Lake Bosumtwi Travel Guide

Lake Bosumtwi

Lake Bosumtwi Things to Do

by grets Written Jan 14, 2007

Many people, local as well as foreigners, come to the lake to take a boat trip. Tourism began to Lake Bosumtwe way back in 1915 and these days there are quite a few boat operators as well little guesthouses, bars, restaurants and shops on the shore. See Tourist Traps for my own experience and opinion of the boat trip.

Noah negotiating with the boat operator Us on the boat
    • National/State Park

Lake Bosumtwi Restaurants

• by Derwish1 Written Jul 18, 2007

n our Rainbow Garden Restaurant African and European meals are available almost around the clock. Enjoy your meal under the "Rainbow Summer Hut" or directly on the beach. And when the hot African sun makes the sand burn you can enjoy a cool soft drink, fresh juices or exotic cocktails at the Rainbow Bar.

Favorite Dish: All Ghanian and many international Menus

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • Photography

Lake Bosumtwi Shopping

by grets Written Jan 14, 2007

There are a few stalls/shacks along from the jetty, selling various items. We didn’t actually go over to them, but the salesman came to us, so there was no need. The ground rules here is bargaining, as elsewhere in Ghana. We bought a very nice mask at an agreeable price. Other items we saw were paintings and cloths.

Lake Bosumtwi Local Customs

by grets Written Jan 14, 2007

We were told about the magnetic pull of the lake by the guide who took us out in the boat, but it wasn’t until I got home and did some research on the matter that I realized the importance of this information. Aero magnetic surveys have discovered a negative anomaly about 5km long with a subsidiary positive anomaly to the north creating a peak to peak amplitude of 50nT. These technical date mean very little to me, but what I do understand is that the drilling project currently undertaken as a result will bring many positive benefits to Ghana and the world: understanding the natural environment, improving the ability to predict future climate change, the understanding of global climate dynamics as well as the formation and effects on craters. Increased tourism will no doubt follow and education of Ghanaian technicians, researchers and students.

by grets Written Jan 14, 2007

The main fish in the lake is the tilapia, but akabre, apatefufuo and akomfoo fish can also be found. Most villagers around the lake derive an income from fishing, although there is some subsistence farming. There are many small villages around the lake, and although some lakeside tourist resorts have sprung up, the main activity in the area is still fishing. The main fishing season lasts from August until December, with a peak in September. There is a scheme in place to encourage the fishermen to use nets with looser weave in order to avoid trapping the smaller fish in the lake. The fish is either sold in the markets by the womenfolk or bartered with other villagers for other foodstuffs.

by grets Written Jan 14, 2007

Traditionally motor boats were not allowed on the lake, for fear of upsetting the gods. Most local people still use the Padua, a small canoe made from a hollowed out tree trunk, which they paddle by hand.

Tourists, however, use motorized boats, but we allegedly pay an additional sum for a goat to be sacrificed to appease the gods. I felt uncomfortable about knowing that, and if I had been told about the goat before I took the trip, I probably would not have gone.

Lake Bosumtwi Tourist Traps

by grets Written Jan 14, 2007

I must confess that the boat trip on the lake was NOT one of the highlights of my trip, and I thought the time to get to the lake, the boat trip and the journey back to Kumasi, could have been better spent seeing something more interesting. There is very little to see on the lake itself (a few birds and some fishermen) and the lakeshore is not brimming with activity either. I know the sacred lake is part of Ashanti culture, but I would not go out of my way to see it.

Instant Answers: Lake Bosumtwi

Comments

Lake Bosumtwi Travel Guide
Map of Lake Bosumtwi