Tsavo National Park East Transportation

Most Recent Transportation in Tsavo National Park East

• Myndo's Profile Photo

Road between Mombasa and Tsavo

by Myndo Updated Oct 21, 2013

Update: That road has been improved a lot since the last time we were there. Now (2013) it's really a highway. Not many potholes anymore - but still a lot of traffic ... of which especially the trucks are dangerous. They tend to overtake everywhere - and hope you as the smaller vehicle make way. You better do! Accidents are numerous - mostly because the truck drivers attention is bad - they are behind the wheel for hours and sometimes days without a proper rest.
    This is supposed to be the "Highway", the main road connecting Mombasa and Nairobi.
    Actually I am glad sure we only had to take it once, on our way to the Tsavo National Park. It is the same road that separates Tsavo east and Tsavo west.

Half of it (the one beginning from Mombasa, close to the Airport) about 50 km the road can hardly be called a road, not to speak of highway.
    It is covered from side to side by holes, some as deep as 15 cm and more and wide. You will have to swerve around trucks that got stuck with brocken axis, flat tires etc, and of course avoid being hit by the mad speeding mini bus drivers. The mini busses are the local form of transportation - next to walking of course, if you can?t afford a car yourself (which of course most can?t).

After these 50 km?s (it took us about 2 hours to get there), the road suddenly changes. From there on it is maybe one of the best maintained roads in Kenya. Well paved, not a single hole.

Road from Mombasa to Tsavo
    • Safari

• grets's Profile Photo

Safari vehicles

by grets Written Dec 19, 2004

Most safaris take place is purpose built safari vehicles such as this one, where the roof lifts off to allow for better viewing. Some companies offer Guaranteed Window Seat, whereas others cram the bus completely full. Check that out before you book!

Safari bus
    • Safari
    • Birdwatching
    • National/State Park

• safardreams's Profile Photo

by safardreams Updated Nov 21, 2004

Like I always say! YOU NEED A REAL TRUCK FOR A SAFARI!" This beast I had the same truck in KENYA in 2001. We plan to beat it up again! We know it can take it!
    Leave the MINNI-BUSES to people who don't know any better! Are first stop: VIO GATE,
    TSAVO-EAST! Marcharia, my driver and my guide James getting everything in order for
    our stay!!
    My LAND-ROVER this 2004 trip. Showed signs of wear n tear!

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

know what vehicle will take you round

by call_me_rhia Updated Nov 6, 2003

There are no real roads in Tsavo East National Park: all prk roads are dirt roads. They are in really good condition - actually they are by far the best roads I've seen in Kenya - but... things may change abruptly in case of rain. So before joining a safari make sure you know what vehicle will take you round. In case of rain you'll need a 4 wheel drive or you'll risk getting stuck: a jeep would be your best bet. To be fair I don't think jeeps are too common in this part of Kenya - nearly everyone was travelling there by mini-van - with the exception of some luxury safari agents... but thinking back - a jeep woiuld have been a safer bet. Our safari was a very cheap one - we were just lucky it did not rain

a dirt road in tsavo east

Instant Answers: Tsavo National Park East

Tsavo National Park East Transportation

Reviews and photos of Tsavo National Park East transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tsavo National Park East sightseeing.

View all Tsavo National Park East hotels