Papyrus, Cairo

by devroy06
  • Papyrus
    by rocky_balboua
  • typical papyrus subject
    typical papyrus subject "weighing of...
    by stamporama
  • Papyrus fraud in cairo

by devroy06 Written Oct 15, 2012
    A guy from cairo tried to fool me

I was on a visit to cairo (egypt) in the month of october 2012. I was residing in the hotel semiramish. One fine morning I walked few steps away from my hotel and a young guy aged around 18-20 yrs came to me and started greeting me. Welcome to Cairo my brother etc. He was able to speak english and told me that he is a history art student. I asked him for a barber nearby and he said ofcourse i will take you to a barber. But indeed he took me to a art gallery where he told me that his elder brother and sister working. He introduced me to his sister and told me that she is getting married tomorrow so u wish him best of luck for the married life. Then his elder brother stated asking about my stay, job and family details. he offered me milk. tea and gifted a painting free with my son's name written over it in arabic. he told me select any two best paintings, I selected and he wrote the name of my daughter and wife over it. Then he told me to buy these paintings and the total price 600$. I got astonished and I told him I can't buy it, but as the names written he started telling me that it will get spoiled so I have to buy it. After a long bargain and lot of arguments the deal resulted in payment of 60$ + donation of 10$ to his sister's marriage. I don't know whether the marriage story was true or another tourist trap.

Unique Suggestions: So instead of getting a haircut I got my pocket cut. These guys are always in look out for foreign tourist. Within no time they will establish a relation with you and give u shock of 440 watt.

Fun Alternatives: Whenever a guy tells you that he is a student of history of art and he tries to get familiar with you, just say thanks and move away. Never select a painting and insist for price before selecting it, if atall you have to select it. bargain a lot becauz the prices are 10-20 times higher. Do not trust a individual if he tells you the story of sister marriage or anything of such nature.

• Museum Visits
    • Singles

• Greatje's Profile Photo

Creative hasslers

by Greatje Written Jun 29, 2010

We were in Cairo and walking down the street, when some guy who was sitting on a terras and drinking his tea, asked us in poor english, if we could help him by writing a postcard to his friends in the UK as he did not know how to write in english. Of course we said, what do you want us to write? "Just congratulate them with their first born and that I'm doing fine etc. etc" When we finished, he was so happy and insisted to give us a small present. We had to follow him because his brother just lived a few doors ahead....in a papyrus shop. The store was filled with the most beautiful paintings at papyrus, all "hand painted" by his brother, according the guy.
    Anyway, he told his brother to make a small page marker with our names in hieroglyphs. When the brother started to paint, it was obvious that he never could have make the paintings that were in the store. He made the hieroglyphs on the markers as if he was a small child. While waiting, we were wandering around the store and saw some other tourist helping out with writing postcards to so called friends in Europe. Haha, we had just fell in a tourist trap. But is was an ingenious one and we didn't see it coming when we helped the guy out.
    We could appreciate it though and let them know that we see through their deceit but anyway...we bought something in the store and we had a good laugh about it, together with the guy and his brother...

Unique Suggestions: Stay polite and friendly. In Egypt we did not find the hasslers anoying when we smiled and said "no thanks...mumkin bokra" (meaning, maybe tomorrow)

Fun Alternatives: If you do not want it, just say no and walk further. They will not bother you when they see that you are not interrested. You can have a lot of fun when you just treat them with some respect and make some jokes with them. Tell them you have to provide for your 15 children and that you have no money left for buying anything. It sure helps. Don't forget...they trying to make a living

• clueless83's Profile Photo

Beware of fakes

by clueless83 Written Jun 13, 2010

If you wish to buy some papyrus as a souvenir then beware of fakes.

Real papyrus is quite strong and has vertical and horizontal lines running through it (like a criss cross pattern when you hold it up to the light).

Fake papyrus is made from brittle banana leaf and won't have the criss cross pattern.

Fun Alternatives: If you wish to buy some genuine papyrus art, go to a genuine shop. We visited Aegyptus Papyrus (see my shopping tip for info). There's something to suit all budgets there with art starting at just 50 L.E. (£5 UK sterling).

• Architecture

• stamporama's Profile Photo

FAKE papyrus and essences

by stamporama Written Nov 10, 2007

typical papyrus subject

Tour guides are all the same around the world, after bringing you to the sights, they'd always bring you to a favored store for you to buy something. Well, in Cairo that 'something' would mean essences and papyrus scrolls.

As with any product, there are also knock-offs when it comes to essences and papyrus. Essences may actually be made from cooking oil and after some days would look stagnant or rancid. True papyrus scrolls are made from actual papyrus plants while the fakes are made from bananas (not sure if they use the trunks or the leaves) which also do not last long and easily tear. As one might expect, fakes are typically sold cheap and by street hawkers and at the Khan al-Kalili stalls. So to get the real thing, either just go along with your guide to his preferred store or just walk along the streets near the pyramids and you're sure to see many essence stores or papyrus 'museums'.

Unique Suggestions: Now the real stuff are of course pricier, so if you wish to buy, then just get something for yourself, your loved ones or family. You may opt to buy the fakes to give to acquaintances, business associates, colleagues at work, your boss, etc. At least you have a reason to haggle when you buy a lot.

If you have no interest to buy at all, then just walk away...

• Women's Travel

• A Visit In A Papyrus Shop

by pangtidor Updated Mar 21, 2007

The Demonstration Table on How To Make Papyrus

If you come with your guide, you will get into the right papyrus shop/institute. When you come alone, check the address below and keep in mind that the Giza shops could be safe for you as they are under inspections and certifications. They wil be more expensive though. The good papyrus shop will give you a quick demonstration show on how to make the papyrus. After it, they will show you the models of papyrus they have. The papyrus with the original painting of Egyptian painters will be extremely expensive, could reach a thousand dollar for the big size!!You may get 10-20US$ for the small ordinary painted papyrus. Take a look around the shop and if you are interested and planning to bring papyrus as the souvenirs from Egypt, this is the good place to buy. Just write the model`s numbers which you are interested on and give to the salesman.Just Be careful : THEY MAY PUSH YOU (YOU MAY NOT EVEN NOTICE IT) INTO BUYING MORE PAPYRUS THAN YOU HAVE PLANNED BEFORE. Do BARGAIN!! Apparently, they won`t let you go without get something in their store, so you may enjoy your bargainings.:-))MAKE SURE THEY WILL GIVE YOU GOOD ROUND BOXES FOR EACH OF YOUR PAPYRUS. It would protect your papyrus on its way home with you. The most popular paintings on the papyrus will be THE JUDGEMENT DAY, LUNAR CALENDER (EGYTIAN`S), THE BUG `GOD OF LUCK`, NEFERTITI, KING TUT, or depend on your fondest memory you have in Egypt.
    These pictures taken in GOLDEN EAGLE PAPYRUS, SAKKARA ROAD-Before Ring Road Pyramids-Giza-Egypt.Telp 7719585

• Archeology

• Prole's Profile Photo

Papyrus Museuems are NOT museums!

by Prole Updated Mar 12, 2007

If your taxi driver, or anyone else for that matter, recommends a visit to a papyrus museum, DON'T GO!! They aren't really museums, just stores selling papayrus, but they all have the word museum attached to the end of their name. And once you're in, will try every trick in the book to get you to buy something, usually as astronomically inflated prices. After all, they need to kep a commision forthe taxi driver, or whoever takes you there.

Unique Suggestions: Walk in alone, without a local guide or taxi driver. This allows them to cut out the middleman's commision, which they would charge you for, anyways. And as with any other souvenir in Egypt, offer 1/10th to 1/8th of the original asking price. If they don't agree, walk out. The shop attendant will follow you out, and keep lowering the price as much as he can. That's th price you should pay.
    It does pay to shop around, however, and you'll find lots of papyrus 'museums' all over the place.

• Museum Visits

• rocky_balboua's Profile Photo

1 days peramids trip

by rocky_balboua Written Mar 3, 2007

first of all we will take u from the hotel by bus then the trip will start to the perimeds , then we will start our trip by camal of house .. there is 3 kind of this trip :
    1) the short one : we will ride the hourses about 1 hour at the desert and we will take a photo with the peramids .
    2) the meduim one : we will ride the hourses about 2 hours at the desert
    3) the long one : we will ride hourses for 3 hours to sakara permed and then we will return back by bus to the shop .......
    * then we will return to the shop if any one wants to buy paperus or perphum
    * then we will camp beside the peramids " a good view of the permids "
    * the trip including laungh and soft drink and at the camping including the dinner and drinks

Unique Suggestions: first : of all u have to email me"f_toti2002@hotmail.com" befor the day u want to do it by 1 week at least or call me at +20121778422
    second : at least 6 persons , if u wanna to camping

Fun Alternatives: the trip will be so fun and everyone will enjoy it very much .......... and if u will not enjoy u have to take ur mony

• Desert
    • Horse Riding

• rocky_balboua's Profile Photo

1 days peramids trip

by rocky_balboua Written Mar 3, 2007
    this is the last tourist trip

2) the meduim one : we will ride the hourses about 2 hours at the desert
    * then we will return to the shop if any one wants to buy paperus or perphum
    * then we will camp beside the peramids " a good view of the permids "

second : at least 6 persons , if u wanna to camping

• Horse Riding
    • Desert

• DanielF's Profile Photo

papyrus

by DanielF Updated Aug 9, 2006

While you visit the Giza area, watch for the many papyrus museums. They are actually shops. And when you get an invitation to visit one of these "museums" (you will get many), keep in mind that papyrus plants do not exist any more in Egypt.

• bzh's Profile Photo

Friendly art students who want to sell you things

by bzh Updated Jan 17, 2003

When you are obviously a foreigner, you might be greated in the street by very friendly local people who, after asking you what you do, where you come from, will tell you that they are art students and will invite you to come and have a look at their art gallery. What they really want is to sell you some sort of souvenir, usually some Egyptain designs on papyrus. Of course, they will tell you that you don't have to buy but it's very good quality and you should really consider it, etc.

Unique Suggestions: If you really don't want to buy anything, just be polite and decline the invitation to go to the gallery in the first place.

If you might be interested (at the end of the day, papyrus is something to bring back from Egypt), go along, have a look, and be honest about what you want and don't want. Don't let the person make you buy 4 things when you really want only one.

Tell them to demonstrate to you that it is real papyrus: you shouldn't be able to rub off the ink by moistening the papyrus and oyu should be able to roll it tight and unroll it without leaving marks.

finally, make sure the price you pay is not higher than what you would pay for the same thing at the Papyrus Museum.

At the end of the day, you will have had a nice chat and a nice cup of tea and you will have done some of your tourist shopping.

Fun Alternatives: You can buy your souvenirs from "official" shops such as the one in the Papyrus Museum.

Instant Answers: Cairo