Felfela Restaurant, Cairo

• HebaM's Profile Photo

Felfela: Overrated restaurant

by HebaM Updated Aug 31, 2012

Leonie@Felfela

Overrated and overpriced restaurant! I have always wondered why this place is so popular especially among tourists? then after going there with my Dutch friend & her boyfriend and drink the worst lemonade ever I just realized if it wasn't for the location (Down town), the alcoholic and being mentioned in several guidebooks...No one would have ever consider going there! (my opinion)
    There's nothing special about that place! you can do better with the same price

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

Felfela: Authentic local food

by colin_bramso Updated Sep 10, 2011
    Beautiful garden.

Almost an oasis in the bustle & pollution of Cairo, it's set in a relaxing garden. You have the choice of eating inside or at one of the garden tables.

The customers are almost exclusively Egyptian, so you can be assured it's authentic food, and there are some 'international' items on the menu too. Service and food are excellent and the atmosphere is relaxed and welcoming.

Favorite Dish: Taamia Felfela, which is falafel with minced meat, Bassara, which is traditional falafel with herbs & spices, stuffed vine leaves, done the Egyptian way which is cooked and served warm, chicken kabab.

• June.b's Profile Photo

Felfela: Felfela - delicious comfort food

by June.b Written Jun 22, 2011

Koshary

I got used eating Egypt's national food - the Koshary and one day I passed by Felfela Restaurant and ordered one for takeout, the one in Talat Harb Street near Tahrir. Aside from koshary, this restaurant has a wide variety of meals to choose from. Cheap, delicious and popular also among locals and tourists. A bowl of koshary (medium) costs only about EGP7.

It's a chain resto, they have several branches.

• felfela cairo: thieves

by mohamrekia Updated Jan 8, 2011
    drink price menu jan 8, 2011

On a recent three week tour of Egypt to see the pyramids and visit friends who work at the embassy I visited Felfela twice with Egyptian friends. The first time the Capitan Waiter (per nametag) asked for 35 Egyptian Pounds for a beer that the menu listed for EP 19 + 10% tax and 12% service fee (apex 23.50) or 15 for coffee/tea/soda which should be EP7.50. When I disputed it he admitted his mistake, charged me correctly and refunded what he had already overcharged others in my group.

The second time we went my wife paid while I was in the bathroom and when I discovered she had been overcharged EP75 instead of EP42 for beer, coffee and sodas the waiter denied the overcharging and showed me a single typed page which said the price was EP23.50 including tax and service but said "including" was a typo and crossed it out on the price list. When I pointed out that EP23.50 plus tax and service still did not total EP35 or turn EP7.50 to EP15 he called the manager over. To my utter amazement the manager agreed with the waiter and refused to return the EP33 extra I had been charged for all the drinks my wife had overpaid for. Later, when I explained I would report it to the tourist police and write to all the blogs and guide books, he offered to refund my money and give me free dessert. Then they charged the rest of my friends the correct prices and promised to do anything to make me happy. Of course my 2 Egyptian Phd companions helped with the translation when the winter and manager suddenly couldn't understand english after earlier having displayed almost absolute fluency.

This restaurant gets hundreds of tourist with tour groups every day and clearly does it all of them with the knowing complicity of the manager. I don't see why, since even 24 or 7.50 pounds is triple the normal prices. I find it hard to imagine that a restaurant owner shrewd enough to build such a successful business is not complicit when it is her honor and livelihood at stake. I can only believe that they are convinced that the benefit of getting away with it most of the time outweighs a few irate customers and they don't believe stealing from tourists can have a permanent impact since we leave after the trip.

It doesn't matter to me if the employees are screwing the owner, or the owner is screwing the tax man and the church by underreporting income and paying less tax and tithe, but it is not a practice I think foreign tourists should encourage. If there is a posted price that you order from, that is what you should pay. If a restaurant with an otherwise decent reputation will conspire to screw its customer on the price of beverages, it doesn't take much imagination to wonder if they are recycling left over hummus, rice, soup, etc from the customer in the chair before you. If you read this consider discouraging this practice by not going to the restaurant.

• felfela cairo: thieves

by mohamrekia Written Jan 8, 2011

Although the interior and staff are crafted to give a foreign visitor the impression of safe cleanliness and refined manners, the bilingual waiters AND management are well practiced thieves. On a recent three week tour I visited Felfela twice with Egyptian friends. The first time the Capitan Waiter (per nametag) asked for 35 Egyptian Pounds for a beer that the menu salisted for EP 19 + 10% tax and 12% service fee (apex 23.50). When I disputed it he admitted his mistake, charged me correctly and refunded what he had already overcharged others in my group. The second time we went the waiter denied the overcharging and showed me a single typed page which said the price was 23.50 including tax and service but said" including" was a typo. When I pointed out that 23.50 plus tax and service still did not total 35 he called the manager over. To my utter amazement the manager agreed with the waiter and refused to return the 30 extra I had been charged for all the drinks I paid for. Later when I explained I would report it to the tourists police and write to all the blobs and guide books he offered to refund only 10 and give me free dessert. Then they charged the rest of my friends the correct prices. This restaurant gets hundreds of tourist with tour groups every day and clearly does it all of them with the knowing complicity of the manager. I don't see why, since even 24 pounds is triple the normal price for a beer. I find it hard to imagine that a restaurant owner shrewd enough to build such a successful business in egypt where questionable business practices are seen regulaly is not complicit with the waiter and manager for a kickback. It doesn't matter to me if they are screwing the owner, or the owner is screwing the tax man and the church by underreporting income and paying less tax and tithe, but it is not a practice I thing foreign tourists should encourage. If there is a posted price that you order from, that is what you should pay. If a restaurant with an otherwise decent reputation will conspire to screw its customer on the posted price of beverages, it doesn't take much imagination to wonder if they are recycling left over hummus etc from the last customer in the chair before you. If you read this consider discouraging this practice by not going to the restaurant.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo

Felfela: Fast Food Egyptian Style

by easterntrekker Written Apr 8, 2010

Our first offer was to go to a "buffet" for about $20.00 each. This is a lot by Egyptian standards and is a cash grab for tourists.

With some pressure from us our guide eventually remembered a local place, which turned out to be a chain called Felfela. This was
    wonderful. We had a feast of a fluffy sort of pita, hummus, salad, veggie burgers, and grilled meat all for about $7.00 each.
    We'd go again!! This is a great way to sample some local dishes on the cheap!

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo

Felfela Takeaway: Fast Food Egyptian style

by TheLongTone Updated Feb 6, 2010

There are two Felafel operations. The first is a chain of fast-food outlets doing the Egyptian street-food staples ...falafel, fuul, eggs, fries &c. The setup is easy to follow: you pay first , get a ticket which you give to a counterhand, you get your food. It's edible enough (Egyptians eat the stuff) & the prices reasonable: (Egyptians eat the stuff) & the computer ticket system means you know you're not getting ripped off. althoght the prices on the signboard are a bit out of date. (current inflation rate in Egypt is near 8%) It's pretty well spotless and you can get in one hit a combination of things that might involve two or three vendors if bought on the street.

You can sit and eat there (standing up with the TV seemingly always playing Umm Kulthoum) or take your food away.

The restaurant, a few doors up, is a different kettle of fish. I personally disliked it a lot.
    I thought the decor cheesy, the food (stuffed pigeon) indifferent and the service dreadful.

Favorite Dish: Takeaway: You can do better, but you can do a lot worse.

Restaurant: The food is no reason to come here. If you don't like the ambiance, AVOID

• poons's Profile Photo

Felfela - Downtown Cairo: Good Egyptian & Vegetarian Food

by poons Written Mar 27, 2009

Great authentic atmosphere in this restaurant (interesting birdcages & fishtanks around).
    Very popular and busy. Get there early, or make a reservation.

Amusing and charismatic staff.

Many dishes to suit vegetarians.

Again, not the cheapest. If I recall we paid 400LE (approx. £30). For a mixed mezze for 2 (around 4 dishes), 2 beers and 2 glasses of wine.

The food was REALLY tasty in here though.... I even preferred it to Abou El Sid's.

Favorite Dish: Again a mix of Mezze dishes for me.
    My favourite was the Shakshouka (a dish of baked vegetables, topped with a fried egg, then finished with spicy minced beef and parsley).

• MikeBird's Profile Photo

Felfela: Clean, cheerful and authentic Egyptian

by MikeBird Updated Feb 6, 2009

A busy restaurant located just off Talaat Harb Street. Greeted by a Maitre D and quickly shown to a clean and pleasant table ready for us. They had a good selection of Egyptian/Middle eastern foods or less exotic if you're not feeling too adventurous. The service was prompt and the waiters very pleasant with sufficient English. There is plenty on the menu for Vegetarians.
    We all enjoyed our meal and felt satisfied at the end. I can't remember the bill at the end but it was probably in the order of about GB£6 - 7 each including drinks.

Favorite Dish: The Baba Ganouche ( pureed aubergine) as a starter was very good. We were all very hungry and they kept bringing more unleavened bread to mop up the various mezze dishes. My daughter enjoyed her chips and she liked the chicken as well - no complaints.

• chizz's Profile Photo

Felfela Restaurant: Typical local food

by chizz Updated Jan 5, 2009
    Inside Felfela Restaurant

Went for lunch here with our tour group. Nice traditional restaurant with outdoor seating areas too. We ordered the lunch set menu which cost around LE50 per person and included mezze, a choice of three main dishes (local dish, shish kebab, etc) and a traditional rice dessert. Drinks were extra. There is also a Felfela takeaway restaurant near to the restaurant entrance.

Favorite Dish: Shish kebab

• remsteel's Profile Photo

Felafela: Mango Juice @ Felafela

by remsteel Written Mar 31, 2008

The ambience is very nice. the mango juice was absolutely worth it. But then I realized that they do really good mango juice. But the entire setting of the restaurant is peaceful and cool.

I wasn't too impressed with the hummous. There seemed to be an extra tinge of tahina sauce.

Favorite Dish: Mango Juice by far. We had Khusrey - bean, rice, pasta and tomatoe sauce mixed together - not too bad.
    Lentil soup was good.

• The FAt Black Pussycat: NAsty little place

by KeyaraRedmond Written Mar 18, 2008

The food was nasty and made me take a crap on myself it pissed me off that i spent that much of my american money with these retarded people man i was so mad never go there if you want to die im lost my leg in that place never never never never never ever eat there again.

Favorite Dish: the food was nasty

• MM212's Profile Photo

Felfela Restaurant: Great restaurant for Egyptian Cuisine

by MM212 Updated Jan 5, 2008

Located in downtown Cairo, steps from Talaat Harb Street, Felfela is Cairo's most famous restaurant for traditional Egyptian cuisine. The large dining room is cavernous and divided into several areas, each of which is decorated with old world antiques. Due to its fame and ability to accommodate large groups, Felfela is popular among tourists. However, it is also popular among the Cairene population. It is well worth a visit for a safe introduction to authentic Egyptian cuisine.

Favorite Dish: Koshari and Om Ali (for dessert).

• PierreZA's Profile Photo

Felfela Restaurant: Local food

by PierreZA Updated Oct 6, 2007

Fruit seller - Cairo

A great old restaurant, with good service and very good food.
    The interior/decor is difficult to describe, but needs to be experienced!
    Some great local food and also vegeterian options.
    Remember that taxes of about 22% gets added to the bill.

Favorite Dish: Kofta

• Felfela Restaurant: Take Away Food For Your Giza Tour

by pangtidor Written Mar 8, 2007

Felfela Take Away

I thought it was only an ordinary take away cafe in Giza. After reading the tips from other members, I found out that Felfela is a chain restaurant actually. Anyway, the one I am going to write is Felfela cafe, JUST FOR TAKE AWAY, in Giza near the pyramids. I and my friend took the step pyramids, Giza tour and shopping, and sound and the light show within a day so eating our lunch in a restaurant could waste our time in Giza. Drop by in Felfela cafe to take your food and eat your lunch in the car when you go to the pyramids. Eating in the car will be ok for most of the tour cars. There will be many people in that cafe. You just go to the cashier first and ask her/his advices for your meal, they can speak English well. Pay your meal, collect your coupon, and give your it to the attendants, on the sides of the cashier. Your meal will be ready within a minute. It is located on the main road and having limited parking area. Well, it is only a fast food take away cafe, you can not accept more. Anyway, the taste is good and you could spend more time in the pyramids instead of the restaurant.:-))

Favorite Dish: Try shawarma chicken, a sandwich with marinated chicken grill filling. Shishtawouk is a good choice for a heavier meal. There is a big pancake with the honey on top. I forget what the name is.

Instant Answers: Cairo

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2013 at 5:36 AM

Why do people planning to travel to Egypt at the present time- August 2013- not take notice of what is going on in Cairo and the country in general. Although I was in Cairo when the initial uprising occurred, and lived across the river from Downtown, it was a bit worrying to hear shots and sirens during the night, and the running out of bread, and money. Then the people were still friendly and optimistic.
    But now I have persuaded my husband not to go, though he needs to. When people are frustrated and opposing factions clash, it is not advisable for anyone to go.
    Travellers have to be responsible and listen to what is going on in the world, and not ask people though they know the country fairly well from having lived there, what the situation is some 10 years on.

Hotels Near Felfela Restaurant