Places to eat in Ethiopia

Most Viewed Restaurants in Ethiopia

• Bata - Traditional Restaurant and Bar: Magical, this place will take your breath away...

by GourmeTraveller Updated Jul 11, 2010

The very moment you enter through majestical gates, you will feel literally stepping into paradise… Lush vegetation, canopies of shadowy tress, soothing water features, ornamental beauty is what presents itself. This is the start of an absolute culinary experience. This idyllic sanctuary dispels all stress and unhappiness and brings soothing comfort and an almost wonderful peace and the mind is imbued in absolute bliss. You know, you are in Bata, a family owned and managed Ethiopian restaurant that takes Ethiopian cuisine to an new unparallel level.

Every detail is meticulous, the very friendly staff are but a whisper away to ensure that your true dining experience will be filled with unforgettable memories. The owner takes great pride to ensure that every meal served is nothing but perfection and the reward is true moments made. Great local Abesha entertainment will ensure that it will make your shoulders move on their own to the rhythm of soft melodious local music and the dancers will never fail to impress you with their awesome moves and incredible talents.

It’s hard to leave this place knowing you escaped the hassles of the outside world, once you indulge in a true coffee ceremony you know it will be time to leave, but you will already be planning a return soon.

Truly a magnificent place, an enjoyment that’s comes so simply yet leaves you so invigorated and spiritually uplifted. Bata truly breathless….

Favorite Dish: Njera with great tasting tibs... a true culinary experience.

Garden Garden Meal Cultural dancing Entrance to restaurant

Quara Hotel & Restaurant-Gondar

by elsadran Updated Jul 3, 2010

The most convenient central hotel in Gondar is Quara Hotel & Restaurant which has small but nice rooms.
    I didn't stay there but I can recommend it as a restaurant because I had both breakfast and dinner there almost daily. Its most strong asset is the leafy courtyard where the restaurant is, perfect for a romantic dinner, and a nice terrace with view over the central square for a good breakfast. The staff are very polite but extremely slow...
    Prices are average for Ethiopia. It will cost you about 70b-100b a person.

injera with vegetables in Quara hotel-Gondar

Tomoca, Addis Ababa

by elsadran Updated Jul 3, 2010

"Tomoca" is the best coffee house in Addis. The beans are roasted in front of your eyes and the smell of real coffee covers all your senses. Try it just for the experience...
    There are no chairs to rest. You have to drink it standing up at the tall tables. They have the best coffee beans on show and you can try any kind you desire. It is very picturesque with an old Italian atmosphere but they didn't let me take photos. The only one I have I “stole” it much to the disturbance of the people working...
    The cafe is located on Wavel street near the junction with Churchil Road.

Tomoca Cafe, Addis Ababa

Rodeo Bar and Restaurant, Addis Ababa

by elsadran Updated Jul 3, 2010

This elegant bar-restaurant is located in a small side street of Africa avenue, ( Bole Road) across Shoa Shopping Center, and next to Edsonatra Hotel.
    It is warm and relaxed. It is always full because of the delicious barbecue they have in the evening in the yard where they light an open fire. Very atmospheric! The decoration and the waiters' outfit try to imitate the American cowboy style, too much of it I think, but the good service and their warm smiles make you feel relaxed and prepare your stomach for the tasty food. There is a wide selection of local and Western food. I tried almost everything – I had very few alternatives in Addis, anyway.
    The chicken, fish and meat brochettes, cooked on the open fire after 8.00 in the evening were almost perfect! They are served with salad and soup and cost 100birr. Salads are carefully prepared and I also liked spaghetti carbonara, not very authentic but quite good compared to other Ethiopian food of course... Their wine collection is very rich including South african wine, Dortze Dof, white or red, which is excellent!
    After 11.00 it turns into a happy bar full of life. The music is good most of the times, including jazz, rock and sometimes very mellow american old music. The style of music and food changes depending on the day of the week.
    Good wines cost 30b a glass and 400b a bottle. The cheap local wine better be avoided especially Aksumite which can make you vomit. Gouder is better, maybe, but I still don't like it. These cost about 100b a big bottle.

Rodeo Bar and Restaurant, Addis Ababa drinking with my friends
    • Wine Tasting

• elsadran's Profile Photo

Family Snack, restaurant, Dere Dawa.

by elsadran Updated Jul 2, 2010

The dishes are similar to Paradiso Restaurant but a little more expensive and a little less tasty. Only it is open for more hours than Paradiso.
    So if you are addicted to Paradiso and you find it closed go there.
    The taxi drivers know where it is and the taxi, which is actually a bajaj cost only 1-2 birr per person.

Dire Dawa

Paradiso Restaurant - Dire Dawa

by elsadran Written Jul 2, 2010

Paradiso Restaurant was my favourite in Dire Dawa. Not only because of the food but also because of the pleasant environment in the garden with the tall trees and the fresh air. The service is also very good and the staff is friendly and efficient.
    The menu includes local and western dishes and some of them are very tasty. I had lasagna most of the times as well as roasted goat, although most of its dishes are worthy of a try.
    Mains are about 25-45 which is average for Ethiopia
    It is located in Kezira. All taxi drivers know it, don't worry!

Paradiso Restaurant - Dire Dawa I took my local friends to Paradiso for dinner

Restaurant of Pina Hotel- Awasa

by elsadran Written Jul 2, 2010

This restaurant belongs to Pina hotel. The new one, because I think there is an older hotel with the same name.
    The first time I visited for dinner I was really relieved because I was coming from the South where my body suffered with spicy local food, omelet and spaghetti for 10 days...I was sick of them. So the luxurious ambient, the nicely served dishes with the Italian touch and the excellent service seemed to me like heaven.
    But the second time, after I had already tried some good restaurants in Addis I thought the quality and quantity in this restaurant was of lesser value. Anyway you can find good Italian dishes and a variety of local ones which are acceptable. The balcony is pleasant for lunch and romantic for dinner.
    Main dishes are 25-30 birr and there is a pastry shop on the ground floor with European chocolate and tasty cakes. You can find it on the main street. It's impossible to miss it.

internet photo

Pina hotel - Awasa

Menelaos – Roasted chicken – Dere Dawa

by elsadran Written Jul 1, 2010

A whole chicken costs 50 birr. These delicious small chickens are served in this atmospheric restaurant owned by a very old Greek man, Menelaos, who has stayed in Ethiopia half his life. He is usually sitting in front of it as if he is part of the decoration.
    The restaurant is open in the morning and then again in the evening. The chicken is really good and there is also cabbage salad and a lot of beer, wine and light drinks.
    Tell him to roast the chicken more if it looks a little raw because it is much more tasty. The chickens are raised by Menelaos himself, they told us. All the taxi drivers know where it is.

Menelaos in front of his chicken restaurant..

Dib Andessa Hotel & Restaurant - Bahir Dar

by elsadran Updated Jun 28, 2010

If you are tired of local food go to Dib Andessa Hotel. I liked the food there, especially because the grilled food is really grilled, with no oil as it usually happens in Ethiopia.
    The hotel rooms are no good, but I recommend it as a restaurant.
    The dishes tend to be more western than local judging by the way they are cooked. Their taste is satisfactory. The service is excellent for Ethiopian standards.
    The terrace of the restaurant is a real joy with fine breezes and views of the lake.
    Mains cost 25-30b plus the tax you always pay at the good restaurants which is about 16% here.
    This hotel is just a few meters from Summerland.

view from the terrace of Dib Andessa  Restaurant

• Rodeo Bar and Restaurant: Give this restaurant a miss...

by GourmeTraveller Written Jun 13, 2010

Looking for a good steak my friends and I came upon a sign board on the very popular Bole Road, in Addis Ababa. Rodeo with a bronking cowboy. I was impressed with the decor and all the effects of a true Texas set up, with the wagon wheels, cactus, lanterns we knew we were in store for a great meal.

Chicken wings and steaks where ordered without delay and then the wait begun, after about 30 minutes the wings arrived and then the disappointment begun. The wings where obviously pre boiled and then skillet fried, one side was black and charred and it tasted, not chicken wings, after a few attempts it was pushed aside. Another 20 minutes rolled by and then we begged our waiter to bring on our steaks, and it arrived. The thin steak I ordered was lightly covered with mushroom sauce. After a few mouth full’s, my palette decided that it had enough, the sauce was sour, clearly on the spoilt side, I decided I would then get my far share of the fries, my chips where hard and the fork was unable to penetrate it.

I looked at the faces of my friends and I saw absolute despair. We called for the bill and decided we would look for another restaurant, we were still hungry. Then I felt my stomach hosting a gymnastics competition. We abandoned dinner plans for the evening and headed back to the hotel. I was sick, I did not leave the bathroom for two hours. The next day I was still sick, when I checked in with my mates there where all suffering. But on a good note we did find a good steak restaurant in Addis, it’s called MK's

Favorite Dish: I don't have a recommendation for any.....

• Villa Verde( AKA Chez fasil) and Oroscopo: My top two picks!

by danaL9 Written Dec 12, 2009

I, like everyone else who's been in Addis for a while have gotten my faves down pat. My main two are Villa Verde which is also known as Chez Fasil -authentic french wining and dining in the heart of Addis, really relaxed wonderful ambience, the perfect place to pass an evening. They have really great steak dishes and for dessert try the excellent Chocolat Gateau and make sure to take a moment to speak with the proprietor- he’s mulitlingual ( French, English etc..) and beyond amusing. Its in a really great old villa and the decor is perfect. The other favorite is Oroscopo- its a gem in the old Piazza quarter, really fantastic pizza- maybe the best pizza in Addis, good mixed veggies , the grilled steak is out of this world and the downtown piazza vibe is really great. Again, the owner here is really nice and service very welcoming. Villa Verde is in front of Meskel flower-ask for it by name anyone can point it out. Oroscopo - in piazza near Enrico's pastry.

Favorite Dish: Cheesy, savoury pizza at Oroscopo and basically all the main Meat dishes at Villa verde-Chez fasil's. Villa Verde's chocolate cake is homemade baking heaven! The prices by European/American standards are very reasonable-almost a steal and I take all my visiting friends, new clients to both places. They're both serious crowd pleasers.

• DAO's Profile Photo

OMER KAYHAM RESTAURANT: THE WORST RESTAURANT IN ETHIOPIA

by DAO Updated Jul 6, 2008

This Place is so bad it should probably be on my ‘Warning & Dangers’ list. I ate here with 2 local friends and we couldn’t even finish our meagre portions. First, I asked for chicken soup and got a bowl of what look and tasted like the glue stuff you used to make Papier-mâché as a child. To add insult to injury I order a chicken dish. They brought out an over fried piece of diseased looking chicken that I couldn’t even eat. After a few beers I went to the toilets that had obviously not been cleaned since I had a few beers in here 6 months before. In fact, I don’t think they have ever been cleaned. The staff? They watch TV right in the middle of the restaurant and ignore you. You are interrupting their television programme.

The most shocking thing? This place is recommended by 2 guide books!

Favorite Dish: The only plus side to this dump is that they sell quality draft beer for 22 U.S. cents. That would explain why this place is always packed, but you never see anyone eating in here.

• DAO's Profile Photo

FASIKA NATIONAL RESTAURANT: A GREAT NIGHT OUT

by DAO Updated Feb 25, 2008

This place is always busy and there is a very good reason for this. Fasika rocks. It has staff dressed in different tribal dress representing Ethiopia, it has fantastic food and an entertaining live music and dance show. You get all this and Tej too for less than $10 a person. Really. It’s closed on Monday and I would advise you ring for reservations. The waitresses bring you mouth watering food and will sometimes even dance with you at your table (pictured). Need some more Injera or sauce? No problem. This is a wholesome fun night out for everyone. Then sit back and watch and listen to music and dance from several tribal areas of the country.

Favorite Dish: It’s all good! I went with a small group and we ordered several dishes and washed it all down with some strong Tej.

• Business Travel

• mike_gda's Profile Photo

Any restaurant in Ethiopia: Try injera - the national dish of Ethiopia

by mike_gda Written Dec 2, 2007

Injera is the most popular dish in Ethiopia and is served in every restaurant. It is made of teff - a kind of crop that grows in Ethiopia. It is a pancake like bread with addition - mainly meat on the top of it. It should be eaten with only the right hand, you should tear a piece of injera and then grasp with it the ingridients that lay on it. No knife or fork is served. Needless to say that all the banknotes in Ethiopia have to be changed to new ones very often...;).
    Injera have a specific, slightly bitter taste. If you get bored with it usually it is possible to order dishes with bread instead of injera.

• Bashir2005's Profile Photo

Ras Hotel Restaurant: Har Hotel Restaurant

by Bashir2005 Written May 19, 2007

I would not suggest anyone to eat meat in this part of Ethiopia. My friend who works for WFP said that he only eats at main hotels and not the local restaurants. I too feel not to eat carefree and always enjoyed a good meal in the the big hitels. There are however, very good Restaurants in Dire Dawa. If you are eating in Hararm, just make sure you eat at the hotel you are staying.

Favorite Dish: Doro Wot dish was my favourite dish, this is a tender chicken marinated in lemon sautéed in seasoned butter and stewed in a red pepper sauce, flavored with onions, garlic and ginger root with a pinch of cardamoms and nutmeg. Be careful, Ethiopian dishes must be have hot chilli power always but, you can ask mid if you cannot take the heat. I have seen people crying their eyes out because they ordered the wrong dish. Tel the waiter the dishes to be very mild.

• Singles

1 Review - 8 Photos
Debre Zeyit Hotels
1 Review - 3 Photos

Instant Answers: Ethiopia

Comments

Ethiopia Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ethiopia restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ethiopia sightseeing.
Map of Ethiopia