Conakry Things to Do

• africateach's Profile Photo

Marine Ball

by africateach Written Feb 14, 2006

Invitation

As an American, you are invited to the 230th anniversary of the Marie Corp. The Marines hold this every year and there is a small fee, but party till the cows come home! Great set up. The marines have their ceremony and then the drinking and dancing begins. They have this buffet that is spread out consisting of everything one could hope for!

Anyone who ponies up the dough can go, but mostly Americans attend. After feasting, cigars come out in droves! All the guys delve into their pouches and pull out the big stogies! I had some fine Cohiba ciagrs that made a huge splash with the Marines cause they cant get them!

You can meet a lot of people there and hang out with friends (like in the photo) to talk about leaving!!! Even the ambassador to the US shows up for a couple of minutes and then lets us alone to get nutty!

At the end of the night (if you can make it) just hop into a taxi and go home, or stay at the hotel for some nigttime reconnoissance HE HE!

• africateach's Profile Photo

Drumming and Dancing

by africateach Written Sep 27, 2005

Dancin and Drummin at the park

To those that wish to come here for the music, I have heard that this park is perfect for that! They have people that come there on the weekends that play and dance! I cannot be totally specific because I am not into that kind of thing, but if you are... check it out.

It is called Jardin 2 Octobre or 2nd of October Park... not a far stretch!!!

• Study Abroad
    • Music
    • Festivals

• Inga78's Profile Photo

Bar hoping

by Inga78 Written Jun 29, 2005

We went out to some bars in Conakry. The first one I remember was the titanic....!!! :-) It had blue neon lights outside and a sign that said Titanic...it seemed like a shaq. Inside there were some people realy nice. They would not sell us singel drinks only a whole bottle of vodka.....not very nice but we were many together so we bought the bottle. After that we went to a disco but in the end the miletary was worried about us and asked us to go home. We were beeing mobbed by prostitudes....realy annoying! We couldn´t dance together with out some ho´s coming and offering services. I guess we might have been rude but when your not used to this sort of thing you may not react right....and by the way what is the right way to react to crazy ho´s??? One might wonder. All in all it was a good night and I was so happy to make it home alive!!!

Instant Answers: Conakry

Comments

Conakry Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Conakry things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Conakry sightseeing.