Pyramids of Giza Restaurants

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Nile Crystal: Nile River Lunch Cruise

by Mikebb Updated Nov 27, 2010

Nile Crystal Cruise

After visiting the Museum of Egyptian Antiquites we drove to the Nile River where we boarded a river boat for our lunch. The cruise on the river was short, however the buffet lunch was good. The highlight was the entertainment, including a glamorous Belly Dancer and a colourful Male Dancer.

• Photography

• freddie18's Profile Photo

Hard Rock Cafe - what else!: Cafe Just in Front of the Sphinx

by freddie18 Written Nov 12, 2008

Hard Rock Cafe - Giza, Egypt

Nothing is special in Hard Rock Cafe in Giza. It is just like any other Hard Rock Cafe in any country. But let me give you an an idea how it look like outside the cafe. See the photo and you yourself can decide if you wanna go have refreshments after a tiring tour of The Great Pyramid and The Great Sphinx.

• Desert

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Coffee Shop El Sokarya: Local cafe near the Pyramids

by SWFC_Fan Written Jan 4, 2008

Coffee Shop El Sokarya, Giza

I visited Coffee Shop El Sokarya in Giza for a drink one afternoon in November 2007, having just come from visiting the famous Pyramids and Sphinx nearby.

This local café is located on the main street of Sharia Abu el-Hol, less than 10 minutes walk from the exit of the Pyramids site.

Having spent the morning amongst hundreds of tourists at the Pyramids, I had every intention of seeing some of the less touristy sides of Giza – and this café was exactly what I was looking for. The outdoor tables were occupied by local men smoking shisha pipes and drinking coffee, and the dark shady interior looked like the ideal place to escape from the afternoon sun for a while.

I took a seat at one of the simple plastic tables inside and ordered a glass of mint tea and a bottle of mineral water.

The friendly waiter soon brought my glass of tea and a bowl of sugar over to my table, and I kicked back my heels and watched the slow-paced local activity all around me.

The tea contained both a tea bag and a generous portion of mint leaves – making it one of the strongest, most flavoursome cups of mint tea that I’ve ever had. I added plenty of sugar to satisfy my sweet tooth. The total cost of my mint tea, my bottled water and my half hour of relaxing voyeurism was a mere 10 EGP (1 GBP).

An atmospheric local café, within walking distance of the Pyramids. Stop by for a refreshing mint tea. Highly recommended!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Pyramids Restaurant: Kebabs near the Pyramids

by SWFC_Fan Written Jan 4, 2008

Pyramids Restaurant, Giza

I ate at Pyramids Restaurant in Giza one afternoon in November 2007, having just spent the morning visiting the famous Pyramids and Sphinx.

Pyramids Restaurant is located just a few minutes away from the exit to the Pyramids site; simply exit the site near the Sphinx, turn left onto the dusty main street of Sharia Abu el-Hol and you'll find this restaurant on the left hand side about 5 minutes walk away.

Despite its location close to one of the world's most famous tourist attractions, and its rather tacky sounding name, this no-frills restaurant was actually devoid of tourists when I visited, with just a handful of locals dining there. Maybe my timing was just right, and the restaurant is usually swamped with tourists, but I didn't get that feeling about the place. For starters, the menu out front is in Arabic only. Secondly, the interior is very basic, with no real concessions to tourism. Most importantly, it is just a few minutes away from the Pizza Hut - and the tourists were swarming around there!

A small English language menu is available inside, and you can choose from a selection of largely local meat dishes. A few dishes that I noted were pigeon, liver, kebabs, kofta, chicken kebabs, fava beans, spaghetti with sauce, rice with sauce, soup, salad and shwarma sandwiches.

I could see the rather unhygienic looking kitchen from where I was sat, with raw meat on the side. This was my first meal in Egypt and I was a little apprehensive about ordering meat, for fear of getting some form of bug. However, I can happily state that my meal was extremely well cooked and I suffered no ill effects.

A 10% service and cover charge was added to my bill and included a bottle of cold mineral water.

Favorite Dish: I opted for:

Chicken kebabs - Cost: 15 EGP (approx. 1.50 GBP)

Six pieces of very well cooked chicken, grilled until it was almost black - just the way I prefer my meat! There was no skewer that I associate with kebabs, but some of the meat displayed holes that showed that it had been cooked on a skewer. Served with salad and a generously sized bowl of flat bread.

Orange Fanta (330ml can) - Cost: 3 EGP (approx. 0.30 GBP)

Tasty and well cooked kebabs, and a good choice of other meat dishes, in a restaurant that isn't as touristy as it sounds.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

Sphinx Sun 2: Giza Restaurant

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Dec 16, 2007

Giza - Sphinx Sun 2 Restaurant

There are a lot of restaurants around the Plateau of Giza. Our guide suggested us “Sphinx Sun 2” restaurant with buffet for a dinner. It was rather quick and cheap supper. It costed 35 LE ($7). The meals were similar to those on the cruise boat. As everywhere in Egypt there were various cakes and water-melons for dessert.

You may watch my VIDEO-Clip from my personal YouTube channel: 29 sec Egypt Giza Sphinx Sun 2 Restaurant 2007

• MM212's Profile Photo

The Oasis: The Resting Spot After The Pyramids

by MM212 Updated May 16, 2007

Mena House Entrance

The Oasis poolside restaurant at Mena House Oberoi Hotel is a fantastic place to dine with a stunning view of the Pyramids. It is recommended to end your tour of the Pyramids here, either for a drink or a full meal. It is a nice place to dust off the sand on your shoes! The hotel is located a short distance from the main entrance to the enclosure of the Pyramids.

• Luxury Travel

• Childish's Profile Photo

Sahara Restaurant

by Childish Written Jan 18, 2007

Egypt, Giza, Sahara Restaurant

The food was good. But what is more precious related to this restaurant is the view of the pyramids from the top of the restaurant.
    We went there to have a late lunch after it became clear that we will miss the visit of the pyramids that day. It was the first day after we arrived and we had already visited Memphis i Saqqara. Staying at Mena House and not being able to see the pyramids was kind of annoying. We had to take the night train to Luxor, so the visit to the pyramids were postponed for the last day of our stay in Egypt.
    So, I could not miss the opportunity to get on the top of Sahara restaurant and to look at the pyramids. Unfortunately, it was cloudy, so my pictures are not very good.

• Raffies's Profile Photo

Pizza hut: Eating by the sphinx

by Raffies Written Jul 11, 2006

the Pizza hut in front of the sphinx and the pyramids area , is really located in an amazing location allows you to have a great view of the pyramids and the sphinx , you can enjoy that view while eating , it is also a good location for photographers .
    Also you can go upstairs to the roaf and have another nice view .

Favorite Dish: I'm not that pizza lover anyway ..

• saraheg77's Profile Photo

Rahoma Grill 55: Good food on the way to the Pyramids!

by saraheg77 Updated Apr 20, 2005

Grill 55

On our way to the Pyramids Sound & Light Show, we stopped to have dinner at the Grill 55. They had a buffet with traditional Egyptian foods. The main dishes were very good, but I don't think the Egyptians know how to make tasty desserts :) They definitely don't have enough chocolate! :) If you see this restaurant on your way to the pyramid show, make sure and stop in!

Favorite Dish: Too many to choose from!

• Archeology
    • Desert

• saraheg77's Profile Photo

Felfela Take-Away: Falafels to go!

by saraheg77 Updated Apr 20, 2005

Falafels Fast!

This was the take-away restaurant next to the sit-down restaurant of the same name. We just got the take-away and it was excellent and soooo inexpensive! One falafel was less than one Egyptian pound ($0.16)!!! I'm not sure if this take-away has other locations in the city or not, but if you see one, be sure to stop!

Favorite Dish: The falafels were excellent! I didn't imagine a fried bean patty could be so tasty!

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

the greenery: delicious.. but not really authentic

by call_me_rhia Updated Mar 15, 2005

pannacotta

The Greenery is the mediterranean restaurant of the Mena House Oberoi in Giza. Why we went there is simple: my partner was having stomach problems and trusted "home" food more than Egyptian food.

Favorite Dish: A beautiful restaurant with a decent selection of pasta dishes. But what left me speechless was the dessert: bicoloured pannacotta!

• Archeology

KFC: Finger Lickin' Chicken

by ATXtraveler Written Jan 4, 2005

KFC Eqypt

Imagine the crazy face I made when we came out of the Sphinx viewing area, looking for a place to sit out of the sun, since Sarah had a little mild heatstroke, to find a Kentucky Fried Chicken!!

Favorite Dish: I had the chicken strips, with hope of coaxing Sarah to eat something... although it did not work, just a diet coke for her :)

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Felfela Restaurant: Outside the Pyramid's Cheapest Meals!

by ATXtraveler Written Jan 4, 2005

Felfela

During our guided tour of Egypt, we were able to stop off at Felfela before going on to the Pyramids.

Instead of taking time to sit down and eat, we all decided to grab Take-Away, at Felafela's to-go stand.

What a delicious meal for only $.28 USD!!!

That's right, I said less than one dollar. I had two delicious Falafels for roughly 14 cents each!! More than filling, but if I went back I would probably have four!

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Mena House Oberoi: powder your nose like a king or queen

by globetrott Updated Dec 11, 2004

Mena House Oberoi was in fact the very best hotel I have ever been to .
    The passengers of our cruiseship M/S Vistafjord had their afternoon-tea there and it was the best possibility for us to find a public restroom close to the pyramids...

I still remember, that there was a servant with a hotel-uniform standing close to the washing-basin, who did nothing else than watching the people wash their hands and he would hand over and hold a fresh towel, so I could dry my hands...
    ...and of course he had a full-size fresh towel for each and every guest and threw it in a waste-box directely afterwards !

Favorite Dish: We had the afternoon-tea there with cakes, small sandwiches and great English Tea.
    It was a humid, hot day and the airconditioned restaurant was a perfect place to relax a bit from the busride from the centre of Kairo to the Pyramids...

And while I thought first of having any cold drink & a lot of ice , I soon found out that hot tea is the very best remedy against the heat !

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

Cafe 55: Buffet with a view of the pyramids

by ATXtraveler Updated May 22, 2004

A little piece of everything in the restaurant.

During our first night in Cairo, we were on the way to see the Sound and Light Show at the Giza Pyramids. Our tour group all stopped into Cafe 55 for a dinner at twilight, less than a block away from the enterance to the Sphinx with a wonderful view of the Pyramids. It is served buffet style, and there were tons of different foods, including felafel, hummus, stewed beef, and lots of great desserts!

Favorite Dish: Since this is buffet style, I had a little taste of everything, as evidenced by my plate!

Instant Answers: Pyramids of Giza

Comments

Pyramids of Giza Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Pyramids of Giza restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pyramids of Giza sightseeing.

View all Pyramids of Giza hotels