Egyptian Museum, Cairo

by machomikemd
  • stevemt's Profile Photo

Disapointed with this

by stevemt Updated Feb 18, 2014

Apart from the no photography thing, which in many ways I can understand, I found the museum un kempt, ill labled, and dirty.

The 2 exceptions to this were the Tutankhamun section and the royal mummies. Both of these areas were great.

There is so much to see here, but there is so many things all jumbled together.

Glass cabinets have the glass joins taped together with yellowing sticky tape, many things are dusty, and the layout confusing in many ways..

Still worth a visit though to see things, but could be a lot lot better.

Due to the photography ban, the images here have been taken from Wikipedia.

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Most Famous Museum of The World (2)

by machomikemd Written Oct 28, 2013

part two of my tips with more pictures of the artifacts outside

The Egyptian National musuem is the most famous in the world as Egyptian Archeology is the most studied and most popular of the ancient civilizations. Unfortunately, you cannot take pictures of the huge number of artifacts, arts, jewellry pieces inside the museum as photography and videos are strictly not allowed inside. the museum sits in Midan Tahrir district and just lies across historic Tahrir Square. it houses more than 120,000 artifacts related to egyptian culture, of which only parts of it are on display in the showrooms and most are in the store rooms. I will only have two tips here as since no photography is allowed inside. you actually have to surrender to cameras at the tour bus guides and they have sensors inside that detect cameras.

There are seven sections within the museum that are arranged in chronological order:
    1. Tutankhamen's treasures. (most famous)
    2. Pre-dynasty and Old Kingdom monuments.
    3. First intermediate period and Middle Kingdom monuments.
    4. Monuments of the Middle Kingdom.
    5. Monuments of the late period and the Greek and Roman periods.
    6. Coins and papyri.
    7. Sarcophagi and scarabs.

you need at least 2 full days to have a thorough tour inside.

Opens: 8:00 am to 8:00 pm everyday
    admission price: 60 LE per person (included it the tour package price if on a group tour like us)
    Separate LE 100 admission ticket to view the Royal Mummy Collections.

• Photography

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Most Famous Museum of The World

by machomikemd Written Oct 28, 2013

1. Tutankhamen's treasures. (most famous)
    2. Pre-dynasty and Old Kingdom monuments.
    3. First intermediate period and Middle Kingdom monuments.
    4. Monuments of the Middle Kingdom.
    5. Monuments of the late period and the Greek and Roman periods.
    6. Coins and papyri.
    7. Sarcophagi and scarabs.

you need at least 2 full days to have a thorough tour inside.

Opens: 8:00 am to 8:00 pm everyday
    Separate LE 100 admission ticket to view the Royal Mummy Collections.

• RavensWing's Profile Photo

See the Old and Ancient

by RavensWing Updated Oct 13, 2013

Cairo Museum

We headed to the Cairo Museum. I managed to get one picture in, and then they told us if we had cameras we had to leave them with the security people at the front. There was so many people taking the same tour, within 5 minutes of each other. The Museum is massive! One could get lost in there. There are so many items to see while you're there. Feature exhibits are the treasures of Tutankhamen. If gold is not your thing, there are plenty of other treasures to see.

There are 107 halls filled with artifacts dating from the prehistoric through the Roman periods, with the majority of the collection focused on the pharaonic era. The museum houses approximately 160,000 objects covering 5,000 years of Egypt's past.

When you go there with a tour, they take everyone at the same time. Meaning that all tours into Egypt take their groups at the same time, always around 10:00. You are shoulder to shoulder with 1000's of people. All trying to look at the same thing you are looking it. It can be quite exasperating being around so many people. I actually got so frustrated with the crowd that by the time we were halfway done the tour I was ready to leave; the crowd over bearing.

They are open daily from 9:00am to 7:00pm; during Ramadan their hours change. It costs 60LE for a non Egyptian to go into the Museum. There are additional costs to go in and see The Royal Mummies Room (I believe this is where King Tutankhamun is mummified) and also the Centennial Gallery

**NOTE** If you head to the museum in the afternoon - all the tourists have gone through and there is virtually no one left. You can actually get a peaceful tour in without getting an elbow in the gut or your toes stepped on.

• xaver's Profile Photo

One of the sites in the world I had to visit

by xaver Written Jan 5, 2013

museum

The Egyptian museum was founded in 1857 and right now it contains the world largest collection of Egyptian and Greco-roman articrafts.
    The museum is huge and you would need days if you wanted to deeply observe any room.
    In my opinion if you intend to stay there a few hours you should make sure to not miss the rooms 22, 27, 32 and 37 with sarcophagies and grave goods of the middle kingdom, room 52 with mummies and the treasure of Tuyankamon which is extremely well preserved.
    It is forbidden to bring the camera inside, you should leave it in a sort of wardrobe outside of the museum and ofcourse the man there expects a tip when you ask the camera back.

Address: Midan el-Tahir, Maydan at-Tahrir, 11557 Cairo, Egypt
    Opening hours: 9am-4pm

• Architecture

• solopes's Profile Photo

Full warehouse

by solopes Updated Aug 22, 2012

Egypt - Cairo Museum

Maybe the richest museum that I've seen, left me with a sensation of... disappointment.

The collection is so big, so rich, that the display is too dense and inexpressive. Only the section of Tuthankamun glows in the whole, with the drawback that it is always crowded.

• Marcela.I's Profile Photo

Never miss king tut exhibition

by Marcela.I Written Aug 5, 2012

I have visited Egypt few months ago, actually what I cared about during this visit is to visit my beloved king tut in his tomb in the valley king, luxor and may be that is why i have deal with company bears the same name www.tuttravels.com
    anyway I started my trip with a visit to the egyptian museum in cairo downtown and actually it is more than marvelous place to visit specially the second floor where king tut exhibition is, his golden mask, his stick, his scepter all is wow !! how this young 16 years king ruled egypt and how lovely are his golden object..really do not miss at all..also do not miss visiting the young king body in valley king you will see how young and lovely this king was..

• Seniors

• John2012's Profile Photo

worth the visit

by John2012 Written Jun 10, 2012

we paid just 60LE to visit this museum this one one of the better value paid sights in Cairo. The museum is massive and crammed to the brim with artefacts from all Kingdoms of antiquity. There is very sporadic labelling but its use, language and presentation is ad-hoc. So bring a good museum guide book or better yet download one to your mobile phone for less.

• dplesko's Profile Photo

Museum Tour

by dplesko Written Jan 26, 2012

One of "must see" places, regardless there are more findings in other countries museums (f.e. British). It is good idea to take official guide trough museum. There are experts and there are not to expensive.

If they offer you visit to "Papirus Institute" that mean souvenir shop and try to avoid that.

• Cruise

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo

The Egyptian Museum

by colin_bramso Updated Sep 10, 2011

Cairo Museum

An obvious must-see, the museum contains the most amazing collection, from the gold mask of Tutankhamon to the humblest pottery items, and even some fabric clothing items several thousand years old. There are tiny items such as tools and some massive sandstone statues, and fascinating original photographs taken back in the nineteen-twenties & thirties at the moment the explorers discovered the items which are displayed. There's so much that there's really too much to absorb.

Entry fee is LE50. There's a separate chamber containing the royal mummies, entry to which is LE100. No photography is allowed inside the museum. (Their website gives different information).

I must say that I was disappointed that, like Cairo in general, the museum itself is badly maintained, run down, dingy. Even most of the exhibits are covered with dust and the display cases and signage are very poor quality and not cared for. That detracts from the splendour of the exhibits.

Also be prepared for big queues, for tour groups of 20 or 30 blocking the aisles and exhibits. And the heavy security all around the perimeter, with heavily armed para-military police, road blocks, metal detectors etc.

• single female travel with habibi tours

by TelvisElvis Written Jun 16, 2011

As a single female traveller I was slightly worried about being in Egypt on my own. But
    the minute I was picked up at the airport by the Habibi tours representative, I knew that
    everything was going to be ok. I was looked after from start to finish ! Habibi tours
    went out of their way to make sure I was safe and happy.
    One of the highlights was sleeping under the stars in the Sahara and being woken up by a
    desert fox licking my toes. Another was riding a camel to the pyramids. But what touched
    my heart the most was the generousity, charm and humour of the Eyptians along the way.
    They have such a sense of humour and I laughed so much !
    I have travelled and been ripped off all over the world, by dodgy tour companies, but
    Habibi has nothing but the customers best interests at heart and I thank them for that!
    Being a massive Elvis fan, I had the crazy idea to travel Egypt dressed as my my idol. It
    was my dream for the King to visit the Valley of the Kings ! You didn't bat and eyelid
    when I turned up in my 100 % Polyester jumpsuit and wig.
    Thanks Habibi Tours for making this possible for me.
    You guys rock and I would recommend you to everyone.
    Telvis (Germany)

• Cruise
    • Camping

• June.b's Profile Photo

Museum of Egyptian Antiquities

by June.b Updated Jun 13, 2011

Entrance to the museum.

Popularly known as Egyptian Museum and located near the famous Tahrir Square, and on the other side of the road where I was staying (Museum View Hotel).

I arrived early in the morning in Cairo from Luxor by flight which means I'm not totally exhausted even though I woke up at 3:00am to catch the 6:30am flight to Cairo. I checked in at the hotel before 9:00am and the first sight I saw on the balcony of the room is the pink or peach building of the Egyptian Museum on the opposite side of the road. So I said, I think I'm gonna go there today, so I did.

There are people taking their pictures in the big front courtyard of the museum building. I bought a ticket, and the Entry fee is EGP60 and there's a separate Entry fee of EGP100 (!) to the Royal Mummy room on the upper floor.

Upon entering the museum, there are people (young & old) who will approach you and offer their tour guide service, this will cost you on the average EGP100 -- to have someone accompany you inside the museum and tell you the stories of the most important artefacts -- which I am not really comfortable with so I kept on saying "NO" to this one guy who approached me 3 times and one younger guy once. I just want to see the stuff, read the small info on cards on some of them, wonder at so many amazing stuff and go, until suddenly I felt so sleepy, that was like after about 2 hours or less of roaming around and reached the mummy room.

In reality, you cannot get a full grasp of the museum or see even the most important artefacts in just a day. I want to spend sometime at those really interesting artefacts but as the hours move, my eyelids are starting to drop down everytime I stare longer than 30 sec at a piece. I said, I'll be back again there the following day, then the day after, but I got busy with other places to see that I end up not coming back -- the next time I'm in Cairo I will.

BTW, it's not allowed to take pictures inside the museum, I don't know why because in other countries you can, just don't turn on your flash. So before you enter, you have to leave your bags and camera at the counter beside the ticket counter. The guy there did not mention that I should get a numbered ticket for my stuff I left there, until I realized yeah there must be, otherwise how could I claim my stuff...and remember, this is Egypt. Leave your camera or bags, but not any valuables or money there.

Am sure there are people who got away with that camera prohibitions, just that I'm just a law-abiding non-citizen. I saw it, I enjoyed it, that's it!

• hebaemam's Profile Photo

The biggest ever

by hebaemam Updated May 20, 2011

you need to run if you want to finish it in one day and im sure you will be able too. it carries around 20 000 monuments, statues, papyrus of the ancient time of pharos. it cost 20 dollars for entrance and 40 for mumies room.
    A speciall thanks for the egyptians who stood and protected it from the mubaraks smugs......
    when you go there dont miss visiting the tahrir square which was the land of war with mubarak and from where the egyptians gained their freedom from that dectator, savage mubarak.
    p.s dont miss watching the most famous and the ONLY statue that was found for the king kofu, the builder of the biggest pyramid, which is 8cm long only..... dont know what to say where did that king hide his staff......... or is it really stolen , can his biggest pyramids in the world carry it!!!!!!!!!!!

• goutammitra's Profile Photo

Cairo Museum: One of the greatest in the world!

by goutammitra Updated Apr 4, 2011

This museum is a treasure house of Egypt, unfortunately photography is not allowed. The treasure contains 4000-5000 yeas old Royal Jewellery , used by the Pharaos of Egypt. The designs will put any master jeweller craftsman in to shame. One wonders, how much advanced they were in those days!!

Entrance fee to the museum: L.E.60 or USD$10 , entrance to Royal Mummies hall L.E.100 or USD $20. But this museum can never be completed in one dy, leave aside in two and half hours( we were allowed only that much time). To see this museum only, I need to come back to Egypt again.

The Egyptian Museum of Antiquities contains many important pieces of ancient Egyptian history. It houses the world’s largest collection of Pharaonic antiquities, and many treasures of King Tutankhamen. The Egyptian government established the museum, built in 1835 near the Ezbekeyah Garden. The museum soon moved to Boulaq in 1858 because the original building was getting to be too small to hold all of the artifacts. In 1855, shortly after the artifacts were moved, Duke Maximilian of Austria was given all of the artifacts. He hired a French architect to design and construct a new museum for the antiquities. The new building was to be constructed on the bank of the Nile River in Boulaq. In 1878, after the museum was completed for some time, it suffered some irreversible damage; a flood of the Nile River caused the antiquities to be relocated to another museum, in Giza. The artifacts remained there until 1902 when they were moved, for the last time to the current museum in Tahrir Square.

• Eco-Tourism

• clueless83's Profile Photo

Egyptian Museum

by clueless83 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Our tour of Cairo ended at the Egyptian Museum which in my opinion was interesting but quite samey.

I enjoyed looking at King Tutankhamun's gold mask and there's some really beautiful jewellery in the museum too. The mummies that were included in the admission price were also quite interesting and freaky to look at. The rest of the artifacts to me were quite 'seen one, seen them all'.

After a 4am start and traipsing around Cairo all day we tired quickly, which obviously affected our interest.

The toilets in the museum aren't too nice (take some tissues in your bag because there wasn't any when I went!).

Instant Answers: Cairo