Bahir Dar Restaurants

• lotharscheer's Profile Photo

Ghion Hotel: Free Wifi

by lotharscheer Written May 3, 2014
    Ghion Hotel

Ghion Hotel has free wifi and a nice outor cafe on the lake. I can´t recomment their food (my fried eggs had a rather strange taste) but watching the lake and using the (slow) wifi with a drink is quite nice.

• Photography

• egonwegh's Profile Photo

Ghion Hotel Restaurant: Open air restaurant with lake view

by egonwegh Updated Mar 20, 2014

Bahir Dar, Ghion Hotel, the restaurant

The Ghion Hotel is apparently where all the backpackers go. It is situated right alongside Lake Tana. We had lunch at their open air restaurant. After we'd finished our lunch we rented a local bajaj that took us to the Martyrs' Memorial Monument.

Favorite Dish: We had spicy fish with bread, and drank guave juice.

• rosequartzlover1's Profile Photo

Ethio star hotel restaurant: Hotel restaurant

by rosequartzlover1 Written May 4, 2013

Hotel restaurant. Ethio star hotel ,they has restaurant on 3rd floor ,has indoor and corridor part.I didn’t try to have any food but just drink a little before sleeping.Here is St .George beer ,one of the most famous beer in Ethiopia.The price for 3 beers, one macchiato and 1 water in this hotel was only 70 Birr.,very cheap ,I thought it’ll be much more expensive than local drinking place.The girl staff are friendly too.All those 3 nights I drank there,there was at least one other table, local customer came to eat or drink as well.

• rosequartzlover1's Profile Photo

Lake shore resort restaurant: Lake shore restaurant

by rosequartzlover1 Updated Apr 23, 2013

The first night,I need good food to get more energy.After walking around ,I found this hotel restaurant of "Lake shore resort".It located right by the lake shore.When I arrived ,it’s already dark but it’s ok.We chose table by the lake,still has some good feeling that we are sitting by the lake.Just prepare mosquito cream and put it on every where on your skin ,even on the part of cloths that thin enough for mosquito to bite through,they ‘ll really do bite through it.
    The area has litted some light but still not enough,so I litted up my own candle and some torch to help seeing things around.The staffs were so friendly,they were polite and smile beautifully.I wanted to tell them that”because of your smile make my food even more delicious”
    They first served a basket of bread that was so delicious.I may be so hungry so ate all the bread they provide.There are so variety of food .We ordered 1 plate of chicken and 1 plate of fried beef.They asked if we want the food to be served with rice or vegetable.I chose rice.The vegetable came in fried style.It’s all delicious.I thought that I took the picture but may be I was too hungry so I ate them all before realizing that I should take some picture ; )

• DAO's Profile Photo

ANGAR: UP HIGH AND ON THE LAKE

by DAO Updated Oct 28, 2011

IT'S UP THERE !

This is a great place to eat out. Literally outside if you want with a good view of the lake. The menu was quite extensive and the staff were friendly and attentive. Most importantly very cold drinks were brought to the table quickly. It was a very hot day, so that was great. Food was reasonable in taste and price. I had a fish cutlet. The food was quick as well.

Favorite Dish:
    They have a good sized menu for a small place. You can get some fish (nothing special), pizza and injera dishes.

• Study Abroad

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo

Smiling bakery

by Elisabcn Updated Nov 22, 2010

cakes are the stars!

I WILL TELL YOU NOW: if you go to Ethiopia your breakfast will always be scrambled eggs or fried eggs or omelette. If you are lucky you may find pancakes, which have the same taste as omelettes so better don't ask. That’s why I was soooo happy to find this smiling bakery on a corner on the main road, not far from the bus station. Coffee + cakes and biscuits were excellent and prices had nothing to see with the expensive breakfasts in the hotels either. We were soooo satisfied that we repeated the following day and bought some biscuits for the long road trip to Lalibela. Definitely not to miss!
    Open also on Sundays

Favorite Dish: I would not dare to taste the cakes with cream, just in case . . .

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo

Bahir Dar Hotel

by Elisabcn Updated Nov 22, 2010

Bahir Dar Hotel under the rain

This was the chosen restaurant for two dinners so it should not be too bad! It is a typical Ethiopian hotel, with colorful rooms + shared bathrooms around a courtyard with some shady trees. In this case courtyard was also used as a restaurant, where you could find more locals than tourists having dinner (that should be another good sign). We chose this restaurant for its combination of traditional dishes and (good for me!) pasta with tomato sauce. They also have a good selection of local beers and waiters are very kind. Mains cost between 9-15 Birr.
    No fruit juices.

• flynboxes's Profile Photo

Tana Monasteries: Beans please

by flynboxes Written Feb 13, 2009

Not coffee

The holy men on the monasteries are vegetarians and for protein will eat a local bean that they dry out. Kind of reminded me of a dense nut. You may be offered a handful as you wander around the islands.

• AddisLig's Profile Photo

Caprice Cafe - I think: Lovely Juice Bar

by AddisLig Updated Oct 25, 2007

Favorite Dish: This Place does fantastic smoothie - they call it esprice. The fruits are all fresh and seasonal the choice is limited to that specific season. I had three fruits in mine - Avocado, Guava (ethiopian call it Zeitun), Papay. One word: Delicious. The staff are very relaxed and there is a family atmosphere in the place. I also had coffee in that place and it was lovely as well

• AddisLig's Profile Photo

Caprice Cafe - I think: Lovely Juice Bar

by AddisLig Written Oct 25, 2007

Favorite Dish: This Place does a fantastic smoothie - they call it esprice. The fruits are all fresh and seasonal the choice is limited to that specific season. I had three fruits in mine - Avocado, Guava (ethiopian call it Zeitun), Papay. One word: Delicious. The staff are very relaxed and there is a family atmosphere in the place. I also had coffee in that place and it was lovely as well

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

Enkututash restaurant

by SirRichard Written Feb 4, 2007

Enkututash restaurant

This is one of the few accptable restaurants here. Don't expect luxury, the place is rather popular amongst locals and is simple but OK. And if there is a place where you can see foreignrs is here, as it is included in the LP guide.
    There is a new restaurant (Enkututash 2) located very near in the same avenue as Post Office but a little further, passed the Ghion Hotel. This 2nd one is a little more "luxury", located in a cottage, but roughly the same menu,

Favorite Dish: I had fish with spicy sauce and injhera. 15B (1,5USD)

• Beer Tasting

• frockland's Profile Photo

Tana Pastry and Restaurant: Draft Beer

by frockland Written Aug 12, 2004

The pastry is downstairs and sells nice coffee and cakes The on the first floor is quite popular, especially when the daily barrel of draft Dashen Beer is sold for 1,60 Birr / 0.5 l.

Meals are tasty and go for about 8 Birr.

• sachara's Profile Photo

Ghion Hotel: Why to eat somewhere else?

by sachara Written May 3, 2004

terrace and restaurant of the Ghion Hotel

The food in the Ghion Hotel was very good and cheap. The staff is very friendly and you can sit in a great ambiance, in the flowering garden at the lakeside of Lake Tana.
    So, we didn't go somewhere else.

It was nice to have breakfast at the (still empty) terrace, early in the morning, and to look at the soft morninglight at the lake.
    Breakfast with juice and eggs costs about 1,5 euro.

We liked our dinner in this hotel, with meals with different kind of meat and fish or vegetarian, soup, salades, desserts or the local injera.
    Dinner with one drink costs about 2,5 euro.

• hanspeter_W.'s Profile Photo

summerland hotel: delicious hotel restaurant

by hanspeter_W. Written Nov 21, 2012
    excellent service of waitress at summerland

very nice food , very friendly service..good price

Favorite Dish: various from pasta over local food to salad and soup

• frockland's Profile Photo

Rebirth Cafe: Best Coffee

by frockland Written Aug 12, 2004

Favorite Dish: Another popular hangout in the Rebirth Cafe opposite the Tana Restaurant. They serve good pastry and Coffee. Try the Machiato!

Instant Answers: Bahir Dar

Comments

Bahir Dar Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Bahir Dar restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bahir Dar sightseeing.