Mombasa Things to Do

by croisbeauty

Most Recent Things to Do in Mombasa

• Supermarket to end all Supermarkets

by hurghadalady Written Jan 4, 2005

What you don't expect to find just before the Likoni Ferry is the most fantastic supermarket.

Here there is nothing you can't buy. From books to clothes. Everything is available at really good prices.

The hotels don't mind you taking things in, and whilst you may be on all inclusive deals, extra water, coke for that late night nightcap on the balcony is a must.

• Wood Carvers Village

by hurghadalady Written Jan 4, 2005

This village consists entirely of woodcarvers. Here from the lump of wood being earnestly contemplated to 'see' what it will become, you can watch right through to the finished article which is sold in the shop on the grounds.

Every item has a number on it, and those who contributed to it's making get a share of the money.

It is all too easy to overspend here, but with the choices it is difficult to narrow down to just one or two items.

• GerryFM's Profile Photo

Dhow Cruise. Snorkelling and Wasini Island

by GerryFM Updated Nov 14, 2004

On my trip to Mombasa, I enjoyed a fantastic day excursion to a small island off the coast of Kenya.

You depart early morning for the tranquil fishing village of Shimoni close to the Tanzanian border. You travel through lush coconut and cashew plantations and the colourful villages of the Digo People.

At Shimoni you board an authentic motorised Lamu dhow which cruises and sails through an enchanting seascape of islands to the underwater splendours of the Kisite National Park. Here we went snorkelling and marvelled at the incredible variety of marine life in the shallow and warm waters around Kisite Island.

Once we had finished snorkelling we were taken to Wasini Island and enjoyed a sumptuous Swahili-style seafood lunch

After luncj we enjoyed a tour of the traditional Muslim village. before cruising back to the coast.

Traditional Dhow cruise at Mombasa

• TILZ's Profile Photo

SCUBA DIVING , WATER SPORTS, LOTS OF HANDI CRAFTS

by TILZ Written Jul 11, 2004

1. IF U WANT TO ENJOY THE PLEASURE OF BEACH AND HAVE FUN WITH WATER SPORTS LIKE WATER SCOOTER, WIND SURFING , MOTOR BOATS , SCOBA DIVING , SAILING IN SEA, PADDLE BOATS , DEAP SEA FISHING OR ENJOY THE DOLPHIN SHOW GO TO WHITE SAND HOTEL IN BAMBURI BEACH IN MUMBASA. U WILL FIND ONE ITALIAN GUY THERE . BUT DONT EXPECT A DISCOUNT FROM HIM .
    2. MUST SEE FORT JESUS
    3. TUSK IN THE CITY CENTER
    4. AKAMBA HANDI CRAFTS WITH THE CHEAPEST AND EXCELLENT WOODEN HANDI CRAFTS WHOLE OF KENYA.

AKAMBA HANDI CRAFTS

• skatzcatz's Profile Photo

Mombasa Golf Club

by skatzcatz Written Jun 9, 2004

didnt get to play here, however i did take a walk around the course and it seemed to be a good course with very awesome views. I'd play just for the views, and infact offered to play my dad there......

Mombasa Golf Club

UP THE RIVER

by BerniShand Written Feb 6, 2004

after lunch we again boarded the dhow, this time for a trip up river
    it was a lovely afternoon, there were monkeys playing in the trees, and children swimming in the river, we waved and they waved back shouting `Jambo`
    there was an acrobatic display on board, then singing and dancing and we all joined in before sailing back to the Marineland then by bus back to our hotel

acrobats on board

LUNCH TIME

by BerniShand Written Feb 6, 2004

Our included lunch with the marineland visit was delicious, barbequed goat and crocodile with salads, after this we were given a dance display by some Masai tribesmen
    The Masai people are very tall, and in their traditional dances they jump incredibly high, this we were told was to see game at a distance across the flat savannah
    their chants and dancing were very beautiful

DHOW TRIP

by BerniShand Written Feb 6, 2004

We went for a day out to the Marineland park, the first part of our day was a trip out to sea by dhow, hopefully to see dolphins
    the dolphins must have been having a day off because they were nowhere to be seen, but we saw some lovely views of the coastline

THE LIKONI FERRY

by BerniShand Written Feb 6, 2004

`You must get off the bus` said our guide ` you must not be on it when the ferry sinks`

I`ve had better welcomes to countries than this, after an 11 hour flight where the passenger siting next to me had poured coffee all over me I wanted a long cold drink, a cigarette and a swim, but not a swim in the Likoni river
    apparantly if we are on the bus `when` the ferry sinks we are the responsibility of the bus company, but if we are off it the ferry company would be responsible for us
    how comforting
    but what an experience ! the mass of people going down the hill to board was just like the start of a marathon ! how would we all get on ?
    but we always did

taking pictures of the ferry is forbidden....oops!

the famous tusks

by call_me_rhia Written Nov 15, 2003

Mombasa's tusks are the best-known landmark of this city, after the Portuguese Fort Jesus - obviously. They are huge tusk-shaped arches made of aluminum. Apparently they were built to commemorate Queen Elizabeth's visit to the city in 1952. They are not beautiful - but they are surely imposing. If nothing else they serve as a reminder of the fact that still too many elephants are killed simply to have their tusks as a trophy.

mombasa's tusks

the shiva hindu temple

by call_me_rhia Written Nov 15, 2003

There are several Hindu temples in Mombasa: with the oldest one and the newest one being the most interesting. The new one is a linear white-washed building with a tall tower/spire. Very simple in its architecture - and for this reason very pleasant. Inside the temple is not exactly stunning - but the statue garden with its ponds and chapel-like constructions is very peaceful and pleasant. Of all the statues there was one dedicated to Shiva that really moved me: it's in the middle of a little artificial lake, and to walk over the "pathway" to go to it, you need to take off your shoes. Definitely worth a visit

the new hindu temple, the garden

50 mosques

by call_me_rhia Written Nov 15, 2003

Mombasa is a fascinating city of mosques: there are over 50 of them - and the population is of 50000 people.Some are new, some are old - all are beautiful in their own way - most, unfortunately, are closed to non-muslim visitors. It's still interesting to pass by and see their architecture. The best known of all is the Mahdry Mosque - brand new and stunning. However the one on the picture is not it - and I don't even know which one is it - since its name was written only in Arabic. But it's the one of all the mosques I saw that fascinated me most.

my favourite mosque

swaminarayan hindu temple

by call_me_rhia Updated Nov 14, 2003

Mombasa is home of a large Hindu community: mainly rich merchants from India and their families. It was not a surprise therefore to learn that there are several Hindu temples in Mombasa. The surprise came from the beauty of this temple: first of all the brightly decorated door at the entrance of the building - and then the lively prayer hall on the ground floor. A ceremony was going on while we were there: there were chants and food - and only women seemed to attend. Upstairs there's the main prayer hall - and here too the decoarations were bright, beautiful and rich. An attendant was palcing flowers all over and sprinkling them with water. All in all we had the impression of a very lively and happy place to be.

swaminarayan hindu temple

Fort Jesus

by call_me_rhia Written Nov 14, 2003

Fort Jesus is the main tourist attraction of Mombasa: it's a massive fort built by the Portuguese in 1593 to protect their trade route to India and their interests in East Africa. Then it fell into Omani hands, then Portuguese again, then Omani... repeat 9 times and you have the Fort's history and recipe. And the English? Of course they used it, too. When Kenya became an English colony, the fort became their prison.
    Thewre are also a couple of museums inside - and one is particularly interesting as it traces the customs and habits of Kenya from prehistoric times to the present.
    Entrance (2003) is 200 Kenyan shillings

view of fort jesus

Makupa Market

by call_me_rhia Updated Nov 6, 2003

The Makupa Market is the largest market in Mombasa: the old market is inside a large building (the one in the picture) but all around it - along the streets of the surrounding area - there is still the rest of the market. It's located off Mwembe Tayari, which is roughly where the matatu and bus station is. The Makupa Market is a colourful place sellinga wide range of produce: fruit, meat, vegetables... but also khangas, shoes, pots... and anything else.

The Makupa Market

Instant Answers: Mombasa

Comments

Mombasa Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Mombasa things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mombasa sightseeing.