Stores, Malls or Markets in Cairo

Most Viewed Shopping in Cairo

• dutchboycalledjan's Profile Photo

Tax free shops: Tax free shopping within 48 hours

by dutchboycalledjan Updated Jul 19, 2010

When I visited Egypt my guide did appreciate - even asked - to buy him a bottle of (tax free) whiskey in one of the special stores in Egypt (also in Cairo) were foreigners can buy tax free within 48 hours after arriving. He took us to this store and made his choices (my wife had a passport too). I asked him: "but you're Muslim?" To which he replied laughing: I sometimes get visitors at home who are bad Muslims. There are other tax free items in this store too, perhaps you can offer a visit to this tax free store. Best.

Jan Lelie

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo

Talaat Harb

by TheLongTone Updated Jun 26, 2010

Talaat Harb is one of the principal shopping streets of downtown Cairo. Lots of clothes and shoe shops. As such it is for Cairenes rather than tourists except right down the bottom where it debouches into Maidan Tahrir. But there are several shops selling excellent sweets and pastries, and the shop window displays of improbably scanty ladies undies give an interesting insight into a modern islamic country.

• clueless83's Profile Photo

Aegyptus Papyrus: Where to buy genuine papyrus

by clueless83 Written Jun 13, 2010

So you want to buy some papyrus art as a souvenir? Our guide recommended Aegyptus Papyrus.

Inside, we were given a demonstration as to how papyrus is made and they also offered us some odd tasting tea. We were then free to browse the shop and buy some papyrus art.

The people in the shop told us that genuine papyrus is strong and has fibres and cross hatches (horizontal and vertical lines) running through it, fake papyrus however is made from banana leaf which is extremely brittle and does not have the cross hatched lines. Many of the touristy shops and stalls will be selling the fake stuff (which we did see in Naama Bay).

What to pay: The papyrus is very reasonably priced and we picked up a piece that was just £5 UK sterling (approx 50 Egyptian pounds). Quite a good souvenir I think!

• Dyesebel's Profile Photo

Bazaars and Archeological Sites: Souvenirs

by Dyesebel Updated Jan 24, 2010

Most of the souvenirs can be bought where the main attraction sites are.But to get a good price,Bazaars are the right place to go.But you will have headache,coz as you enter the place,the sellers hassle you nonstop,trying to sell you things you don't like or not looking for.Some can be very aggresive but just politely refuse.You can always bargain but it requires humor and patience;)
    I noticed as well that there are shops with a sign HASSLE FREE SHOPPING,I think it really means a lot;) esp. to the shoppers who want to shop at their own pace.

What to buy: I'm a great lover of snowballs;) I collect each city I've been.I remember,I went to a shop and the guy was selling it for 140 LE for a small snowball with pyramid in it,so I refused then went to another shop,just few blocks away,I found a bigger snowball and looked new for just 45 LE,even bargained it to 40 LE.

Another best souvenir to buy is painted Papyrus.You'll see a lot of difference when you're buying in bazaar or in the museum.In Bazaars,the painted papyrus look of course very beautiful but not so artistic,like its only "copied and paste" on the papyrus.While the one I bought in the Papyrus museum looks so lively and well handpainted.I can be wrong tho'.
    Anyway,some shops offer to have your name made up into a cartouche of Egyptian script in just few minutes or max. an hour.

• zanzooni's Profile Photo

City Stars Mall: Shop to you drop!

by zanzooni Written Dec 6, 2009

It's not a shop, it's the largest mall in Cairo and very upscale. It has everything! And I do mean everything! Virgin Atlantic, restaurants from the US-Chili's, Macaroni Grill, Friday's, Starbucks, Rainforest Cafe, Fuddrucker's, Burger King, Cinnabon, Johnny Rocket's, Carvel, Ruby Tuesday, etc. London Fish and Chips, Wagamama, etc. And that's just some of the food...and there's plenty more to shop and do.

What to buy: What ever you want...

What to pay: How much do you want to spend? The sky is not the limit here.

Outside the Mall Yes, Stop before you drop.
    • Luxury Travel
    • Gay and Lesbian

• Delia_Madalina's Profile Photo

Al Diwan Bookshop: Books books and more books

by Delia_Madalina Updated Jun 30, 2009

Situated on the famous 26th of July Street, Al Diwan is the bookshop everybody directs you to if you're looking for books in either English or French.
    It's also the best place to search for books of Egyptian writers. For Example Naguib Mahfouz's books were not translated into Romanian so I had the chance to buy them from here.
    It also has a little cafe where you can enjoy reading a few pages of the book you've chosen.

Some people are better than I am at writing reviews so take my advice and read this article from the Al Ahram weekly to better understand the concept :
    To cultivate your garden

What to buy: No one sleeps in Alexandria - Ibrahim Abdel Meguid and any Naguib Mahfouz's books
    Cds with traditional music
    Wonderful crafted bookmarks

What to pay: for Robert Fisk's Pitty the Nation - Lebanon at War I paid 119 L.

No One Sleeps in Alexandria A bilingual edition of The Prophet Pitty the nation : Lebanon at war

• Oriental Weavers: Carpets

by TTRefuge Written Mar 23, 2009

Fixed price carpet shops.

What to buy: If you are thinking of buying a carpet or two then you can go to many of the local shops. But do you know what price you should really pay?
    If you don't then it may be worth going to Oriental Weavers near the Khan market, or in Heliopolis or on the Ring Road north of Carrefour, Maadi, and looking there.
    They have a vast range of carpets and all are priced so you know what to pay. There is no hassle and no haggling though as the prices are fixed.

• freddie18's Profile Photo

Golden Eagle Papyrus: Special Papyrus for Special Price

by freddie18 Written Jan 18, 2009

On our way to Sakkara sightseeing, our tour guide asked us if we want to have a look at a factory of papyrus. We dropped by and greeted by an assigned salesman.

We did not waste time, we realized that we are in front of a table with stems of the plant used in making papyrus. The guy demo the basic procedure. Then gave us a piece of paper, go around and see the finished product with paintings. All the paintings are priced, most are expensive up to thousand of dollars. It did not take us 15 minutes to go around. I thought I cannot afford to buy this kind of stuff. These are so expensive. They could be genuine, but it was not my idea of shopping.

Well, if you think you want an experience, ask your tour guide to take you to this store and you will see what I am talking about. The name of the store is Golden Eagle Papyrus as you can see in the photos I posted here.

What to buy: Papyrus, Papyrus, and Papyrus

What to pay: From US$50 to US$2000

Golden Eagle Papyrus Factory in Cairo Egypt Factory in Making Papyrus in Sakkara Cairo Egypt Papyrus Store in Sakkara Cairo Egypt
    • Museum Visits

• chizz's Profile Photo

International Papyrus Centre: Authentic Papyrus

by chizz Written Jan 7, 2009

Part of our tour was to visit this papyrus shop where we were assured that the stuff sold is the genuine article, as opposed to the papyrus they sell in the tourist markets.
    We were given a short demonstration of how the papyrus is made and then you could wander around the showroom looking at the many examples before deciding to buy.
    Prices were quite high here but they had some pretty designs and you could have one custom made with your name in hieroglyphics.

What to buy: Papyrus

What to pay: From around 100LE and up to many thousands of LE!!

Demonstration of how papyrus is made - Cairo Demonstration of how papyrus is made - Cairo

• illumina's Profile Photo

Street Markets: Street food 1

by illumina Written Jan 5, 2009

At the top of Talaat Harb, just before Midan Orabi (and on the left!), we discovered a little street market selling lots of fruit and veg, flat bread, and the strange little pizzas called fiteer. It's actually a really atmospheric place to wander around in the evening, and the food is cheap (fiteer were 1.50LE).

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

various in Coptic Cairo: Coptic arts and crafts

by uglyscot Written Nov 24, 2008

When in Coptic Cairo there are many shops selling the typical crafts of these people. Common are decorated metal lanterns, lamps in various shapes and sizes, and pottery.

Of course, they are out to make a profit, but do try to bargain, or go elsewhere, Som e of the items may be found at more reasonable prices in Khan el Khalili

What to buy: I liked the pottery ornaments of traditional life- small figures of people doing their traditional crafts' houses in different styles;but my special favourite was a dovecote, because I was fascinated by them when travelling in the countryside.
    I also liked buying gifts of candleholders or scent burners. One in the shape of a tortoise was a favourite.

What to pay: anything can be got at is a reasonable price for foreigners, especially if you bargain.

Dovecote ornament

• DunaKal's Profile Photo

El Agaty: Silver company

by DunaKal Updated Sep 1, 2008

I have been to this shop this year(2006),it has a large variety of many silver items,whether it`s silver jewelry,silver frames,key chains..so many things to choose from.
    I have been told that it has sevral shops around cairo(even in Khan el Khalil)but I visited the one in Dokki/Mohandiseen area.

What to buy: I bought a key chain for my husband,a bracelet for myself and was given an anklet and a ring as a gift.
    :-D Yayyy!

key chain
    • Business Travel

• bobbymg's Profile Photo

buying pairus in Egypt

by bobbymg Written Jun 17, 2008

G" day there
    well if you want a nice souvenir for back home you can goto Khan ElKhalili its just in the centre in an area call Attabba.
    i bought some papyrus (heaps of them) for 2.50 pound each.they sell it for 25 pounds. as well i bought some oil perfumes ,but the better ones are in Dubai.
    also gold as well.
    i bough as well some silk shirts for my friends in Croatia and they love it.
    are ya flyn by Emirates ?
    if you do try to join their rewards program,i had 4 free tickets from Dubai to Cairo. all i paid was 10AUD$ for the tax.
    have fun in Egypt.
    P.S
    when are ya flyn?
    get some mint oil for the mosquites ,even an electric buzzer ll be great.
    have fun and enjoy your trip
    Cheers :-)

• Heidelinde's Profile Photo

Um el Nour - Silver: Silver gifts - all kind of silver jewelry

by Heidelinde Written Jun 16, 2008

The shop is small but well sorted. The owner speaks German very well.

What to buy: Here you can buy modern or traditional silver jewelry like bracelets, chains, rings, earrings, key rings, silver plates (engraved or not) ... at a fair price.

• Heidelinde's Profile Photo

Um el Nour - Silver: Silver gifts - all kind of silver jewelry

by Heidelinde Written Jun 16, 2008

The shop is small but well sorted. The owner speaks German very well.

Cairo Hotels

Hilton Pyramids Golf
Latest: Jul 19, 2014
Hotel Longchamps

Instant Answers: Cairo

Comments

Cairo Shopping

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Cairo locals.
Map of Cairo