Jazirat az Zamalik Shopping

inside
    interior
    by uglyscot
    silver and lapis lazuli pendant

Most Recent Shopping in Jazirat az Zamalik

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

any in Zamalik: gifts and souvenirs

by uglyscot Updated Oct 21, 2009

There are many small shops in Zamalak selling a variety of objects from antiques to jewellery, clothes and toys as well as groceries, butchers and electronics.
    I was looking for a piece of lapis lazuli to ward off evil.On 26 July St were a number of shops selling silver and jewellery. I found one that had pendants made of lapis lazuli, but they were too large. I asked if he had anything smaller and he said no. Seeing I was going to leave, he then showed me some medium sized ones, but again I refused, until he produced even smaller pieces. I selected an oval stone set in silver, and when he weighed it said it would cost £Egy. 75, but we managed to knock it down to 70,. He then polished it for me, and I went away happy.

What to buy: There is a lot of silver on sale. It is sold by the weight of the silver, so bargaining will not be very productive.

What to pay: As much or as little as you want

silver and lapis lazuli pendant brassware

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

Diwan: Looking for books

by uglyscot Updated Nov 24, 2008

I am a bookworm, First Class. Since coming to Cairo I have had problems finding reading material. I did join the British Council library but it closed for refurbishment for the better part of a year, and I never went back.
    Once I was taken to the American University in Cairo which has a great stock of books. I managed to get a few, but security is very strict, and I don't have AUC ID card. I once found a little second hand corner in a shop in Zamalek, and then found Diwan.
    Diwan bookshop is special in that it has modern English novels, French books, Arabic books,coffee table books, books for children; tapes , CDs and videos, magazines and stationery.There is also a book ordering service.
    There is a coffee shop inside too.
    It is open from 9am to 11.30 pm daily

What to buy: In terms of books, there are numerous books about Egypt and especially Ancient Egypt and Archaeology. Many people go for books by the Nobel prizewinner Naguib Mahfouz, but personally I don't like his style.
    Postcards, maps of Egypt, calendars especially if of the paintings of David Roberts are all good and can be bought as gifts.

What to pay: More or less the same as in UK. I bought for 59 EGPounds a novel that was marked as 6.99 sterling. There are some at 39EP and 69EP, and coffee table books are even more. Children's books seem expensive except Ladybirds at 18 EP.

Diwan bookshop inside interior

Sami Amin: Sami Amin Handmade

by DunaKal Updated Sep 20, 2006

Everything in this place is hand made and signed by Sami Amin...who`s very famous in Egypt for his leather items and jewelry...
    the best thing is it`s not expensive at all..
    I buy all my gifts for my family and friends from this shop.

What to buy: I bought home accessories,leather women accessories.
    You might also find some of Sami Amin`s items in other shops around Cairo.but this is his retail shop in Zamalek area.

What to pay: not much at all.

Sami Amin Window

Loft: Loft

by DunaKal Updated Sep 20, 2006

I was driving down Zamalek area when I looked up at an opened window and saw this beautiful chandelier,I paused at the place thinking it`s a resedental apartment,but then the door man asked me if I`m looking for Loft,

I didn`t know what he was talking about when I noticed the sign on the building...
    I go into the place...the sales manager is a Canadian living in Egypt...
    The place is filled with Antiques,furniture and chandeliers...
    I bought a nice armed chair with a foot rest.

What to buy: Furniture,chandeliers,antiques.
    The picture here shows the armd chair and the foot rest.

What to pay: Good prices.

Armed chair

Al Diwan: Al Diwan Book shop

by DunaKal Updated Jan 16, 2005

This is our escape from Cairo`s busy and noisey day life...it`s with in Cairo yet really quiet!
    It offers few seats to read through your choice of books(mostley non-Arabic).

What to buy: Book,DVDs,CDs Magazines,newpapaers, post cards.

Al Diwan book shop
    • Study Abroad

Caravan Saray: Caravan Saray

by DunaKal Updated Jun 11, 2004

The Zamalek is filled with antique treasures,but this shop sells unique Islamic accessories such as curtain holders,it also sells some furniture items,like chairs,drawers units and side tables.

What to buy: If I afford to buy the whole shop I would!!!!

What to pay: Not too exepnsive

Curtain handle

Tanis Fabrics & Interiors: Tanis

by DunaKal Updated May 23, 2004

This place sells curtain fabrics printed with the lovely Arabic fonts and letters...
    I bought material for my apartment (one meter costed me 50 Egyptian pounds).

What to buy: It sells beautiful chandeliers as well as fabrics.

Curtian Cloth

Instant Answers: Jazirat az Zamalik

Comments

Jazirat az Zamalik Shopping

Reviews and photos of Jazirat az Zamalik shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Jazirat az Zamalik sightseeing.

View all Jazirat az Zamalik hotels