standards, a Greek Salad, pasta dish and cappucino plus service charge of 12% came to about $5 . We paid 97 Egyptian pounds for the two of us.

Update October 2009: This restaurant has now closed down, and the site is empty.

Favorite Dish: The mixed cheese and garlic bread selection is out of this world.
    The crepe with chocolate sauce and ice cream was superb too.
    And I couldn't fault the pasta, nor my husband the pizza.

On our second visit it was still quite empty, and the bread selection was not so good, but when I said so, we got it free.

This time we went for escalope cordon bleu. Delicious but had to take half of it home. My husband ploughed through his Beef Strogonoff which was very rich. Both were a visual as well as tasty treat.
    We'll be back.

• Seniors

Se Seid: typical Egyptian dessert

by uglyscot Updated Jul 31, 2009

Se el sayed

UPDATE : In June 2008 on our return we found the cafe had closed down, and had been replaced by another establishment.

The restaurant is one of those dimly lit local cafes where people meet to play board games like draughts and backgammon, smoke shisha, and have a snack.
    The smell of the shisha is attractive, if you like it, or else can be a turn off if smoke annoys you.

I have been there when there has been a violinist playing in the background. The cafe is on two levels, one ostensibly for women or families.

Favorite Dish: I like the desserts like rice pudding , creme caramel and Umm Ali. In fact I sometimes ordered them when I was having a dinner party.
    My own favourite is Umm Ali , which is a dish of small pieces of pastry soaked in a milk mixture with mixed nuts, raisins and coconut flakes. It is delicious, especially when served straight from the oven, slightly burned, in a pottery dish.

A dish costs 8 Egyptian pounds, just over a dollar US.

Abu Ramz el Suri: shawarma wraps - yummy

by uglyscot Updated Jul 31, 2009

all that was left.....

This is a shawarma place where you can either have a takeaway or a plate. It can be quite busy so that you may have a short wait, as it is very popular because the food is so good..

Favorite Dish: The chicken shawarma is tastly, but I think I prefer the beef shawarma, which comes with some pickles and just has the edge over the chicken. Both are good and come in a crispy wrap.

One wrap filled with the delicious shaved meat costs the equivalent of 1$US, or 7 Egypt. pounds.

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

Cortigiano: pasta, pizza and plenty more

by uglyscot Updated Feb 22, 2007

Cortigiano interior

This restaurant is usually very busy at lunchtime and in the evenings. It is not brightly lit inside , but has a lot of interesting old prints, objects and posters on display. The service is very good, and the helpings are enormous, and very rich.

Favorite Dish: I've tried many of the main dishes and salads [Greek salad and also the tomato and mozarella salad]. All have been excellent. Last time I wanted something lighter so asked for Pasta negresca which was penne baked in a sauce with chicken and mushroom. I couldn't finish it as there was so much, and it was delicious and freshly cooked. My husband had pizza napoli [ with anchovies] and he devoured the lot, except a slice which he passed on to me to try.

It cost us less than 10 dollars.
    A main dish of meat, fish or chicken costs between 30-45 Egyptian pounds.

Le Peking: Chinese

by DunaKal Written Jan 16, 2005

Le Peking

Peking Chinese Chain of Restaurants, with 12 branches throughout Cairo and one branch in Sharm El Sheikh.
    In 1963 the first Peking Restaurant was established by a
    group of Chinese families, settled in Cairo from various
    provinces of China.
    The largest(I have visited)is the one in Zamalek area.which offers live music on certain days of the week(check with the restaurants for further information and reservations).

Favorite Dish: Chicken BBQ.,but almost everything in the menu is very good.
    Let me give you a tip,,they serve small portions,so you might need to double your order ;-)

Tia Maria: Italian Food

by DunaKal Written Jan 16, 2005

Tia Maria

Though this restaurant is rather small.it serves really good italian food..it opens from 1PM,kids are allowed in before sunset.
    atmosphere is very cosy!
    Also serves Alcohol.no reservation required.

Favorite Dish: Beef fillet with mashroom sauce.
    chicken Fettuccine.

• Beer Tasting

Coffee Roastery: Breakfast @ Roastery

by DunaKal Written Sep 24, 2004

Roastery Cafe

This is one of the best coffee shops in Cairo,it opens from 7:30 A.M and serves breakfast,it has a large menu of sandwiches,and coffee drinks.
    minimum charge is 5 Egyption Pounds(Less than1$).
    It has 5 branches,I have been to three of them,one at the Shooting Club street or in Arabic(Nadi El Seid street),the other is at Maadi,and the one at Zamalik area.

Favorite Dish: Chicken salad sandwich

Le Carnavale: Passez moi le menu

by uglyscot Written May 7, 2004

La Carnavale

Very classy restaurant above its own patisserie and ice cream shop.
    The basket of different breads keeps you going while you wait for the meal to arrive. Well worth waiting for too.
    There is so much to choose from, all of it excellent.

Favorite Dish: Onion soup and veal escalope

It just is good.

Instant Answers: Ad Duqqi

Comments

Ad Duqqi Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ad Duqqi restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ad Duqqi sightseeing.