Debark' Off The Beaten Path

• Off The Beaten Path
  • Off The Beaten Path
    Enterring Amba Giorgis
    by rosequartzlover1

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Debark'

• rosequartzlover1's Profile Photo

Along the way from Gonder to Debark (5)

by rosequartzlover1 Updated Jul 10, 2013
    Pisum Sativum.

Local people were so friendly ,instead of coming to begging but many of them tried to give some kind of bean they were eating.People on the bus also having it.People on the road were having it.I don't know where they got it from,probably in the field along the way.They all tried to give me.The bus driver,passenger ,a man walking pass by ,including the kids.I kept denying cuz I wasn't sure if I might have allergic from it or not..Finally after they tried to persuade me to try ,I took some of them.There are 2kinds of bean they gave me.Both of them are field pea but al ittle bit different species.One is "Pisum sativum" (pic 1,2) This one ,little paler colour and richly nutritional value,with vitamins A,B6,C,E ,K,potassium ,beta carotene and even calcium.The other one is 'Vicia Faba" also known as "broad bean" Broad beans are rich in L-dopa, a substance used medically in the treatment of Parkinson's disease. L-dopa is also a natriuretic agent, which might help in controlling hypertension,BUT having RAW broardbean ,it contain "alkaloid vicine" which is toxic causing the disease "favism" which concern about deficiency in red blood cell metabolism,effect mostly in children.
    Broadbean is one of the most poppular bean in ethiopia.They are mainly used as an alternative to peas to prepare a flour called "shiro", which is used to make "shiro wot" (a stew almost widespread in Ethiopian dishes)(pic 3,4)

• rosequartzlover1's Profile Photo

Along the way from Gonder to Debark (4)

by rosequartzlover1 Written Jul 4, 2013

While waiting in traffic jam.All vehicles stop the engine .I walked around to meet people along the way.I walked up into a bus ,said hello to every body on the bus ,they were friendly back to me .We talked a bit .I asked permission from driver if I can take some photo in his bus,he said yes,so here are some pictures of the bus that running between Bahir Dar to Shire.(pic 2,3)
    People who live near by that area were so friendly,..not long after traffic stop ,they appeared from no where.They approach me at the same time I approach them too because I wanted to know local people more.We can't understand each other language but we use hand and gesture to understand each other somehow.I expect the begging from them a bit but they tried only once and after that they prefer to talk ,sometime with the help of some body who can speak some english near by. It was nice.

• rosequartzlover1's Profile Photo

Along the way from Gonder to Debark (3)

by rosequartzlover1 Written Jul 4, 2013

After past Amba Giorgis ,we had problem a little bit.The road construction...,not surprised much because already prepare to meet this situation.The road condition was quite terrible as you can see from pic1.Traffic congestion ,vehicles has to stop and wait their turn(pic 5),only one side can pass but very slowly because they have to follow the tractor truck (pic 4) that trying to flatten the surface otherwise it's so hard to get through and because of rain ,the road was very slippery too.But after everybody had been waiting for so long ,it seem that no body can pass by at all.Some impetient driver tried to drive through even Mr. red - green flag tried to do his job but seem like no body want to obey, so the scene start to be a little mess.Some vehicle got stuck in the mud ,made traffic even slower.People had to help(pic 2,3) otherwise no body can go.We waited at this point around half an hour then we continue to Debark.

• rosequartzlover1's Profile Photo

Along the way from Gonder to Debark (2)

Enterring Amba Giorgis

After driving along mountain range for about 20km. we will pass a small village "Amba Giorgis" The altitude is 2, 950m ( Gonder is 2,120m ) temperature is a little cooler ,people like to wear shawl or the " Netela" .. hand made heavy cloth capes and wraparound body and head.We can see the poorness all around but at least one thing...the road construction here is almost finished completely (2012) the surface is flat and smooth ,only footpath and the sewer system that still don't do yet (and I think it'll remain like that ..for good) Anyway.. the quality of life should be a little better than before.

• rosequartzlover1's Profile Photo

Along the way from Gonder to Debark (1)

by rosequartzlover1 Written Jul 4, 2013

From Gonder to Debark ...After leaving Gonder to the north for about 15 km ,we start to see mountain scenery like this in the first picture.Then a little turning to north east ,the mountain range will be on our left like this for about 20 km. I asked driver to stop and take a short break and take some picture.There were trucks like in second picture passing to and fro ,for road construction with the help from China.

View at the Simien Mountians from the north

view from the north

North of Debark we descended deep into the canyon by a winding road on our way to the Tigray. Driving in the direction of Shire and Aksum, we had the most fantastic views to all sides fro hours.

Especially the view at the mountainridge of the Simien Mountains in different grey tones in the hazy early morninglight was stunning.
    Our visit to the Simien Mountains National Park the day before was allready very impressive, especially the views from the plateau deep down the escarpments to the north. Now I found out, that the views from the north back to the jagged mountainridge even was more spectacular.

• sachara's Profile Photo

Rough mountains and cultivated terraces

north of Debark

Walking along the road in the mountains north of Debark we saw some agricultural activities on small-scale cultivated terraces. It was amazing to see, how the local people in this rough and barren mountain area succeeded to cultivate their crops.

At the background we saw the peaks of the Simien Mountains. It was fantastic tobe inthe middle of this landscape for hours, before we had to say goodbye to this breathtaking area of Africa.

Breathtaking landscape north of Debark

north of Debark

In this north-western part of the country the landscape looked rather green. We really enjoyed our drive through these mountains.
    The landscape was so wonderful, the road so winding and the slopes so steep, that we asked the driver to drive not too fast. Not only because of safety reasons, but also because there was so much to see.

Beisdes we made some stops, we did also some walking along the road to have a better look. It was a great way to experience the overwhelming surrounding landscape, while the temperature was nice because of the early hour and the height.

• Hiking and Walking

Views en route from Debark to Aksum

Simien Mountains from the north

We left Debark very early in the morning to travel to the north. So we had enough time to make stops to enjoy the spectacular views in this mountaineous area.

After every bend of the road a new breathtaking landscape appeared. The early morning light and the haze gave a very serene and mysterious atmosphere. Luckily there was hardly any traffic on the dry and dusty unpaved road, so we could really enjoy our stops along the road.

• frockland's Profile Photo

Simien Mountains are off the beaten track

by frockland Updated Aug 31, 2004

Be aware that the Simien Mountains are off the beaten track. Depending on how far you will walk into the park it might take days to find medical help or the next hospital. Even buying food can be a problem if you ran out of it!

All the campsites in the National Park are very basic. There is a hut or a kind of a shelter but they are not for the purpose of staying in there overnight. The pit toilets are clean and the showers are (ice) cold.

There are villages and you can visit them to get a deeper look inside what life means for the people living in such a remote part of the country. Don`t expect anybody to speak English!

Instant Answers: Debark'

Comments

Debark' Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Debark' off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Debark' sightseeing.