Camels, Cairo

Know about this?

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Don't Pose in Front of Camels for a Picture

by machomikemd Written Oct 24, 2013

don't ever pose in front of camels around the giza necropolis area as eventhough you are not riding them and you are just in front of them and taking pictures, the camel herders wil pester you, rather aggressively to pay them for the picture! they will ask 40 LE (about 5 US Dollars) as payment, even though they are not the ones who took the shot and even if the camels are sitting far from them. If you are with a large group and a burly tour guides, then they would back off but if you are just a pair travelling, then they would pester you.

Unique Suggestions: take pictures of the camels far away using your zoom camera and a little bit of photo magic to make it appear that you are near the camel, this way you would not get any annoying people asking for money.

• Photography

• This is not a horse

by brightwit Updated Jan 22, 2011

If your going to get a camel then there is one thing you have to remember.

Camels are not horses.

Do not try to sit astride it like it is one.

Watch the way your guide rides. Scoot all the way up to the saddle horn so it is flush against your abdomen and place your legs towards/on the downward slope leading to the neck of the camel. Hook your right leg upward a bit and get comfortable.

This may seem unstable when you first take yourself out of sitting astride, but there is a reason the locals ride this way. Give yourself two minutes sitting astride a camel in horseback fashion and you'll end up limping the rest of your trip.

When in doubt in Cairo use your eyes and your brain.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo

Camel Ride at Pyramids

by goutammitra Updated Oct 24, 2010

The series of Camels

Please be careful while negotiating with the Camel man, ask very clearly about the rates in Egyptian Pounds. Our guide told us it was 100 Egyptian Pounds ( 100 L.E. or about USD$20) per person and we paid for 3 of us. But the ride was only for about half an hour, I think it was a bit expensive for half an hour. The guide also told us that you may be cheated by them if we do not go through her as she spoke in Arabic to them. There are many instances that they ask for UK Pounds of US Dollar 100!
    On way they will ask if you are intersted to get yourself photographed, who does n't? Then they will ask for 10 Egyptian Pounds for photographs taken, then he will ask for additional Bakhshis ( Tips)

Unique Suggestions: Please make sure before you start how much money he will take in Egyptian Pounds. Ofcourse, if you are filthy rich, or want to pay the poor man, you can always go ahead and pay as much as you want.

Fun Alternatives: Take the horse carriage, or another camel. But you will be mobbed here too! Be polite and take another willing person, I am sure there will be many!

• Eco-Tourism

• Court94403's Profile Photo

Camel Rides @ Giza- Don't Get Stranded!

by Court94403 Written Jul 5, 2009

Beware of camel owners/operators that try to extort money from visitors just wanting to take a short ride or pose for photos on a camel. Agree on a price and explain to the handler that you would like a short ride of 5-10 minutes and maybe a photo. The latest scam is they will agree on a price and take you quite a distance from where you started from in order ask you for more money to return you back to where you started from. It may not seem like that big a deal, but believe me, if you are out there in the hot desert sun, it will be.

Again, bargain and agree on a fair price, set a short time limit, that way you can get a nice photo of you on a camel and you can still leave with most of your money.

• Photography

• Horses and Camels - only go to decent stables

by bissauma Updated Jun 27, 2009

Be careful on your way to the pyramids of giza - DO NOT give in to or start talking to anyone who tries to stop your taxi on the road or let your driver take you to a 'friend's' stable - he'll be getting commission. these horses are in general not well-cared for and neither are their customers (bridles and saddles won't fit or be safe and the 'guide' (normally a ten year old boy) will simply crack a whip behind them to make them run; ignoring anything you might want

Unique Suggestions: Just completely ignore anyone who tries to get you to stop the car, ride their horses/camels. Be firm that you know where you're going. Don't get stressed, just think of it as a battle of wills!

• Adventure Travel
    • Archeology
    • Horse Riding

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Camel rides

by Gypsystravels Updated Oct 10, 2008

What trip is not complete without a camel ride. Sure it is a tourist trap.....so......just enjoy it. We did. Here is my wonderful Mom, can you believe it? I managed to get her on this camel (believe me, this is no small task, my sister tried getting her on a camel in Morocco but, hey, I am the special one, so I convinced her to get on this camel.

It was one of the highlights of our trip (along with the donkey ride which is another chapter under my Egypt trip). I am not sure what a camel ride would cost because we didn't pay for our evening ride which took us to the Pyramid Plateu and gave us the opportunity to see (for free) the Pyramid Lazer Light Show.

Can you believe that? There truly are very nice people in this wonderful world that we live in and I am happy that we had the opportunity to meet quite a few here in Cairo.

• VZ-Pam's Profile Photo

15 minute camel ride on Giza

by VZ-Pam Written Jan 26, 2008

We heard some one who took the 15 minute camel ride on Giza, the guy was forced to pay more money to come back after they had led him to far out which no one heard him screaming to let him go.......
    I also saw 2 women arguing with a camel guy who did not give change to the ladies after the ride. The guy simply denied the women about he promised to give them change back.

• VZ-Pam's Profile Photo

Camel rides trap at the Giza

by VZ-Pam Written Jan 26, 2008

I saw a guy haggled his price in taking a picture with the camel in front of a pyramid. Then some guy will walked next to you and volunteer to be on your picture by putting his hand on your shoulder without asking for your permission to be on the photo. Then this guy will chase after you non-stop for a big tip & so was the one who rent you the camel for picture.......

• william_44's Profile Photo

this isn't Disneyland

by william_44 Written Sep 25, 2007

I was in Cairo, visiting the pyramids. The idea of riding a camel never crossed my mind. What am I, an eight year old? It seemed vaguely odd that my own tour guide asked me about four times if I wanted to ride a Camel around the pyramids. I was trying to get a sense of 4000 years of history and those bugs turn it into some cheap, mawkish carnival ride. I simply refused every attempt. Only after reading the other comments did I realize what a scam I avoided.

Fun Alternatives: I told my guide I wanted to walk completely around the largest pyramid. Khufu? Cheops? Whatever. He was not pleased with this idea. He said it would take several hours. What, was he high? It took about 20 minutes!! And that's because I was having trouble with breathing. The entire country is full of annoying, money-grubbing bugs.

• Archeology

• vesna04's Profile Photo

Camel Ride

by vesna04 Written Sep 3, 2007

Allways negotiate the price before you get on the Camel. Don't give more than 10LE (usualy 1-2 LE will be enough) . One guy had to pay 25 euros in order to get off it.

Camel ride is most expencive near the Pyramids.

I dont like repiting the tips but I have to put this one on every of my Egypt pages

• Camel rides in Giza-beware of blackmailing guides

by Skylarker1 Written Jul 2, 2007

Camel rides around the Giza pyramids are great fun and taking one after 4 pm when the pyramids are closed allows you to take great panoramic photos of them without the crowds around. However be wary as the guide we went with stopped the group a fair ways out from the stables (we're talking the desert after hours) and demanded generous tips from everyone in the group before continuing on-i.e implying that if we didn't cough up he would leave us out there. Also when we got back the stable manager was quick to point out that we went over the 1hr and should pay more than the agreed price (although the pace and timing of the tour was dictated by his guide on horse back who'd earlier blackmailed us). These camel ride operators are notorious for this kind of caper and something should be done about this but it would seem that the tourist police get their backhanders from these operators so this will probably continue to happen.

Unique Suggestions: Do not get on the camels before agreeing on a price and the length of time you want to go out for. Often the stable master will say just get on the camels and to take a photo and then talk price later-once you're up on the camels the timer has started and he will charge based on time spent on them. Often people ask for an hours ride but the guide will take the group right around all the sites and bring you back hours later and then insist that you've done the full tour and have to pay the full price. Stick to your guns and tell the stable master up front how much you're prepared to pay for what length of time you want to ride for. If you come back later than the agreed time-this is the fault of the guide who does this intentionally to stretch out the bill and not yours so pay what you specifically asked for in the first place. We did this and when the stable master grumbled and asked for more I reminded him that I'd asked for an hour and his guide stuffed us around.

• Kaysta's Profile Photo

Take a picture of the camel? 'La Shukran'

by Kaysta Written May 8, 2007

Whilst your visiting the Pyramids of Giza, there will be many men around asking if you want to take a picture with the camel, don't! They will expect you to pay. They are very persistant but walk away and say 'La Shukran' which means 'No thank you'.

Fun Alternatives: Take a sneeky picture standing back aiming at the Pyramids and include the camel in the picture - Hehe.

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

How can you not do this

by jlanza29 Written Feb 20, 2007

Ok, you are in Cairo, and you must ride a camel, and they know it. Just be smart about it. If your with a tour guide ask him to negiotate for you. And no matter what you do don't take the first price they give you again they all speak ENGLISH, French, Italian, German, you'll be surprised. We took a 30 minute ride and the camel owner took great pictures of us, at the end we paid 100 LE for 2 of us, about $20 US dollars. Not as bad I thought it would be....but be warned the camel stink like you never smelled before, so make sure you don't have nice clothes on, if not you'll end up throwing them away !!!!!

• dutchwindmill's Profile Photo

Do the camel ride!

by dutchwindmill Updated Jan 28, 2007

Even if you've been riding camels before (for me: Sfax and Petra) do take a camel ride to and around the pyramids (or a horse if you're really afraid of heights or have difficulty spreading your legs wide for a long time - not trying to be funny here, but you may get cramps). It sure helps if you have a tour guide present, even if like in my case he left the bargaining with the camel owner to me. Didn't have to bargain too hard: camel owner asked LE 120 including access to the grounds, entry into one of the pyramids and camera permit. As I didn't have a camera with me I told him 100 and that was alright without further ado (so less should be possible, but wasn't necessary for me). My camel driver entered the pyramids enclosure from the 'panorama hill' on the South side and didn't buy a ticket to the grounds. In my estimation he paid off three tourist police, probably for LE 10 each. Left the camel owner with LE 70 for himself which I didnt mind as it was magnificent. The camel driver asked me for a tip at the end (it was not his camel) and I gave him another 20. A lot? Not if you consider it's less than 3 euros.

• Desert

• leigh767's Profile Photo

Giza stables

by leigh767 Written Jul 30, 2006

An ride around in the Giza pyramid vicinity on either horse OR camel should only cost LE 30-60. Anything more is a ripoff. Don't believe the stories they tell you about the pyramid being closed due to a special occasion and the president coming (blahblahblah); the pyramids are open for tourists all year round! So camel rides are always an alternative, not the ONLY WAY to see the pyramids.

Was majorly ripped off at LE 180 for a one hour ride. Please, don't break my record.

Unique Suggestions: If they start demanding more and tell you it's an honest price, smile and say, "lac, shukran" ("No, thank you") and head out. Either they will let you go without anymore hassle, or they will suddenly agree to your lower price and start hauling you on to the camel/horse before you can say "Lawrence of Arabia".

Best times for photography while riding: just before sunset so the shadows fall beautifully all around the structures. On that note, don't bring a camera you can't use with just one hand-- you'll need a steady grip on these rocky rides.

Instant Answers: Cairo