Gonder Tourist Traps

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Gonder

• boltonian's Profile Photo

Check the Price

by boltonian Written Aug 2, 2008

We were approached by a 'friend' of our taxi driver.

He said he had a Dutch couple ready to go on a half day tour to the Simien Mountains and they wanted us to go to split the cost. 200 Birr each.

We said yes.

We met up with the guy, and he had some bad news. The Dutch couple could not go so we had to pay 400 Birr each. We knew the couple had been made up, so we refused and said we wouldn't go.

After some negotiation, he said if we paid 250 Birr, he would take us. We agreed.

After the trip, we handed him the cash and he said no no. He wanted us to pay 350 each. We refused and a long stand off occured. I was about to suggest that we call the police, knowing that he was not an official guide. However, my friend agreed to pay him 600 Birr.

I would have been happy to pay 600 Birr for this trip, however, it was the chnaging price that angered me.

This offer of a Dutch couple happened a few other times in Ethiopian cities, we declined all.

Unique Suggestions: I suggest you get a written price, so there can be no dispute.

• SirRichard's Profile Photo

Habesha Kifto Restaurant

by SirRichard Written Feb 18, 2007

The main facade

This is the most famous restaurant here in Gonder, and in most guides you will find it. But I personally think it was a little tourist trap. You will find here all the groups of tourists you previously saw at the castles, as nearly all groups come here. It is decorated in "walls covered of souvenirs" style and the dishes cost more than double their standard price: ok, let's say it's 2 USD instead of 1, but you know what I mean.
    I generally prefer a place where locals come daily, I get a more accurate idea of how local life is.

Unique Suggestions: Located in front of the castles entrance

• frockland's Profile Photo

Woleka Village

by frockland Updated Sep 4, 2004

About 5 km north of Gondar on the road to Shire is the Woleka Village a former Felasha Village. Felashas are Jewish but during the last famine most of them left Ethiopia and immigrated to Israel.
    The village is basically the only remaining place where you can check out Felasha tradition. There is a temple and the inhabitants, most of them are not Jewish anymore, produce some pottery in the Felasha tradition.

This is useful website about Felasha:

Instant Answers: Gonder

Comments

Gonder Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Gonder tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gonder sightseeing.