Sports Events in Egypt

Snorkeling
    Diving courses
    by HeshamMA
    General view for the place

Most Viewed Sports & Outdoors in Egypt

• sjokatt's Profile Photo

Good and serious Diving Center in Sharm el Sheik

by sjokatt Updated Apr 4, 2011

Omned by a couple from Nederlands. We dived with them at some very goood spots around Sharm (including Thistlegorm). If there is still the same couple owning Easy Divers in Sharm - I can warm recommend this center.

• Water Sports

• CarlosLuz's Profile Photo

Scuba Diving

by CarlosLuz Updated Apr 4, 2011

If you're looking for some sports action in Egypt, the best one I can think of is scuba diving in Sharm El-Sheik or Hurgada...

These are the hot spots for these type of activities and judging by pictures I've seen and comments I've read, the Red Sea is one of the most beautiful spots in the world to dive...don't miss it if you like to dive ;o)

Picture copyright from http://www.btinternet.com

Snorkelling

by graeme83 Written Mar 28, 2009

You don't need to learn to dive in order to enjoy the underwater life by the sea. Snorkels and fins can be rented for as little as 10LE for a day in Dahab. With the reef only being about 5 metres away from the shore in most places this makes snorkelling an ideal activity.

Diving

by graeme83 Written Mar 24, 2009

The Red Sea has some of the best diving sites in the world. It is also a relatively cheap place to learn to dive. There are literally hundreds of dive sites in the area, particularly in the resort towns of Hurgada and Sharm el-Sheikh. I took my PADI open water course in Dahab with a company called Divers Down Under and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Football

by graeme83 Written Mar 24, 2009

Football is easily the biggest sport in Egypt. The big three clubs in the country are Al-Ahly (Cairo), Zamalek (Cairo) and Al-Ismaili (Ismaily). The Egyptian national team are the most successful country ever in the African Cup of Nations with 6 wins. Two of their biggest players (Amr Zaki and Mido) are currently playing in the English Premiership with Wigan.

• MikeySoft's Profile Photo

Dahab: First time Discover Red Sea Scuba Diving

by MikeySoft Updated May 18, 2008

Dahab's Penguin Hotel has a diving center associated with it. It has all types of diving but but the Discover Scuba Diving is a great deal for someone that never dived. It is only 35 Egyptians Pounds less 10% if you are staying at the Penguin Hotel. For 31 Egyptians Pounds (about $5.65 USD) you get an introductory dive.

The dive includes instructions before entering the water. Then they drive to the diving area and you first practice things like clearing your mask and air intake. Once you are ready, they take you on a very shallow dive. They are basically holding your belt and steer you along. If you do ok, and you are happy, they will take you a little deeper. I think a maximum of 10 meters (about 33 feet). It is a wonderful experience.

Please rate my tips when you find them useful, interesting, or like the pictures.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Scubadiving in Dahab

by MalenaN Updated Feb 1, 2008

There are many diving centres in Dahab and I chose Nesima as it had a good reputation and I saw on their website everyone who hadn’t done a dive for six months had to do a check-out dive.
    A very good thing with Nesima is that they never dive in big groups, five divers are the maximum. And the equipment is good and the staff nice. The diving centre is situated in Nesima Resort, and as a diver you can use their pool for free. If you are coming back for lunch they have a nice club sandwich (a club sandwich and a fresh orange juice was 32 pounds). Ten dives at Nesima cost 210 Euro. The diving in Dahab is made from the shore.

There are some very good dive sites around Dahab. The Blue Hole is amazing. I started the dive north of the Blue Hole, descending through a shaft with three walls and on the forth side the open blue sea full of small fishes. The coral wall we swam along towards the Blue Hole was beautiful and rich of life, there were even small wrasses going into the ears. In the end we swam over the Blue Hole.
    Other good dive sites are the Canyon, Islands, and Golden Blocks etc.
    Lighthouse can be a very crowded dive site, both during the day and at night dives.

Diving in Dahab is done from the shore

• Joenes's Profile Photo

Hurghada, Snorkling and Diving in the Red Sea

by Joenes Updated Jun 19, 2007

Book an excursion on a boat which will bring you to the coral reefs in the red sea.
    Beautiful scenes under water with colourfull fish and coral.
    The lunches on the boat are delicious as well and these excursions are very cheap!
    The best way is to go to a local travel agency because that will be way cheaper then what your hotel has to offer!

Equipment: Don't forget an underwater camera!

Diving/Snorkling in the Red Sea Diving/Snorkling in the Red Sea Diving/Snorkling in the Red Sea Diving/Snorkling in the Red Sea Diving/Snorkling in the Red Sea

• janicewilson's Profile Photo

Cycling in the Necropolis of Thebes

by janicewilson Updated Mar 7, 2007

Rating System:

CA rank. My husband's rank. This rank is for folks who are hard core cyclists. My Honey competes at least once a month, and rides Colorado's foothills or mountains on a weekly basis.

JW rank. My rank. This rank is for folks who are married to hard core cyclists. I only dust off the bike for scenery that warrants a bruised bottom.

Scale. 1-10

DIFFICULTY

CA rank. 6. The lack of decent bike rentals combined with the heat make these hills more strenuous then they should be.
    JW rank. 5. Very doable although I was thankful the frequent breaks to see the sights. Only the road to the Valley of the Kings was taxing and I managed this hill without too much panting.

ROADS

CA rank. 6. Early morning - Nice. Paved. Not much traffic. Early afternoon - Not so nice. Traffic and lots of dusts.
    JW rank. 8. I liked the paved roads and appreciated the inclusion of shoulders.

SCENERY & OTHER PERKS

CA rank. 4. Not much to see enroute to the temples and tombs. Although getting a touch of the local flavor was nice.
    JW rank. 4. Agreed.

PARKING ALONG THE WAY

CA rank. 8. The Tourist Police were actually quite accommodating and often offered to look after our bikes.
    JW rank. 8. The included bike locks also gave us a sense of security in leaving our bikes behind.

OVERALL

CA rank. 10. Our best day of vacation. The bicycles allowed us a freedom from the tour buses and the hustlers.
    JW rank. 10. Loved it. Cycling was cooler than walking and we were able to determine our own schedule.

Equipment: We didn't bring our bikes this time as we anticipated cycling only in Luxor. Although Chris suffered (he's 6'4 and difficult to outfit with a bike that accommodates his frame), the bikes we rented on the West Bank more than met our needs.

An early start is a must! We were out of our flat by 5:30 in the morning to catch what few breezes Luxor had to offer. As such, renting the bikes the night before is critical as no bike shops are open early morning.

Finally, bring as much water as you can carry. We both had our Camelbak Hydration Packs.

Deir el Bahari, Temple of Hatshepsut
    • Archeology
    • Cycling
    • Architecture

• Beograd's Profile Photo

Snorkel/Dive

by Beograd Updated Jan 30, 2007

The main reason people come to the Red Sea is diving. The underwater world is beautiful and amazing. Experianced divers say that this sea is one of the best diving areas in the world.
    If you are not a diver, you can always snorkel. It's easy and nice. But you have to put sun-block and it is recomandable if you wear a white T-shirt while you do it.

Equipment: If you are not a proffesional diver you probably don't have your own equipment. But don't worry because you can rent it with the agency that takes you diving or snorkeling. My suggestion is to bring your own snorkel and mask for hygienic reasons. Also bring sun-block and white T-shirt, but do't go if you get seasick.*

Snorkel or die :)
    • Sailing and Boating

• Beograd's Profile Photo

Camil race

by Beograd Updated Jan 30, 2007

Ok... So it's not an actual camil-ride race, but hey! It was my first camil ride ever... It's great unless you are afraid of hight. But don't leave Egypt without trying this. Besides, the next day, you might find yourself feeling some of the leg-muscules you have forgotten about :) It's not dangerours or anything like that. You just listen to your guide when they explane you how to behave when the camil is getting up or getting down.

Race you to the end of the desert and back
    • Desert
    • Safari

• kristil's Profile Photo

700 m and 7 km up from darkness to Sunrise

by kristil Written Jun 8, 2006

Well - everyone who's been there knows. Take it easy anyway - it is quite hard, depends on the weather of course. But remember, U'll be in the dark, camels everywhere, hundreds of people making their "pilgrimage"... To arrive it takes ab 2.5 hrs. I've made it in 1 hr 40 min. once, but believe me - it' s not worth it. U'll have many small bedouin teahouses where to relax and have a cup of tea. Way up there is about 7 km's. Difference of heights is ca 700 m. U can calculate ca 3 hrs before sunset to arrive on time. Depends of course on Ur physical appearance. For children under 12, adults who have some heart, bloodpressure problems, rheuma, not reccommended!!! Think twice before to go. BUT - I've been up there with an 74 year old lady. It took ca 4 hrs but she made it (we made it:)). Just slowly and carefully, step by step and someone for help in this case. But once U'll be up there and see this maarrrvelllooouus sunrise - U'll forget how hard it was (if it was).

Equipment: Depends on weather. If U'll go up there May - Oct. It can be quite warm. Remember that up there will be colder anyway - even in the summertime when in desert will be over 40 C, before sunset there can be 18 C. Nov.- April, specially Dec.- Feb. there's only 5 - 6 C. Some extra T - shirt could be in bag, U'll find out why when U'll arrive :). Specially when it's colder, U'll sweat anyway on Ur way up. Gloves, scarf and cap wintertime. Comfortable footwear!!!

Sunrise. Gebel Musa - Monte Sinai -Moses Mountain Holy Sunrise Another Sunrise, Gebel Musa Gebel Musa, Sunrise on chapel-bell
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Religious Travel

• shivan's Profile Photo

Phase 3: First time at sea!

Hi again.
    After the long training my instructor TINA felt confident I was good enough to face the open waters of the Red Sea.
    I wasn't at all, and passed a troubled night thinking at myself lost in the dark and mysterious depths of the sea. No testament left, moreover.

---continues---

blue reflexes

Phase 2: semi practice at the pool

Well!
    After the intriguing theory lesson, the new appointment was at the pool again for the first dive with all the necessary equipment.
    There have been a few slight differences between this phase and the trial the day before, such as:
    I'll have to wear the terrifying suit...
    ...and a nice 10 kgs belt too...
    ...I had to prepare the cylinder and everything else and I learned it is about 15 kgs heavy

It was 2 PM again, after a light meal and a bit sleepy, I started working after the funny african sun.
    I prepared the equipment and then I faced THE SUIT!
    That terrifying torture instrument is among the most complicated things I have had on.
    Wearing it is so hard, especially if nobody tells you how but only stares at you laughing...
    The refreshment when entering the pool repaid me for everything.
    The lesson went on for about two hours when:
    1) I rotated on myself one hundred times
    2) I found myself upside down another hundred
    3) I drank about 5 liters of chlorine water
    4) I made Tina angry a thousand times

BUT NOTHING COULD STOP ME! Tomorrow, the reef will face me!

isn't that nice?

Phase 1: Theory

by shivan Written May 16, 2006

Ante scriptum: I'll explain later the real meaning of the pictures I'm showing you in this thread. And now:
    PHASE 1: THEORY
    A really intriguing phase indeed!
    I discovered the day before that my instructor will not be the egyptian barracuda, but a german woman who lived (and she still does, I think) there in El Quseir together with her husband from Sicily (who wasn't there that week). That was why she talked a decent italian.
    Her name was (and is) Tina, and she explaind me that I would have gained the SSI first level certificate, otherwise called SSI Scuba Diver. The SSI certification is cheaper than the PADI one because no books or other things were mandatory to be bought.
    The Theory Phase consisted then in a three hours movie to watch, where the most important things to know were explained.
    The question was: I'm on my holiday, so my brain is not properly functioning.
    How could I keep all the informations that the movie was teaching me?
    The mystery would have been solved the day after.

Egypt Hotels

14 Reviews - 37 Photos
Siwa Hotels
119 Reviews - 355 Photos

Instant Answers: Egypt

Comments

Egypt Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Egypt sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Egypt sightseeing.
Map of Egypt