Tsavo National Park East Warnings and Dangers

• Myndo's Profile Photo

Bugs

by Myndo Written Jan 1, 2006

Big Bug

There are quite a lot around. During the day you hardly see or hear them- except for the flies, but as soon it gets darker, well....

Especially noisy they are in the Crocodile Camp, where I also found the exemplar you can see in the picture. I have no idea what kind of bug that is. It looked a little cockroach-like, but else I never saw a cockroach in the Camps or in the hotel rooms at the sea (and outside only one, which is few for me, sometimes I feel like a bug-magnet).
    Some of the bugs are real loud. If you are not used to the noises of the bush and sensible with sleeping, take some earplugs with you.

How much bugspray is worth, i don?t know. I found that mosquito repellant (with DEET) will repell Mosquitoes, but not flies or bigger bugs. Something with Permethrin in it should do the job, but I did not try it.

Red dust

by grets Written Dec 19, 2004

Red dirt road

Most of the road is covered with this red dust. Don't wear anything white, as it will be red by the time you get back to the lodge.

Really you should wear as natural colours as possible to avoid scaring away the wildlife.

More dangerous animals

by grets Written Dec 19, 2004

Beware the baboons!

The lodge is not fenced off from the surrounding national park, and therefore wild animals come and go as they please. There are signs up warning you not to feed the baboons, as they can be aggressive. This one seemed friendly enough, and I must confess that we did feed it - even brought it into the restaurant with us! :-)

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

wild animals and so on

by call_me_rhia Updated Nov 14, 2003

an eland's (?) carcass

See the carcass on the left? It was once an animal! AN eland, to be precise (thanks Bwana Brown). OK - it's not that you'll end up like this... however Tsavo East NP - like all other game parks - is not a zoo... there's no fence between you and wildlife and the big predators. It's the beauty of it - and the danger: you should really never step out of your vehicle unless you'd like to become some animal's dinner. And watch out: even tame-looking animals (like the babboons) can become aggressive - so stay put in you van/car/jeep - and be ready to drive off in case of necessity

• safardreams's Profile Photo

ONE OF THE BIG-FIVE!!

by safardreams Updated Nov 12, 2002

Elephants are tricky!! Must give them respect
    and some room! Remember, they were here
    long before man was!! They will charge, they
    could crush, kill, destroy!! They are not to blame!!
    This young female we found near LUGARDS FALLS. We told the KENYA WILDLIFE
    SERVICE about her. They believed thats the
    female that rammed a minni-bus 4/5 days before!
    The RANGERS said the bus driver teased
    the elephant and left himself no way out!
    She didn't look too good. But at least she was still on her feet!! HATE MINNI-BUSES!!

Dangerous animals

by grets Written Dec 18, 2004

I know it is really obvious, but there are still people who don't head this warning:

There are wild animals in this park, please stay in your vehicle at all times!

• safardreams's Profile Photo

BIRD-DROPPINGS!

by safardreams Written Nov 30, 2002

ONLY KIDDING! We're heading out of TSAVO-EAST now. My guide JAMES has a thing for
    BIRDS! So, he always says: please take that
    one. Send it to me!! I do have some BIRD shots I'll be sending soon.

Instant Answers: Tsavo National Park East

Comments

Tsavo National Park East Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Tsavo National Park East warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Tsavo National Park East sightseeing.

View all Tsavo National Park East hotels