The Huge and currently under renovation Saint George Church in Coptic Cairo is the seat of the Patriarchate of Alexandria, the local Greek Orthodox Church of Egypt. The Church and it's monastery is in The Coptic Cairo area of Old Cairo and was built during the 10th century, during the rule of the Fatimids. the Church is separate from the main wall of Coptic Cairo and inside the church complex are the greek orthodox cemetery and offices of the greek orthodox church. the church is open from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm everyday and inside are the underground levels of th church is the cypts housing the Patriarch of Yesteryears. the style of the church is ancient roman as it was believed to be built on the remains of an old roman garrison.
The Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Alexandria (Egpyt) headquarters is at the Saint George Church and just lying north of the Church is the huge Greek Orthodox Cemetery, where prominent greek orthodox clergymen and laity through the ages are interred. the cemetery lies near the main entrance to Coptic Cairo and is often mistaken as a Coptic Christian Cemetery.The Cemetery is closed at present to tourists and the gates are often closed. After the Cemetery is the Cairo Metro Station of Mar Girgis, which connects the district via the metro to other parts of Greater Cairo.
A greek orthodox church, the Orthodox Church of St. George is the only round church in Egypt. Originally built during the 10th century, the present church standing is actually built in 1904.
The entrance of the complex is through a gate along the main road and you will have to ascend a long wide flight of stairs going to the inside of the church. St. George is a popular warrior saint. The church is the seat of the Greek Patriarch of Alexandria. The interior and dome of the church is impressive albeit dark.
Adjoining the Monastery of St. George, the round church is few steps (and hugely visible) from the Mar Girgis Metro station.
Entry is free.
The Churge of St. George is a complex that includes both a church and a monastery, next beside the Babylon Fortress. You won't miss it, it's a huge round church (the only one in Egypt), few steps from the Mar Girgis Metro Station.
The church is built on top of an existing roman tower. Founded during the 10th century.
Its open from 9am - 4pm, and just like most attractions around the coptic area --- entry is Free!
Greek Chapel of St George
There is a lot of reconstruction still going on here ,so we took only a quick stop. Inside the majority of the church is strewn with rubble. The highlight is a chamber featuring a chain that was used to hang St George. The faithful take there turn kissing the chain and receiving the blessing.
The whole complex is dedicated to St.George, the saint-warrior who was the roman soldier. The Monastery dates from 7th century. The buildings of the nunnery were closed to the public but it was nice just to have a peep in the peaceful gardens and admire the exterior of this holly place.
The nuns take care of the whole compund including the Church.
St. Georgre Chapel is the most interesting part of the Monastery complex. It has been converted into Church in 15th century, before, it was the place used by Mamelukes. The main feature of the chapel is the double door of the extreme height of about 7 meters. The door separate an altar from the rest of the chapel. Other very interesting thing is the chain put on the wall of the Chapel. According to local belief, the chains of St George possess the power to cure from mental and some other illnesses.
One of the few rounded churches in the Middle East, the Greek Orthodox Church of St George owes its shape to the fact that it was built on one of the round towers of the Roman wall of the Fort of Babylon. The current structure was built only in 1909 to replaced a previous ancient church following a devastating fire in 1905. Although rebuilt several times during its history, the original church was built on this site in the 7th century. It was a Coptic church in its early days, but has been Greek Orthodox since the 15th century.
This 10th Century church is notable in that Joseph, Mary, and the baby Jesus spent some time on the grounds of a previous building. A fire burned the church in 1904 and this new building was built in 1909. It retains some of the stained-glass windows of the old church as well as maintaining the shape produced by being built on top of a rounded Roman Tower. Although, both the Copts and the Greeks have a running battle as to who actually owns the church, it has been a Greek Orthodox run church since the 15th century.
Built on the ruins of an ancient church, it was named after St. George, the victim of Roman persecution.
This is one of the few round churches in Egypt and has a unique hall dating to the 13th Century AD.
The church was damaged by a fire in 1904 and was rebuilt in 1909.
Beautifully restored on the interior, after many fires gutted the structure. However, there has been a church here since around the 10th Century. If you have any trouble telling someone you want to visit this place, mention Mari Girgis, and they are sure to know where you are talking about.