Tsavo National Park East Things to Do

by leffe3

Most Recent Things to Do in Tsavo National Park East

Baboons

Baboons

Baboons have a reputation for being agressive, and it is true that they may attack and kill smaller animals. I have even heard of a lady who had her arm bitten off by a baboon which got in to the van through an open window.

Rock Hyrax

Rock hyrax

With the elephant as the nearest living relative, the rock hyrax really is in a class of its own. They are cute little critters who love sunning themselves on exposed bits of rock. Hence the name. They are quite unafraid and will pose happily for pictures.

Marabou Stork

Marabou stork

Wandering quite fearlessly around the lodge grounds, the storks really set the scene. In Norway, where I grew up, one of the main chocholate producers is called Marabou, with the stork as their logo.

Marabou storks stand up to 1.5m tall and have a bald head and long spindly legs. They have a reputation for being somewhat unsavoury, with their fondness for carrion and their habit of squirting excrement onto their own legs. It is one of the largest flying birds in the world, with a wingspan of nearly three metres

Geckos

Gecko

Everywher in this part of the world there are lots of various types of lizards, geckos and iguanas. David, my husband, is very partial to these cute little reptiles and can spend hours just sitting there wathcing them.

• safardreams's Profile Photo

"CAN YOU SEE THE SECOND LION?"

by safardreams Updated Nov 26, 2004

We were very luck see these LIONS in the rocks. The KENYA WILDLIFE SERVICE
    RANGER with us. Spotted her! Then we spotted the other.No way to get them. Do you see the other LION?? We were
    in the FORBIDDIN ZONE of TSAVO-EAST.
    Had no time to stay and see what they would do. But, they were looking at us!! THE-BEST,
    and ALL TO OURSELFS!!
    SIMBA RULES!!

• safardreams's Profile Photo

ALWAYS CLOSE TO ELEPHANTS!

by safardreams Updated Nov 26, 2004

While on your game drive in TSAVO-EAST,
    you could get lucky to see two ELEPHANTS
    greet each other. I have not been lucky enough to see BIG-BULL ELEPHANTS
    fight yet! Maybe next time!! But I will take charges anytime!!

The not-another-gazelle: the Thomson gazelle

by call_me_rhia Written Dec 25, 2003
    Thomson gazelles

But yes, it's yet another gazelle - and it's possibly shier than the most common gazelle. This herd kept its distance from us, and it was only with zoom or binoculars that we could admire it. Beautiful and elegant - and with horns.. lovely longish horns! After so many gazelles we still managed to be captivated by this charming creature

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

the transvestite: the gerenuk antelope

by call_me_rhia Updated Nov 14, 2003

the Gerenuk

What a nice-looking transvestite: the body is that of an antelope- slender and deer-like, as well as the agility - but the neck is more similar to that of a giraffe: elongated and elegant for munching on the taller bushes. For sure it's a bizarre animal to see - you don't quite know what to make of it. I'm not sure if giraffe antelope is the correct term - or if it's the way local people call it affectionately - but it's the way our guides called it. A VT member, Bwana Brown, suggests that the correct name is Gerenuk.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

the elegant: the maribou stork

by call_me_rhia Updated Nov 14, 2003

The maribou stork

The maribou stork is a strange yet elegant big bird: it kept its back turned to us so that we never managed to see its pinkish face. .. however we were not sorry... its feathers, from the back, look as if he was wearing a monkey-suit: very classy ideed - as if he was heading to a fancy ball within minutes. For sure we admired its sheer elegance - maybe more than the eagle that was standing next to him.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

the elusive one: the water gazelle

by call_me_rhia Updated Nov 4, 2003

water gazelle

The water gazelle is another gracious animal we saw: it's was a lone animal that we came across - and soon after our arrival it went in hiding - so I guess like all gazelles it's a shy creature. The name, we were told, comes from the fact that its chosen habitat is always near some source of water - and very rarely moves far from it. Strangely - maybe - it has a similar colour to water: parts of his skin has a soft blue-ish tone

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

the unimpressive: the guinea fowl

guinea fowls

Unexotic and unimpressive - the guinea fowl - which had often landed on my family's dinner plate as "faraona". Basically it's a chicken-like bird that seems to live everywhere: I did not expect to see it in kenya in the wilderness.. but alas - there it was: a picture had to be taken. Still I was far from impressed: it's not exactly the strange wild animal one would expect to see when doing a safari.

the unexpected: the eagle

the eagle

An eagle: it's for sure an animal I was not expecting to see in Kenya - and yet - not far from a carcass - there she was: the most perfect and peaceful eagle. She stood there looking at us for a while, before spreading her wings and flying off. She looked as majestic as I had imagined her: proud and powerful. Our was a lucky sight: for years I had longed to see it (especially in Alaska), but she never showed herself... here she graced us with her presence. Thanks, beautiful bird.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

the shy one: the gazelle

a shy gazelle

The shyiest animal must be the gazelle: we saw large herds of them repeatedly - actually they were just about everywhere... but as soon as we stopped, off they left - running as fast as they could. To take a decent shot of them proved to be time consuming. However I can see the logic: they are among the weakest animals in the park, and the easist prey to larger meat-eater animals. Their shyness (cleverness!) was very much appreciated - as well as their grace in running

the bulky: the elephant

by call_me_rhia Updated Nov 4, 2003

mother and son

Wonderful elephants: bulky but not clumsy! I really enjoyed seeing them. We came across them about 20 minutes after entering the park: a large-ish herd on our left, and a lone baby on our right. As soon as we stopped the van, the mother of the lone baby started getting protective and defensive: she was ready to charge. However we did not move: her baby crossed the road and joined her - and she simly left with him - possibly scolding him. No harm came from her part: she just wanted to warn us. We liked her protective attitude!

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

the tall one: the giraffe

the giraffe

Of all the animals in the park, it's the giraffe I wanted to see most - and I was lucky: after 10 minutes inside the park it's the first group of animals we spotted. They have 7 neck vertebraes like all other animals but - goodness - they are tall. I loved watching them eating - they way they had to bend down to eat the grass of the bushes and lower trees. Somehow they seemd slightly out of place: so much taller than any tree or animal in sight - but nonetheless I appreciated their beauty and the intricate patterns on their skin.

Instant Answers: Tsavo National Park East

Comments

Tsavo National Park East Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Tsavo National Park East things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tsavo National Park East sightseeing.

View all Tsavo National Park East hotels