Debre Zeyit Travel Guide

chilling by the lake
    Lake Bishoftu Guda

Debre Zeyit Things to Do

by egonwegh Updated Feb 26, 2015

Access to the crater lake from the Viewpoint Lodge turned out to be quite easy, and fortunately we had remembered to take our swimming gear with us in the plane when we came to Ethiopia. So we made the descent from the crater rim, found the primitive landing place and actually went for a swim in Babogaya Lake (I managed only a few strokes...).

Debre Zeyit, swimming in Babogaya Lake Debre Zeyit, swimming in Babogaya Lake Debre Zeyit, swimming in Babogaya Lake
    • Water Sports

by egonwegh Updated Mar 21, 2014

14 November 2013. Bird watching, the owner of the Viewpoint Lodge took us to this wonderful place in his pickup truck. Cranes and marabou storks, but only from a distance, since they decided to spend the night on the other side of the lake.

Debre Zeyit, bird watching at nightfall

by iaint Written Feb 19, 2012

My main purpose in visiting the town.

I've written a bit on my intro page, so I won't repeat it here. I will put in more pictures.

Getting there was an adventure, and seeing a bit of the country around Addis Ababa was fun

Lake Hora also Lake Hora Lake Bishoftu Guda also Bishoftu Guda Lake Bishoftu
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Adventure Travel

Debre Zeyit Restaurants

by egonwegh Updated Nov 30, 2013

Really amazing spot, as if sitting on a stage in some kind of play, high above the crater lake. Be sure to bring your binoculars with you! On Bishoftu Lake.

Favorite Dish: We had lunch at the Dreamland Garden Restaurant. I had a tasty cheeseburger with french fries; and papaya juice. Transport to and from the hotel took place by means of 2 small taxis (bajaj).

Debre Zeyit, Dreamland Hotel, panorama crater lake Debre Zeyit, Dreamland Hotel, ride on taxi (bajaj)

by iaint Updated Jan 11, 2012

It overlooks the lake. It is calm and beautiful. I enjoyed the food - see below - injera etc. They offer European dishes as well as local.

I was taken there by my guide, and the bill was part of the excursion cost - so no price information. Sorry.

It was quiet when I was there, but I suspect it will be busy at the weekends.

Favorite Dish: Injera is a bit like bread. It’s made from tef, and looks like tripe. Tef is a local grain. Tibs - bits of meat in a spicy sauce, quite like curry. Lab is a soft white cheese. You tear off a bit of the injera, grab some tibs or lab with it (all using the right hand only) and pop it in your mouth. It tastes better than it sounds.

the entrance the views the food
    • Eco-Tourism

• Debre Zeyit Hotels

0 Hotels in Debre Zeyit

Debre Zeyit Transportation

by iaint Written Feb 19, 2012

I got there by car (well, 4x4) having booked an excursion through the tour company at my hotel.

All very superior - I was the only person in the tour "group". The road is a real beast. Mostly very congested, with lots of slow moving trucks belching out diesel fumes, minibuses darting in and out of traffic etc. The surface isn't wonderful in places.

By contrast, the town is all very clean and orderly!

It took 90 minutes in each direction.

my transport
    • Adventure Travel

Debre Zeyit Favorites

by egonwegh Updated Dec 13, 2013

Favorite thing: Catch a glimpse of local transport, we saw this horse cart used by school children, local equivalent of the school bus.

Debre Zeyit, street scene

Instant Answers: Debre Zeyit

Comments

Debre Zeyit Travel Guide
Map of Debre Zeyit