Bawiti Transportation

• boltonian's Profile Photo

Bus

by boltonian Written Jun 7, 2007
    Old banger

The only way to get here is by bus.

You must buy the ticket 24 hours before you travel from Turgoman Bus Station.

Make sure you find the right station.

I walked it in the midday heat and it took about 45 mins. Get a taxi, probably only cost you a few quid.

The bus leaves on time and fills up, so arrive early. Buses left at 7am, 8am, 3pm and 6pm. I got the 3pm and it was full to the brim. It stops at other stations such as Giza, so keep an eye on your bags beneath.

The fare was about 20 Eygiptian Pounds (£2.50) but there was a small booking fee.

As I said on my intro, prepare to be bombarded by people on arrival who will try to sell you their tour.

The bus journey is hot, no conditioning, and the koran is blaring out on the speakers all the way so forget any hope of sleep.

It stops half way at a service station, but don't expect and level of clean or appetising food

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

bad roads? offroad?

by call_me_rhia Written Mar 13, 2005

helal's jeep

Most roads in Bawiti are unpaved... and when I say unpaved I mean that the bottom is very soft, sandy... well, basically very little suitable for a normal car.
    Add to it the fact that, if you have come so far, you'll probably want to see the desert... hence, no paved roads again.
    There's no choice but to rent a 4 wheel drive - and this makes only sense if you have a driver with you that knows the desert.
    Before renting someone's services, this is my advice, ask to see what sort of 4 wheel drive you'll be taken around in. A group of (Dutch?) tourists ended up in one with seats facing each other... it did not seem like much fun. Our guide Helal had a really good and comfy one.

• Desert

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

If you are a local...

by call_me_rhia Written Mar 4, 2005

a friendly bedouin on his donkey

if you are a local, you're most likely to get around bawiti (and more in general baharia) on your donkey... and after all why not?

It doesn't cost any extra money (petrol insurance, tyres), it's efficient (because distances are short) and it can really help you carry some stuff.

Have a lot of stuff or a family to take around? Add a cart to your donkey. I'm making it sound ridiculous, but in some places like Baharia ia a car that would be ridiculous.

• Desert

Instant Answers: Bawiti

Comments

Bawiti Transportation

Reviews and photos of Bawiti transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bawiti sightseeing.