Bamburi Local Customs

dining room
    kitchen

Most Recent Local Customs in Bamburi

by croisbeauty Written Feb 17, 2015

Performance of acrobatic stunts is demanding and risky job, but these young people simply have no other option for survival.
    In Kenya there is no system of free education, not even in the elementary schools, and scholarship is extremely high. Tuition for public primary school is paid per semester, approximately 8.000 kes (90 euros) for each semester. Good workers wage is approx. 100-150 euros and with such income family can not afford to pay more then one tuition. That's why most of the population has not even basic education. Moreover, a lot of children must stop already started schooling because families can not bear this cost.

Acrobates camp site

by croisbeauty Updated Aug 7, 2013

This small wild camping area is situated in between two hotels, Kahama and Fontana. I found it only by chance, looking for short-cut from my hotel Kahama to Bamburi Beach. This young group of people belongs to Giriama tribe, which is known for its acrobatic skills. They moved here from their village, fighting every day to survive by earning small money in entertaining tourists on the Bamburi Beach, performing acrobatic program. Although poor they were very friendly towards me, offering some small food they had. I gave them 2000 shilling (something more then 20 euros), and it made them extremely happy.
    Life is a b...., for real, I gave them relatively small money and yet for them it was a fortune. They said that I am their friend for a lifetime.

wild way of housing dining room kitchen badroom me and my new Giriama friends

Giriama acrobats

by croisbeauty Written Sep 11, 2008

I met this youngsters only by chance when exploring the environment of Kahama Hotel. They live in a self made camp, cultivating vegetables in order to survive, but their occupation is acrobats. It is small group, two sisters and two brothers and their a bit older friend, all of Giriama origins. Due to a bad and low season there is no job for them so they live in a extreme conditions. Nevertheless, they were very friendly to me offering small food they had for a lunch. In spite of all their spirit is high and full of optimism.
    Later on they performed their acrobatic skill just for me, and it was realy good. I gave them 500 shillings and we became friends for life, as they told me. As their refiki (friend), I was welcome to their camp any time during my stay.

Jomo Kenyatta or Pirathes Beach Resort

by croisbeauty Written Sep 8, 2008

Pirathes is the public beach resort located in Bamburi, right in front of the restaurant with the same name. The water here isn't that shallow as in most of the other beach resorts around Mombasa. The beach resort is usually overcrowded by the locals but not only, many buses from all over Kenya take school kids here for bathing.
    Most of the Kenyans dont know how to swimm, using water just for splashing. Many people use pneumatic tyers even if in the shallow water. I wonder if those few safe guards able to swimm?

Jomo Kenyatta Beach

Bathing in a cloths

by croisbeauty Written Sep 8, 2008

Well, I thought it is habbit in certain religions only but fact is, many people in Kenya do bathing completely dressed. After I've ask they told me it has nothing to do with the religion, some people just cannot afford to buy a swimming costume. Just a minor number practicing it because of their religion.

Instant Answers: Bamburi

Comments

Bamburi Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Bamburi local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bamburi sightseeing.