Places to eat in Ghana

by GirishL
  • Restaurants
    by GirishL
  • Elmina Castle from Coconut Grove Bridge Restaurant
    Elmina Castle from Coconut Grove Bridge...
    by lotharscheer

Most Viewed Restaurants in Ghana

WOK INN: CHINESE AT ACCRA AIRPORT

by DAO Written Oct 8, 2012

I first saw the Wok Inn as I came out of the airport with my bags looking for a taxi or other ground transport. I was a little surprised to see this eating establishment since it is essentially a sit down restaurant at the major exit of a large airport. I did notice it looked busy though. I did manage to finally 'Wok Inn' to this fine little establishment my last night in Accra. I had a night flight and arrived early. I was a little bit hungry and walked outside after checking my bags in. The lone staff member behind the counter was very nice and quickly organised my cold Star beer and took my order of Garlic Chicken. I heard him speak to the man in the kitchen and I could hear a wok going into action.

A few minutes later I had a lovely garlic chicken, and boiled rice. It tasted great. The dish itself was spicy both in flavour and just a slight bit of temperature. There was added hot sauce for those of you wanting a lot of heat. The chicken was fresh, the onions and peppers were full of flavour and the garlic just right. My meal was 15 Cedi (about $6 or 4 Euro).

I have to say this is actually a great little restaurant and 100 times better than any other food in the airport. Either before or after security.

So at Accra International Airport - get in here! The best food is here.

WOK INN - AT ACCRA AIRPORT
    • Beer Tasting
    • Singles

• DAO's Profile Photo

CASA DIVA: WOW! GUINEA FOWL !

by DAO Updated Oct 8, 2012

When I first walked into Casa Diva for lunch, I was greeted warmly and a nice table was arranged for me. The first thing I noticed was how wonderful the décor was. The second thing I noticed was the owner, a wonderful lady named Fauziya, speaking on the phone with one of her suppliers. She was telling them that the Guinea Fowls they had been providing were too small and that they would not be using them again. That’s when I realised I was about to dine in a classy place that takes its food, atmosphere and customers seriously. My cold beer arrived swiftly and my chicken pizza was one of the best pizzas I have ever had.

Fauziya checked several times to make sure my service from her staff and my food was all in order. She then invited me to come back in the evening for their roast Guinea Fowl. How could I resist?

I didn’t.

When I arrived in the evening I saw the outside grill man making takeaway kebabs for passing customers and that looked very good. When I went inside I watched the staff at work. Wow. I was greeted warmly by a waited I had not met before. I was shown to a waiting table, small snacks appeared instantly and my drink order was taken. Only then was I given a menu to look at. Whilst I looked over the menu and waited for my beer – I saw Fauziya and here husband Larry greeting every customer. They were everywhere insuring customers were happy, that the staff were doing everything possible and that everyone was enjoying their evening. My cold beer was produced and I ordered the Guinea Fowl of course! When I went to wash my hands, I came back to find one of Casa Diva’s signature services. My beer coaster was placed on top of my beer to keep things out. Not that you ever have to worry in a restaurant that is hospital clean. Although a fly might get in here.

Fauziya saw me and came over and welcomed me back. She is a really nice lady and she spoke to me for a while. She is from the north of Ghana and she wants to make Casa Diva a fantastic restaurant where customers will love to dine again and again. Job well done Fauziya!

My waiter came to take me to my table a few minutes later and get me another beer of course. Then they brought me an absolutely huge plate of wonderful food. Delicious Guinea Fowl grilled to perfection mixed with onions and peppers. It was served with delicious spicy rice and a fresh salad. It was spicy, but in a tasty and not hot temperature wise. There was a small dish of very hot sauce served on the side so you can raise the temperature if you want to.

This is one of the best meals and restaurants in Africa. Just a totally great experience. If you only have one night in Accra Ghana – tell the taxi to bring you here.

Larry even offered to drive me back to my hotel as I was a Tourist and had been drinking beer. They are just awesome people and the staff they employee are great as well.

Favorite Dish:
    Roast (and grilled) Guinea Fowl with some ice cold Star beers, and the free snacks they bring you. Also great pizzas.

CASA DIVA CASA DIVA - GUINEA FOWL

• DAO's Profile Photo

SCUM !: HOTEL PALOMA "PATAASE RESTAURANT"

by DAO Updated Oct 8, 2012

It is not just the staff who are scum. The food is s.hit as well. The ''The Pataase” is a nice looking restaurant owned by a hotel chain I will never use now. It has a nice outside, covered dinning area that should be ideal for a romantic meal or just a few beers. Service was slow and ignorant. Having said that, if you are systematically ripping off customers- who gives a damn really? I ordered some sort of kebab starter and was presented - after asking if they had forgotten my food - with some diseased chicken chunks so deep fried that I almost broke a tooth. It was so hard I could not break off a small piece to feed one of the cats (pictured). I then ordered a dish, well tried to. Palava sauce with goat and yam. When I asked how the yam was prepared, I was hissed at by the waitress. Nice. It was ok. Not sure if the advertised meat was in it, but ok.

So then the bill after chasing staff for everything. And it didn't add up. Too much actually.

My bill had a large charge for carrot juice. I mean some very expensive carrot juice! I kept thinking this was a deliberate overcharge. Then I looked at my guidebook and it mentioned 'odd items appearing on the bill'. You think service is slow and bizarre here? Ask them to take the carrot juice off!

So if you want over-price, bad food, injure your dental work, have staff steal your money - and - talk to you like a jackass..... eat here.

Favorite Dish:
    Nothing.

CRAP !
    • Beer Tasting

• lalikes's Profile Photo

Monsoon: Sushi in Accra? Really?

by lalikes Updated Apr 11, 2010

Don't be afraid of sushi in Accra. It's probably the only place to get sushi in West Africa. The restaurant is fantastic. I live in Chicago with excellent sushi joints and I'm quite picky about that. This place almost beats out the best place that I love in Chicago. A gentleman named Steve from New Zealand runs/owns the place. We had heard of the restaurant before going and it meets every expectation. Now if you're on a budget, go for it anyway. From the outside it seems a little stand off-ish but once you go up the stairs, it's a plush experience. The bar is to the right and there are an array of old Hollywood photos with purple and lavender seats. There is a lounge in the back. The dining room is to the left. Steve knows how to work the room and can chat up a storm about anything. The rolls and sashimi are stellar. We had two drinks and food and it was about $100 so bring your cash. Staff is great but there are a lot of servers so you can forget who your waiter is.

Do not come to the restaurant if you look like you've just come off a tro-tro. They are quite particular about that and will be a bit peeved. We saw that happen.

Steve even helped us get a cab home, although the cabbie thought since we were coming from the expensive restaurant, we were rich so we got a bit ripped off. It was our anniversary so it didn't matter at the time.

Favorite Dish: Sashimi salad. Sashimi, particularly the tuna and the rolls.

• lalikes's Profile Photo

Papaye: Go for the chicken

by lalikes Written Apr 10, 2010

Don't be fooled by the yellow and red logo sort of resembling McDonald's and also a fast food joint, which it is. BUT, the chargrilled chicken is fantastic. I heard of the hype and thought, okay, we'll see but YUMMM-MEE. For about $6 U.S. you can get a quarter chicken that is seasoned better than they do in Jamaica (think jerk chicken), with chips (fries) and coleslaw. The restaurant is two levels and they have take away (carry out). The outfits the gals wear are a sad case but the service is prompt, courteous and on spot. I do have to say that we drove by the place a couple of times thinking...uhh, no, because it looked so fast food-y but go there. It's worth it. A friend of mine from Tema took us there as she was so excited to revisit it living far from it.

Favorite Dish: Charcoaled chicken and the slaw. You can't really mess up french fries.

Inside the restaurant Restaurant from the outside

• IoannaE's Profile Photo

Asanka Locals: My favourite chop bar

by IoannaE Updated Jul 25, 2008

Asanka Locals is a hall-sized restaurant specialising in Ghanaian food. Go on a Sunday when lots of local people come in their Sunday best and enjoy the live music.

Favorite Dish: Omo Tuo: pounded rice in groundnut soup with scrumptious mutton or fish, only available on Sunday. But everything else I've tried there (banku okro, red-red, fufu) is also good.

Asanka Locals

• IoannaE's Profile Photo

Street stalls: Kele-wele

by IoannaE Updated Jul 24, 2008

My favourite street food in Ghana was kele-wele. This is plantain fried in palm oil with crushed ginger and chilli pepper, accompanied by crunchy groundnuts. (Make sure it's just out of the pan when you buy it.) Scrumptious!

• emmet7's Profile Photo

Franki's: the Lebanese save the day

by emmet7 Written Aug 24, 2007

good quality sit-down fast food though relatively pricey.

tasty pizzas, sandwiches, salads and Lebanese dishes with good service

I found most other restaurants fairly gross

Favorite Dish: Lebanese grilled chicken or pizza

• bobkey's Profile Photo

Old Bob's Place Restaurant. Accra (Osu): Cooking with love

by bobkey Updated Jul 1, 2007

This is a very special restaurant and a must for travellers to Ghana. After eating there on our 1st night we never had to look for another restaurant. Excellent company every evening.
    Amma Rida a very experienced restauranteur has just opened Old Bob's Place this year in the Osu district of Accra.
    The freshly cooked food is prepared & served to perfection.
    Amma, the proprietor is very accommodating and all her family join in the very friendly atmosphere.
    There is a a friendly bar area for anyone seeking quality friendship with good conversation.
    Beautiful African art by a well known artist decorates the walls in a spotlessly clean restaurant.

Favorite Dish: The prawn & crab dishes are unbelivabley good. all cooked as well as any french or italian restaurant in europe.
    Savoury rice is very tasty and can be eaten on its own. or with home made chilli pickle.
    Fried plantain & red red is a local dish cooked like all dishes with love and care.
    Try the ice cream.

Old Bob's Restaurant Amma entertaining
    • Eco-Tourism

Ghanaian drinks: Fan Ice

by Pieter11 Updated Mar 12, 2007

Other very popular drinks/snacks in Ghana are the products of Fan Milk. This local company is -as far as I know- the only company in the country that produces ice cream products, and it is everywhere in the country!

Fan Milk is famous for its unique way of selling their products: out on the streets with bicycles with a large cooling box on the front. Everywhere in Ghana you'll see these "Fan Milk Men" with their bikes and the horn to pull attention. Whenever you hear this horn, you know that Fan Milk is on its way.

The products that are sold are Fan Ice: a soft ice cream with vanilla taste, Fan Yoghurt: frozen yoghurt with strawberry taste, Fan Choco: frozen chocolate drink and my personal favorite Tampico: frozen fruit drink with mandarine, orange and other fruits. The prices varie between 2.000 and 3.500 cedis: $ 0,20 and $ 0,35.

Products like Tampico are also available in a lot of shops and stalls, sold in bottles, but nothing beats the frozen ones from the Fan Bikes.

Fan Milk The Fan Milk Man Fan Milk

Ghanaian Drinks: Pito

by Pieter11 Written Mar 10, 2007

One drink you really should try when you are in Ghana is Pito. Pito is a locally brewed beer and it is available especially in the North of the country, on markets and at the roadsides.

The smell of the drink is not very nice and it looks pretty disgusting too: somewhere between yellow/orange and brown. The first sip of it even tastes bad, but when you drink more of it (at least for me) it starts to taste pretty good. The beer has a lot of sugar, but it still tastes pretty sour. Pito can be bought by a full liter which really is a lot! But since that only costs 5.000 cedis ($ 0,50) it is worth trying.

The beer has to be drunk out of a calabas, and -the biggest disadvantage- it attracks loads of flies. The calabas, the bottle or the table when you spoil a little bit is covered by flies in no time, so you should cover the drink well all the time.

Pito Drinking Pito in Wa Pito

Ghanaian Drinks: Beers

by Pieter11 Written Mar 10, 2007

Ghana is not a country to drink all kinds of strong alcoholic drinks or wine. It simply isn't there, or it is extremely expensive. But, beer is popular and is available anywhere. There are quite a few locally brewed beers in the country, with Club Beer and Star Beer as the two most populars. The beer normally is served in a big 625 ml. bottle, but there often also is a "small" 330 ml. bottle available too.

My favorite beer definitely was the Star Beer. It is quite a light beer, with 5% of alcohol, and it drinks easily. Another nice alternative is Gordon's Sparks: a sparkling beer that is lemon-flavoured and very refreshing.

But: you have to pay attention. Beer works dehydrating and that can be dangerous in a climate as the Ghanaian climate. You can drink some, but make sure you drink a lot of water too.

Star-Beer Gordon's Spark Having a Star-Beer

• Pieter11's Profile Photo

Ghanaian drinks: Coke, Fanta, Sprite...

by Pieter11 Updated Mar 6, 2007

Like everywhere in the world, the bottles drinks of the Coca Cola company also are the most popular drink in Ghana. Everywhere you can find them, and everywhere you can get them for a ridiculously low price. For a bottle of Coke you pay $ 0,25 in Ghana!

Most of the times the stalls where they sell the drinks, have their own benches where you can sit down to have your drink. That is because all the salesmen want to keep the empty bottles. In these stalls the bottles often are perfectly organised on the shelves: you will never see a Fanta-bottle between the Coke-bottles and you will never see an empty spot.

Besides Coke and Fanta Orange, you can also order Fanta Lemon and Sprite most of the times. Sometimes some Bitter Lemon and Fanta Cocktail, and never expect to find a Diet Coke: no Diets in Ghana...

Coca Cola Extremely cheap Cokes

Ghanaian drinks: Pure water

by Pieter11 Written Mar 6, 2007

There are two ways of buying water in Ghana: the difficult and expensive way, or the cheap and easy way:

- The first way is to look for bottled water, mostly bottled by Voltic. These square bottles are for sale in most stalls at the roadside and in hotel-bars, but: the bottles are (compared to the other option) extremely expensive and it forces you to walk around with a bottle all the time while you are on a trip.

- The second way is much better in my opinion: everywhere (and then I mean EVERYWHERE) there are little sachets being sold that are filled with water. They all contain half a liter and cost about $ 0,05 per sachet. But you have to pay attention to one thing: some of the sachets that are sold clearly are manually filled and tied up with a rubber afterwards. These sachets are called "ice water". The good water (pure water) is put in sealed sachets with a print on it. Most of the times this also is Voltic, but there can be other names on it too. Sometimes the water tastes a bit like chloride, but it is always purified and safe to drink. Just bite off an edge of the sachet and drink it all in once.

One last thing: pay attention to the way you ask it: if you just order pure water, often they will not understand you. If you ask for "pure wottah" it will never be a problem...

Drinking Pure Water

Ghanaian drinks: Drinking

by Pieter11 Updated Mar 6, 2007

Especially in a hot and humid climate as the Ghanaian climate, it is very important to drink a lot. Recommendations vary from at least two liters to at least 3,5 liters of water a day! Than of course, it is very important to know what you can, and what you can't drink safely. And it is very important to know where you can find these safe drinks and what you can expect to pay for it.

And of course it is also nice to know what you can drink besides the necessary water. In Ghana there are enough alternatives to get your liquid-input and to also enjoy it.

The following tips are about drinks in Ghana...

Having a drink

Senya Beraku Hotels
Mole National Park Hotels
62 Reviews - 271 Photos

Instant Answers: Ghana

Comments

Ghana Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Ghana restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ghana sightseeing.
Map of Ghana