Accra Restaurants

• GirishL's Profile Photo

Veda Indian Restaurant: Don't Miss the Authentic Indian Food

by GirishL Written Jun 28, 2013
    Front view of restaurant

On my visit to Accra i visited a very newly opened Authentic Indian Restaurant located on Spintex Road, the ambience was awesome you feel you are in Indian Haveli (Fort) with background of Punjab state ambience, the food and service was another pleasure waiting for us to explore the chef's special and another specialty of restaurant charcoal grilled chicken which takes six hours to cook so you have to order it well before time for you to be served.

Favorite Dish: Atta Chicken well marinated with Indian herbs and spices and cooked for six hours is a must have for a visit.

• Wine Tasting

• DAO's Profile Photo

SCUM !: HOTEL PALOMA "PATAASE RESTAURANT"

by DAO Updated Feb 3, 2013

OUCH ! I BROKE A TOOTH !

It is not just the staff who are scum. The food is s.hit as well. ''The Pataase” is a nice looking restaurant owned by a hotel chain I will never use now. It has a nice outside, covered dinning area that should be ideal for a romantic meal or just a few beers. Service was slow and ignorant. Having said that, if you are systematically ripping off customers- who gives a damn really? I ordered some sort of kebab starter and was presented - after asking if they had forgotten my food - with some diseased chicken chunks so deep fried that I almost broke a tooth. It was so hard I could not break off a small piece to feed one of the cats (pictured). I then ordered a dish, well tried to. Palava sauce with goat and yam. When I asked how the yam was prepared, I was hissed at by the waitress. Nice. It was ok. Not sure if the advertised meat was in it, but ok.

So then the bill after chasing staff for everything. And it didn't add up. Too much actually.

My bill had a large charge for carrot juice. I mean some very expensive carrot juice! I kept thinking this was a deliberate overcharge. Then I looked at my guidebook and it mentioned 'odd items appearing on the bill'. You think service is slow and bizarre here? Ask them to take the carrot juice off!

So if you want over-price, bad food, injure your dental work, have staff steal your money - and - talk to you like a jackass..... eat here.

Favorite Dish:
    Nothing. AVOID.

WOK INN: CHINESE AT THE AIRPORT

by DAO Updated Oct 17, 2012

WOK INN - AT ACCRA AIRPORT

I first saw the Wok Inn as I came out of the airport with my bags looking for a taxi or other ground transport. I was a little surprised to see this eating establishment since it is essentially a sit down restaurant at the major exit of a large airport. I did notice it looked busy though. I did manage to finally 'Wok Inn' to this fine little establishment my last night in Accra. I had a night flight and arrived early. I was a little bit hungry and walked outside after checking my bags in. The lone staff member behind the counter was very nice and quickly organised my cold Star beer and took my order of Garlic Chicken. I heard him speak to the man in the kitchen and I could hear a wok going into action.

A few minutes later I had a lovely garlic chicken, and boiled rice. It tasted great. The dish itself was spicy both in flavour and just a slight bit of temperature. There was added hot sauce for those of you wanting a lot of heat. The chicken was fresh, the onions and peppers were full of flavour and the garlic just right. My meal was 15 Cedi (about $6 or 4 Euro).

I have to say this is actually a great little restaurant and 100 times better than any other food in the airport. Either before or after security.

So at Accra International Airport - get in here! The best food is here.

• Singles

• DAO's Profile Photo

CASA DIVA: WOW ! GUINEA FOWL !

by DAO Updated Oct 8, 2012

CASA DIVA - GUINEA FOWL

When I first walked into Casa Diva for lunch, I was greeted warmly and a nice table was arranged for me. The first thing I noticed was how wonderful the décor was. The second thing I noticed was the owner, a wonderful lady named Fauziya, speaking on the phone with one of her suppliers. She was telling them that the Guinea Fowls they had been providing were too small and that they would not be using them again. That’s when I realised I was about to dine in a classy place that takes its food, atmosphere and customers seriously. My cold beer arrived swiftly and my chicken pizza was one of the best pizzas I have ever had.

Fauziya checked several times to make sure my service from her staff and my food was all in order. She then invited me to come back in the evening for their roast Guinea Fowl. How could I resist?

I didn’t.

When I arrived in the evening I saw the outside grill man making takeaway kebabs for passing customers and that looked very good. When I went inside I watched the staff at work. Wow. I was greeted warmly by a waited I had not met before. I was shown to a waiting table, small snacks appeared instantly and my drink order was taken. Only then was I given a menu to look at. Whilst I looked over the menu and waited for my beer – I saw Fauziya and here husband Larry greeting every customer. They were everywhere insuring customers were happy, that the staff were doing everything possible and that everyone was enjoying their evening. My cold beer was produced and I ordered the Guinea Fowl of course! When I went to wash my hands, I came back to find one of Casa Diva’s signature services. My beer coaster was placed on top of my beer to keep things out. Not that you ever have to worry in a restaurant that is hospital clean. Although a fly might get in here.

Fauziya saw me and came over and welcomed me back. She is a really nice lady and she spoke to me for a while. She is from the north of Ghana and she wants to make Casa Diva a fantastic restaurant where customers will love to dine again and again. Job well done Fauziya!

My waiter came to take me to my table a few minutes later and get me another beer of course. Then they brought me an absolutely huge plate of wonderful food. Delicious Guinea Fowl grilled to perfection mixed with onions and peppers. It was served with delicious spicy rice and a fresh salad. It was spicy, but in a tasty and not hot temperature wise. There was a small dish of very hot sauce served on the side so you can raise the temperature if you want to.

This is one of the best meals and restaurants in Africa. Just a totally great experience. If you only have one night in Accra Ghana – tell the taxi to bring you here.

Larry even offered to drive me back to my hotel as I was a Tourist and had been drinking beer. They are just awesome people and the staff they employee are great as well.

Favorite Dish:
    Roast (and grilled) Guinea Fowl with some ice cold Star beers, and the free snacks they bring you. Also great pizzas.

Asanka Locals Chop Bar: Asanka Locals Chop Bar

by georeiser Written Feb 24, 2011

Asanka Locals Chop Bar, Accra

Asanka Locals Chop Bar is a local restaurant where they sell of colorful dishes from all places in Ghana. It's a place to eat, drink and hang out with the family.
    Music is also an important part of a chop bar, and live music comes from the inside stage. The prices are mid range.

Favorite Dish: The basic food in Ghana often consists of soup with stew, or spicey palmoil with meat or fish. Essential for the chop bar is the food and the beer.

Eureka beach club: Labadi beach

by georeiser Written Feb 24, 2011
    Eureka beach club, Labadi beach

Eureka beach club is one of the eating places in front of Labadi beach. The food is good and the beer is cold. You will be stopped by the staff and asked to sit down. It's a competition for the restaurant to get hold of the customers.

Favorite Dish: Chicken Jolluf Rice

Local food: Ghanaian cuisine

by georeiser Updated Feb 24, 2011
    Ghanaian food

Favorite Dish: The food in Accra region: Kenkey (from corn) with Stew, Kenkey with hot paper, kenkey with Soup. But the oreginal is Kenkey with hot paper and fried fish.
    In some region and town Kenkey is Taboo on a particular day like Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

The food in Kumasi: The typical food there is Fufu with hot light paper soup, Fufu with groundnut soup, Fufu with Palmnut oil soup and with some bush meet. The Akan man can not do a good meal without Fufu. As for Kumasi there have no Taboo for a particular food day.

The food in the Volta region: Banku is the typical food for this region. Also with Okro Soup, hot paper, groundnut soup, light hot paper soup with dried fish. The people of this region will not get a good meal without Fufu.
    Towozafi is also the typical food for the Northern part of Ghana. They can not wait for day break or day end for this meal. This meal is so good because it's goes with raw leaves and vegetables as well and some meat and fish.

Next Door: Next Door Restaurant

by georeiser Updated Feb 24, 2011

Next Door Restaurant in Accra

Next Door Beach Resort has a large outdoor restaurant with a stage/dance floor. It's a popular and lively entertainment spot with live band every Friday, or for weddings, parties and other special occasions.

I am sorry to say I was fooled by the waiter one day I ate breakfast. He had worked here so many years, but was nevertheless tempted to take a higher price and not give me back the exchange. I guess he though I was a walk-in customer, an Obruni who didn't care. The breakfast was twice the price.

Favorite Dish: They serve Ghanaian dishes like Fufu, Jollof or Banku with Goat, Chicken, Beef, Fish, Snails or Bushmeat. Others dishes include Red Red, Okra Stew, Tilapia, etc.
    The Continental dishes include Seafood (Fish, Octopus, Lobster), Chicken, Beef, Salad, Rice, Chips, Pasta, Pizza, Khebab, etc.

The bar is stocked with a wide range of spirits, local and imported beers, cocktails, wines, fruit juices and soft drinks.

• Beer Tasting

• Ethiopian Restaurant and Bar: Great food and even better decor.

by touristdude Written Oct 7, 2010

The outside of the restaurant doesn't give you the impression of anything special but the inside is the exact opposite. It has lots of cultural paintings and posters.
    The restaurant celebrates many Ethiopian festivals such as Meskal and Enkutatesh which bring in many Ethiopian and foreign people. Not many Ghanaians themselves go to the restaurant which I found strange.
    I myself order 'doro wot and tibs with injera' or 'kitfo' when I go there. The food comes about twenty mintutes after I order.I always find myself thinking why Ethiopian food wasn't more famous: it was absolutely delicious. I washed it all down with a bottle of Guinness.
    The restaurant also sells Ethiopian clothes and Ethiopian coffee (of which I had some, it was very strong).
    on a scale of 1-10 i would rate the restaurant 8 because even though of its excellent décor and food I think it could be even better. But anyway I would recommend this restaurant for anyone in Ghana.

Favorite Dish: It is an excellent dish called doro wot. A chicken stew served on a spongy pancake like bread called injera. It also has boiled egg and a piece of chicken inm it . You tear some of the injera and you dip it in the stew and eat it. It is an experience to remember.

• flynboxes's Profile Photo

Frankie's: Expat heaven

by flynboxes Written Apr 4, 2010

While a bit over priced this place is popular with the local expat population and the middle class locals. A/C works and plenty of TVs on the wall to watch your favorite match.

Favorite Dish: Not that expensive but not that cheap compared to other places. They have a little bit over everything including beer. Service here is a bit faster than most places in the city. If you are trying to get your CI visa then swing by here if you need to cool off.

• flynboxes's Profile Photo

White Bell: Cool evenings

by flynboxes Written Apr 4, 2010

Restaurant is upstairs. Service is typical local slow but friendly. Had brekfast here and dinner one night. Tried ground nut soup here which both Kim and I liked (or was it the 5 beers that made it taste so good?) There was never more than a couple of people when we were here.

Favorite Dish: There was an American in here having breakfast and meeting with some local attys prior to a court appearance or other legal issue and had to ask the staff to turn down the stereo that was blasting at 10 in the morning so he could talk shop.
    Had the chicken and jollof of rice which filled me up for dinner.

• doggy-dog's Profile Photo

odo rice...: if your in accra DONT MISS.......

by doggy-dog Written May 20, 2009

get your taxi to bring you to ODO RICE in ASYLUM DOWN
    and tell them to wait while you get your food...(should take 5 minutes...)
    then get back in your cab and go home and eat..

Favorite Dish: JOLLOF and chicken and plantaines...yummmmmmmmm

• grets's Profile Photo

Zara's Restuarnt: Good food but questionable service

by grets Updated Jan 8, 2007

Red red chicken

The menu has a vast selection of Chinese, International and Ghanaian dishes, but every time we ate there, at least one of the dishes were unavailable. The food itself was very good indeed, but often arrived ten minutes or more apart. Once, David had finished his and was half way through his dessert before my main course arrived. The service was not only slow, but also rather surly at times.

There was a buffet most evening, but as neither of us either very keen on buffets, nor big eaters, we decided to order a la carte.

Favorite Dish: Picture one shows red red chicken which is a sauce of black eye peas with gari (course cassava flour) and chicken, served with plantain fried in red palm oil. It was very, very tasty (there was also additional chilli served in a small dish separately), albeit a little greasy.

Picture two shows fried tilapia with banku – a ‘dumpling’ which is a sour, fermented corn mash which is wrapped in plantain leaves and boiled. It is to be eaten with your hands (right hand only). It was served with an extremely spicy salsa-like fresh sauce.

Picture three shows a very spicy pepper soup with goat meat. Although very tasty, I found it hard to separate the goat meat from the bones. I tried with the spoon, a knife and fork, my hands and my teeth, but only managed to free a little.

Picture four shows kelewele, a side dish of spicy fried plantain. Very nice.

• Pieter11's Profile Photo

Au Grand Ecuyer: Au Grand Ecuyer

by Pieter11 Written Jan 4, 2007

Au Grand Ecuyer

At the Ring Road East, directly opposite of the UN Headquarters in Ghana, you will find the small French restaurant Au Grand Ecuyer. It is a nice place with a roofed terrace and a cosy interior and surprisingly decent personnel: something you rarely see in Ghana.

The menu is not really as French as the name of the place suggests. You can get some really nice dishes with French names, but it is not realistic to call them typically French. But nevertheless the food is very, very good here. Their chicken khebab, the fried rice, their fish dishes and especially the fishermans soup are very good.

The prices are quite expensive compared to other restaurants in Accra, but for that money you get excellent food, a nice atmosphere and very good service. For a maindish you pay about 70.000 cedis or $ 7,-.

• Pieter11's Profile Photo

Venus Restaurant: Venus Restaurant

by Pieter11 Written Jan 4, 2007

Having dinner at Venus Restaurant

In the area of Osu, very close to Danquah Circle, you can have a very nice meal at Venus Restaurant. The place is based in street that goes from Cantonments Road to the American Embassy and the Salvation Army Guesthouse.

At Venus Restaurant you enter a very nicely decorated place with a roof and chairs made of bamboo and tables made of tree brenches. The lights at night are colourful and the music is pleasant.

On the menu you find a lot of international dishes like a wrap with shoarma (veeery nice!), pizza's, but also indian food and french fries. Another specialty are the cocktails you can order here.

The prices are about average for Ghanaian standards: about 50.000 cedis ($ 5,-) for a normal maindish.

Instant Answers: Accra

Comments

Accra Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Accra restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Accra sightseeing.