Taxis, Cairo

Know about this? Rate It!

• Taxis
    by IMira555
  • Taxis
    by wavy41
  • muhammed and my son at the backways of azhar musqe
    muhammed and my son at the backways of...
    by wavy41
  • Taxi and travel guide in Cairo

by lilianneschotlz Written May 8, 2015

We spent a day in Cairo and on recommendation from this website we used Muhammed as a taxi service and guide. He met us at the airport and transferred us to the guest house. The following day he picked us up and showed us around all the main attractions in Egypt. The last stop before the airport was a delicious meal of koushary at the world-famous Abo Tarek restaurant. What a treat! I can highly recommend Muhammed and I will definitely use his taxi service if I ever visit Cairo again. He speaks fluent English and his service is reasonably priced and on time. His knowledge of Egypt is superb and as an added bonus he wards off all the hagglers. He is easy to contact on Whatsapp: +20 100 264 4522.

• Business Travel

• IMira555's Profile Photo

Taxi Recommendation in Cairo

by IMira555 Updated Mar 24, 2015

I would like to recommend an excellent driver for private tours in Cairo. I found reviews for Muhammed and decided to contact him on +201002644522 via Whatsapp. Muhammed responded to my message very quickly and quoted a very reasonable price for his services the entire day on March 20th and Airport transfers on March 19th and 21st, 2015. Muhammed also provided some recommendations about what to see and he speaks excellent English as well! I was able to see the pyramids, Memphis. Museum and old Cairo in one day!

Les recomiendo a un excelente conductor para viajes privados en Cairo y sus alrededores. Encontre la recomendacion de Muhammed en VT y decidí contactarlo en su telefono +201002644522 vía Whatsapp. Muhammed respondió a mi mensaje muy rápidamente y cotizo un precio muy razonable por sus servicios todo el día el 20 de marzo y servicio de traslado desde y al aeropuerto el 19 de marzo y 21 del 2015. Muhammed también proporcionó algunas recomendaciones sobre qué ver y habla Inglés excelente también! No habla español. Tuve la oportunidad de ver las pirámides, de Memphis. Museo y Cairo antiguo en un día! Yo viaje sola y siempre me senti segura con Mohammed.

• Desert
    • Adventure Travel
    • Singles

• IMira555's Profile Photo

TAXI RECOMMENDATION IN LUXOR

by IMira555 Written Mar 24, 2015

I went to Luxor alone on March 18th, 2015, I found the city very safe. Outside of my hotel I met a taxi driver, Mohamed Abuotaleb. I was surprised with his excellent English. I negotiated with him and he gave me a very good price to take me from East Bank to the Valley of the Kings in West Bank, Karnak Temple, Luxor Temple, Luxor Museum, Restaurant for lunch, back to my hotel to pickup luggage and to the airport. He was very kind, professional and knowledgeable.

If you plan to go to Luxor you can contact Mohamed via WhatsUp: His phone number is: +201110684495 or email him at: aboutaleb_mohamed@yahoo.com

• Desert
    • Women's Travel

• Recommend Taxi Driver Cairo

by TimmyJohn Written Mar 15, 2015

On our recent trip to Egypt we decided to do a day in Cairo. After originally planning to see Cairo independently due to recent advice we were slightly concerned about hiring a taxi for the day from the airport and so we went on the internet to see if we could find a trusted taxi driver for a reasonable price.
    On looking on Virtual Tourist we found several good reviews for Muhammed and decided to contact him on +201002644522 via Whatsapp. Muhammed quickly responded and quoted a very reasonable price for him to be our taxi for the whole day. Muhammed also provided some recommendations about what to see and he really seemed to know his stuff.
    The next day when we arrived in Cairo he picked us up from the Airport and he taxied us around for 12hours. Almost as soon as he picked us up it was quite clear he was more than just a taxi driver. He had a lot of local knowledge about the sights and he had great passion about them. By going with Muhammed we didn't just have a taxi driver, we had a private tour guide. Muhammed was able to advice us of all the scams that Egyptians may try and he did not try and take us anywhere we did not want to go. He also had good tips to save money and he was able to haggle with locals to get us a really cheap Nile river cruise.
    I have done Cairo before by just hiring a taxi from the street and yes this may be very slightly cheaper (if you get a trustworthy one) and if you don't mind wasting your time going to places you don't want to I.e a papyrus Museums however with Muhammed you get so much more for your money, you get a friendly enthusiastic guide with great knowledge of not only the sights but also of how to get the best out of Cairo and he speaks perfect English.
    We would highly recommend Muhammed whether you are a first time visitor or a regular traveller to Cairo and when we return to Cairo I know we will definitely be using Muhammed again.

• Recommended Taxi for Cairo

by nagasari Written Jan 25, 2015

Before we went to Cairo I have searched in tripadvisor for arecommended taxi driver in Cairo but unfortunately I could not findanyone.

On Virtual Tourist, I have found that Mohammed was always a highly recommended taxi driver in cairo.

A few weeks ago, during our family (4 adults) vacation between Christmas and new year 2015 we used the service of Mohammed.... We found his service fantastic, he spoke perfect english (graduated from UK), and he charged a very reasonable price, tried to give the best service as taxi driver and as a tour guide.
    He brought us almost everywhere... Coptic area, Giza Pyramid, Sphinx, Citadel, Cairo museum, Khan El Kalili, also to Alexandria to visit St Mark’s Cathedral, Citadel of Qaitbay, Library ofAlexandria. Nile cruise with a private boot was very impressive and very cheap because the owner of the boat was his friend. The last day in cairo we visited Wadi El Rayan where you can find amazing waterfalls (some of the very few in Egypt) middle the desert that occur due to the northern lake being higher than the southern one.
    I would strongly recommend him to be your driver and your guide in Cairo if you need one! You can call or whatsapp him on + 201002644522

• jalapeno2's Profile Photo

Highly recommended Taxi Driver

by jalapeno2 Written Jul 1, 2014

A holiday to cairo won't be complete without Muhammed... I was recommended to him by one of his previous customer in virtual tourist... thanks to the person who wrote a review on Muhammed. Muhammed has made my day during my 3 weeks stay in Egypt. He companied me almost everywhere... alexandria, ain el sokhna, sultan hasan mosque, citadel, cairo tower, giza pyramids, coptic cairo, mokkatam,khan el kalili, etc. He has been a good company, a good friend... he is also a very good shopping companion... if you use his service you should bring him for shopping at khan el kalili. I can tell you he is very very good at bargaining... he is also a very good cook... on that day we went to ain el sokhna, he cooked grill chicken with rice... it is really delicious... i even crave for it now :p If you are cute enough like me, I am sure he will cook for you too... haha... he speaks a prefect english and he charged a very reasonable price... i can guarantee you that he gives the best service as taxi driver, as a friend, and as a tour guide :) Contact Muhammed at +20 100 26 44522 and he will make your trip in egypt unforgettable.... :)

Me and Muhammed

• jalapeno2's Profile Photo

Highly recommended Taxi Driver

by jalapeno2 Updated Jul 1, 2014

Me and Muhammed

• AMAZING TAXI DRIVER

by wavy41 Updated May 22, 2014

In Cairo u get to see many highly educated young men working as taxi driver's , usually white taxi's!
    this driver was recommended to me by my Egyptian friend for his English ,
    he drove me around Cairo for the 20 days i was there for and took me alex twice .. we had interesting chats while finding our way through Cairo's legendary traffic he knows his roads well didn't really feel the distance most of the time thanks to his perfect English ..very reliable and trustworthy .
    he charged me 35 LE an hour for inside Cairo , he also runs by meter when he didn't have to do too much waiting (apparently the meter don't or runs real slow on the standby )
    i would strongly recommend him to be you'r driver and you'r guide in Cairo if you needed one!
    you can contact him on 002 01002644522

muhammed and my son at the backways of azhar musqe

• RavensWing's Profile Photo

A Friendly Driver in My Chaotic Day

by RavensWing Written Oct 8, 2013

Like with every other mode of transportation in Cairo - there really seem to be no rules. The lines on the road are decorations as are the lights, if they are working. The same is with my taxi ride. This may be the normal way it happens, or maybe it was a special case. I had missed my flight back to Canada after a series of unplanned events that made me late for checking in. My friend and I had to find a place to stay, I had rescheduled my flight for the next day. We flagged a cab and hopped in. Ehab the driver was very friendly and although my friend Ahmed spoke Arabic they both spoke in English out of respect for me. We told him we needed to get to the Capsis Hotel at 117 Ramsis Bridge, Cairo Governorate. Great all during rush day (I swear their rush hour is a lie, it's always a traffic rush there) As the two men chatted and made friends, Ahmed telling Ehab how my day had went, well he seemed sympathetic to my chaotic day. He drove us to the hotel and offered to pick me up in the morning to return me to the airport. Ahmed and Ehab made the arrangements, and Ahmed pre-paid the trip. Ehab would return to the hotel at 0630 to take me to the airport. I was concerned that he wouldn't be there, but I came down a few minutes late from my room and there sitting in a chair reading the paper what Ehab, ready to take me to the airport. We had a pleasant talk on the way back to the airport. He waited to see if I was able to get on this flight before leaving. There was a problem with my ticket. I told him I would go to the old terminal 2 where there was a wifi connection and figure it out. He had to go collect another fare but he would come back to find me and see if I had managed to get on my flight. I said if I'm not here, that means I've sorted everything out, but if I'm here then I was still working on it. I managed to sort out my flight problems and ran back to the other terminal, through security and grab my boarding pass.

I know Ehab came back to check to see if I was there but I was gone. He had called Ahmed to confirm this. I wish I had a way to send Ehab a tip. He was the rock when I needed emotional support to make my way home. I would recommend Ehab my taxi driver to anyone!

Kind and Courteous!
    • Singles

• xaver's Profile Photo

a nice surprise

by xaver Written Jan 5, 2013

I learnt to avoid taxis that wait for you out of hotels restaurants or tourist sites, they never use the meter and charge you also 3 or 4 times the normal rate.
    Ask someone to write for you the place where you want to go in Arabic and then stop the taxi on the street, I was surprised to see as most of them turned on the meter without any pressure from me as it was just normal, this is really a werid habit for taxi drivers anywhere in the world.
    From the airport to the hotel I got to pay 90 egyptian pounds and a local friend said it was a good price.

taxi

• hawkeye64's Profile Photo

Taxis in Cairo

by hawkeye64 Written Feb 22, 2012

As has been pointed out already there are the black and whites, and the plain white taxis. The whites being the better of the two with meters and air conditioning.

A lot of people advise taking the white taxis because of condtion and they have meters, but there is a down side to this as well. If you are a stranger to Cairo, there is no way for you to know that the driver is taking the shortest route, they can add miles to the drive and you'll never know the difference but it will cost you more. Also you may get caught in traffic, actually this is more likely than not, and the meter continues to run even when you're not moving.

If it's a short trip, negotiate a price with a black and white taxi driver, you know how much you're going to spend before you get in. And he'll take the fastest route to get you there to save expenses for himself. You don't need to tip, but please do, these guys aren'r getting rich driving a cab. If you negotiated 15 pounds, give him twenty, remember an Egyptian pound is only about 20 cents.

• Seniors

• Mozumbus's Profile Photo

Hailing a Taxi? Know Your Numbers

by Mozumbus Updated Jan 5, 2012

By now, you must have learned that White Cabs are the best bet to avoid the 'perfume shop' scam, a characteristic tourist trap, in Cairo!

This is mostly true. White Cabs are usually run on 'meter' so one has a chance to strike a fair deal without being ripped off.

However, don't take that for granted. There are indeed some exceptions:

Short Distances: For short distances, e.g. from the downtown to the Khan El-Khalili bazaar, we found white cabs reluctant to lift us. So we had to negotiate. EGP 5 proved to be good enough and smart enough for a couple of kilometers, or slightly more.

There are many one-way roads in the downtown, so standing in the wrong direction would increase the kilometers and thus reduce your chances of getting a better deal. I used googlemaps.com so that we can follow the correct flow of the traffic even if we had to walk a bit.

Go Color Blind: Going back to the downtown was almost always a problem for us. On our first day, none of the white cabs were ready to go on 'meter' from Mosque Ibne Tulun (Islamic Cairo) to the cramped up labyrinth of the busy city center, where we had been staying.

In the morning, we had been happily transported in the reverse direction with a metered bill of EGP 10. So after sensing the odds, I finally managed to negotiate with a yellow one to take us back for EGP 15. The trick here was not to stick with the first taxi you hail but to check at-least 3 to 4.

The 'Metered' Scam: It is not a scam actually but a situation that arises inevitably due to the traffic mess in the rush hours. While heading to the Mukattam Hills from the downtown we got stuck up in the notorious traffic. The taxi did not move for about half an hour but the meter did, and did that continuously!

Finally we had to abort the journey! The driver charged EGP 20 against the metered EGP 16. No bad feelings as we ditched him right in the middle of the road!

So these were some of the exceptions we observed. Now the most important tip to make it less intimidating:

Know Your Numbers: On top of everything, knowing numbers and places in Arabic not only helped us to communicate effectively but also reduced the deep-pocketed tourist impression. In addition to our luck, this was most probably the reason why we did not encounter even a single 'perfume shop' driver during our entire one week stay!

Keeping in view the brouhaha on the internet travel forums about Cairo taxi scams, that was quite an achievement.

Fact Sheet: Below is what we paid during our stay:

EGP 10 Downtown (Emad El Din) to the Cairo Citadel, metered, morning
    EGP 15 Back to downtown from Mosque Ibne Tulun (Islamic Cairo), without meter, afternoon

EGP 5 Downtown to Turgoman (Bus Station for Ismailia/Suez), metered, early morning
    EGP 10 Ismailia Bus Station to Suez Crossing, without meter, morning
    EGP 10 Back to the Ismailia Bus Station (شرق دولہ), without meter, afternoon

EGP 7 Novatel Hotel to Emad El Din, metered, past midnight

EGP 5 Downtown to Al-Azhar, without meter, around sunset

EGP 5 Tahrir (Nile Corniche) to Four Seasons (Nile Corniche), without meter, late afternoon
    EGP 20 Four Seasons to Mukattam (journey aborted midway), metered, past sunset

EGP 5 Downtown to Al-Hussain, without meter, afternoon

EGP 35 Downtown to the airport, metered, early morning

1 USD = 6 EGP
    1 EGP = 15 PKR

Just to mention, almost all the time we had been carrying the baby stroller and no taxi driver objected on loading that.

White Cab on a Cairo Street

• MarioPortugal's Profile Photo

Tarik - my preferred Taxi driver in Cairo

by MarioPortugal Updated Oct 20, 2011

In September-2011 went to Cairo and needed move around for a few visits.

Tarik, taxi driver in Cairo, was recommended to me and, after contacting him, we made a deal of having him driving me around town for the price of 35 Egyptian Pounds per hour for the whole day.

Despite the fact that moving around in the Cairo roads is a "little" stressing for nobody in town knows how to drive slowly , this gentleman provided a good service and I was quite happy with his assistance on finding the locations I was location for in Cairo.

In summary, I'm happy to recommend Tarik for Taxi services in Cairo :)

- Mario, October 2011 -

TARIK, Taxi driver, cell phone +20114511284

• June.b's Profile Photo

Taxi

by June.b Updated Jun 22, 2011

Taxis in Cairo comes in different colors in fact not only in Cairo but also in Luxor and Aswan -- AC and non-AC, there's the ancient black ones, the black&whites, and the yellow ones with aircon. I have tried all of them. Either you agree on a price or ask to flag down the meter.

There are 3 types of taxi drivers -- one, someone who cons on tourists, two, who cons on people but won't cuz he feels you're well informed (act like one), three, honest ones.

On my first day I took the Metro (EGP1) to Giza station, then a taxi from Giza metro station to the Pyramids entrance metered at a price of EGP20 incl. tip (they usually ask for that or you might feel generous not getting the small change). Coming back from the pyramids to Giza station at metered too a little less at 17.

From Tahrir Square (downtown) to the Citadel, I paid EGP20 on a meter. Coming back from the pyramid to Khan ElKhalili at EGP15. Then, from Khan El Khalili to Tahrir Square at EGP10, there was a time that it cost only 7 and once 5 (short distance).

But going to the airport I made the stupid decision to take the metro and got off at a very unpleasant area called New Marg and found it hard to find a taxi from there to the airport that I almost missed my flight. The ancient black taxi I took somehow I felt like he took so many roads to make the meter collect more fares, so I ended up paying 30 inclusive of tip.

Most taxi drivers do not speak English so be prepared. Don’t sit infront if you’re not prepared to have a conversation. I normally sit in front as I got used my place and other countries, but I’m armed with basic Arabic. Also, if you sit infront, buckle-up, they drive really like crazy - I got several, what do you call those stinging feeling on your crotch everytime the car swerve fast on a hairline distance to another car? But don't start an argument, that driving is a norm. Sit there, relax...and pray?

Always...always...agree on a price before getting into a taxi or ask the driver for the meter. A short distance would only cost you EGP5 (normal local fare), but it depends on you – the more they feel that you’re uninitiated, the more they feel that they could con on you.

Tahrir Square from my room balcony

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Taxi's and hotel taxi's

by jlanza29 Updated Mar 27, 2011

Taxi's are out of control in Cairo, they are everywhere, and believe me they come alive when they see a foreigner coming. Suddenly they all speak English, French, German, whatever language you think. Just like in Far East ask your hotel to write the name of your hotel in Arabic, but no sooner that you approach a taxi 10 of them come out of nowhere. They don't mean any danger, they just want to make some money. Have an idea of the fare you are expected to pay and don't be afraid to haggle for the price. We jumped in taxi's at all times and not once we felt taken advantage of or any danger. At your hotel they try to send you in a hotel taxi that will charge you almost double of what your gonna pay with a regular taxi. The only time we did this was on a Saturday night when we were nicely dressed and need a taxi with a working AC otherwise a regular taxi is OK....if going to the airport (see my other transportation tip)

nothing like you seen before !!!
    • Business Travel

Instant Answers: Cairo

• Oct 16, 2014 at 2:26 AM

I have read many reviews about Muhammed!!! He sounds very famous virtually!! Happy vacations!