Nairobi Restaurants

• Restaurants
    by Myndo

Best Rated Restaurants in Nairobi

• greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Nairobi National Park Restaurant: Grilled Meat and Fried River Fish!

by greekcypriot Updated Jul 21, 2010

The Restaurant at Nairobi National Park

It is located approximately 7 kilometres (4 mi) south of the centre of Nairobi, Kenya's capital city, with only a fence separating the park's wildlife from the metropolis.

Be sure to get a seat under the covered area of the Restaurant because if you get a table in the surround gardens you are not sure if the table is so clean. Baboons visit are often here.
    There is a possibility that you will have a visit of some baboons.
    Be alert and keep your bags in a safe place. They might snatch them.

Favorite Dish: Fresh salads, fried fish, and grilled meat.
    There is a cook next to the grill who is in charge of the grilled meat of the restaurant.
    The smell coming from the grilled spot is great!

Beer in Kenya

by greekcypriot Written Jul 23, 2010

Tusker and White Cap beers (which are brewn in Kenya) are safe, and are available troughout the country. But drink local beers, called muratina, at your own risk. It's good to have some medication with you for stomach problems, etc. As stated above - this is not to say that you shouldn't eat at all in the cheaper restaurants, but always use some common sense.

The Carnivore Restaurant: The Most Popular Restaurant in Nairobi

by greekcypriot Written Jul 25, 2010

It is one of the most popular restaurants that tourists are very fond of.
    Its spectacular meat grilling on half-open fires.
    A great variety of cuisine found here, not only Kenyan.

Favorite Dish: The food is decent, but the price has gone through the roof. Now I know why they do not post the price on their website. Be prepared to spend $35 per person, not including drinks.

The many sauces offered help with the dryness but you really should be a meat-lover to fully enjoy this place.

Haandi Restaurant: Rated 1st in Nairobi

by greekcypriot Written Jul 27, 2010

Indian curry

(The mall Shopping centre, Ring Rd, Westlands Mains Kshs 600-995)

An international award winner widely regarded as the best Indian restaurant in Kenya.

Haandi has sister restaurants in Kampala, London and Middlesex and sells its own souvenir T-Shirts.

The menu reads like a recipe book crossed with a guide to Indian cuisine, and includes a wonderful Mughlai (North Indian) and Tandoori dishes and plenty of vegetarian curries

Favorite Dish: The Tandoori dishes are excellent. I definitely recommend it to people looking for curry and Indian food.

• Homanded's Profile Photo

The Carnivore Restaurant: Exotic game and delicious traditional roasts

by Homanded Written Nov 4, 2006

Main Entrance

We had heard all about the Carnivore Restaurant all the way in the states before arriving into Kenya.
    Hearing about exotic roasts such as Giraffe, Zebra, Wildebeest and the such, we were a combination of put off by the thought of eating these beautiful creatures and the natural curiousity that accompanies talking about what it would be like to try something never made available in the western market.

Imagine our surprise (and relief) when we found out the most exotic game they serve nowadays is farm raised Ostrich meatballs, Cammel & Lamb! Beef, Turkey, Chicken, Fish and other such dishes are also available.

The restaurant, bordering a giant spit full of roasted meats and situated in a building which surrounds a beautiful garden area which is reserved for live music and private parties certainly has it's individual charm and flavor - but you go home smelling like a giant BBQ spit!
    I made it a point to seal my clothes into a Zip-Lock bag at the end of the evening to keep the rest of my wardrobe in my suitcase from smelling like a cook-out.
    The service was also excellent and the whole theme centers around a little white flag on your table.
    As long as that flag is raised, colorful waiters will keep bringing you food - and piling it up on your plate...As much as you want!
    Colorful, flavorful sauces are also set on your table and described as suggested accompanyments for your meal. Mustard sauce with the cammel, Mint sauce with the lamb, etc.

Good luck getting a reservation. Most reservations are only available through major tour operators which block out large portions of the restaurant months in advance.
    2 seatings nightly and twice daily for lunch at designated times. We chose the 7:30pm seating.

Favorite Dish: We loved, loved LOVED the turkey! Most succulent, moist turkey I've ever had!

Ostrich meatballs were a big hit as was the lamb (and I'm not a lamb lover).

Cammel was tough and gamy but the sauce that accompanyied it was delicious.

Potatoes, with all the fixings, as well as seasonal vegetables were also good.

Trattoria: Very nice surprise

by croisbeauty Updated Apr 25, 2012

restaurant Trattoria

It is advisible to take the taxi when hanging around in the evening hours. First, because it is very cheap and second because this guys know where the good restaurants are. I wanted to have some european food and the taxi driver suggested me "Trattoria" which is well know Italian restaurant in Nairobi. The restaurannt itself is situated in not friendly area, especially for the white people, and I was suggested not to pull out my camera. Later in the evening I saw with my own eyes, it was a good suggestion.

Favorite Dish: It is indeed the real Italian restaurant not the fake one. As a first dish I've ordered "spaghetti, aglio, olio e peperoncino", a traditional Italian dish which can proof weather the cook is Italian or not. To tell you the truth, better than this you cannot get even in Italy. The second dish was mixed grillled meat, not that soft but pretty good. My companion and I had a bottle of red Italian wine which was of acdceptable quality. The dinner for two cost me about 2.500 Kshs, which is less than 30 euros.

• Homanded's Profile Photo

Intercontinental 24 hr cafe: Don't miss the late night urge for munchies

by Homanded Written Nov 19, 2006

Have the munchies or desire for a last minute meal after that long flight?
    How about a quick night cap to wash away all the adrenaline rush and excitement of finally having arrived in Kenya?

Intercontinental Hotel, along with it's fine accomodations is able to provide you with excellent service, strong drinks and wonderful varied menu in a late night cafe which is open 24 hours a day!
    Best of all, you are sitting outside the main dance venue which allows you to enjoy music from the comfort of your chair.
    Not so close so that you have to scream at one another yet near enough to tap your feet to the music.

Favorite Dish: Various local dishes, including curries AND, 24hr breakfast served!

Waiters are extremely friendly and willing to offer suggestions. As it was our first night in Kenya, we took them up on ther suggestions and were not dissapointed.
    The Beef sandwhich was delicious and tender.

• husain's Profile Photo

Carnivore: Croc meat and other experiences...

by husain Updated Apr 4, 2011

George and Brian

For someone who is not known for his meat eating preferences, a restaurant caled `Carnivore' wouldnt be first up on a list of priorities.. yet, the enthusiasm of the others on the crew meant that a table was booked, a taxi hired, and we were off... to sample every kind of meat that Africa may be known for...

The restaurant is located in a rather interesting spot, just outside the Nairobi national park. I certainly did wonder if the animals we could have being seeing on our planned safari the next morning, were the ones ending up on our plates:P but i guess it is perfectly legal, since it is a really popular spot in Nairobi, I decided to eat...

There are four choices of wild game, roasted on traditional Maasai swords over a huge charcoal pit near the entrance of the restaurant.
    The waiters carry these swords around the restaurant, carving unlimited amounts of the meats onto your plate.
    Salads, vegetables and a variety of exotic sauces are already at the table, and then there is that little carnivore flag above it all-- you will be served as long as your flag is up!

I think there are a variety of options on the menu, though i`d reccomend the set option- which will get you- soup and appetisers, unlimited servings of meat, dessert, and coffee or tea.

Favorite Dish: The Crocodile was the most exotic meat on the menu that night... i couldnt help trying to drown out the thought that it was a reptile that i was about to eat!
    But it had to be done... how many times do you end up sitting at a restaurant in Africa and being served crocodile?? It seemed hard, there were bones, and i took the tiniest piece there was.

That apart, i had Gazelle, Ostrich, Buffalo, chicken, beef and lamb.

• Work Abroad
    • Business Travel

various: Nyama Choma grill

by croisbeauty Updated Oct 6, 2007

nyama choma by kuku

There are couple of restaurants in the city centre offering traditional Kenyan dishes. Some of them are good and I enjoyed eating there. There is, however, my observation regarding meat which is in some way rigid. Most of the European cuisines practicing previous treatment in order to soften meat, in Kenya they don't.

Favorite Dish: There are at least two dishes one should taste when in Kenya, first one is "ugali" while the second one "nyama choma". Ugali is stiff porridge made by boiling maize or millet meal flour in water and it is ubiquitous in East Africa.
    Nyama (meat, flesh) choma (burn) is what we in Europe call grilled meat or barbecue. Besides by "kuku" (chicken, poultry), which is most often, you can get it by "mbuzi" (goat) or "ng'ombe" (ox, calf, cattle) meat. "Kachumbari" (Kenyan salad) is served along with nyama choma. The best and most delicious to me was nyama choma by poultry.

• Zarasher's Profile Photo

Safari Park Hotel: 5 Course Meal

by Zarasher Updated Jan 12, 2005

Diners at the Nyama Choma Restaurant

The Hotel is Beautiful. They have seven (I think) restaurants on site. I ate at the African Restaurant. They have a 5 course meal for 1500 shillings. The main course is Nyama Choma, which is basically grilled meat. the concept is a bit like a Brazillian Steak House. Waiters come round with unlimited skewers of meat. They had sausages, pork, beef, lamb, crocodile, alligator, chicken... etc.

Whilst you are eating they have a musical theatrical show going called the Safari Cats.
    After the show they have a band playing and they take requests. Whilst I was there all the diners got up and did a dancing chain around the restaurant..

Favorite Dish: I loved all the meat. I had to be rolled out of there!!!

• Casino and Gambling
    • Spa and Resort

Jacaranda: Expensive but nothing special

by croisbeauty Written Sep 8, 2008

grilled fish and potatoes

It was kind of redemption dinner to my good friend Hilda because I missed to meet her during my visit in 2007. Jacaranda was her choice and we spend there quiet and pleasant evening. We were almost the only guests in the huge garden restaurant, enjoying our food, sipping descent white wine and having nice conversation. Missing to meet her last year was my fault so I brought with Cuban cigares in order we smoke "the pipe of peace". Although never smoked before, not even cigaretes, Hilda was brave and did it very good.

Favorite Dish: Jacaranda is among the top quality Kenyan hotels but, as it is usual for the hotels, its restaurant isn't at the same level. We ordered grilled fish, which was pretty good, and white wine which was bellow of an average European quality. The price for the dinner, however, was in accordance with the hotel's rank.

Rangers: The best grilled meat in whole of Kenya

by croisbeauty Written Sep 12, 2008

This is definetely a kind of restaurants I like, perfect location inside the Park, wooden construction and the furniture, great terrace offering view directly to the watering-place, very good service and above all grilled meat in a way it has to be grill.
    The ambience is more than attractive; very quiet, surrounded by the woods, calm and almost idyllic. If dining on the terrace one feels almost like having a pic-nic. The best part, however, comes with the dark. There is watering-place, right in front of the terrace, and it iwas amazing watching big buffalos while drinking water.

Favorite Dish: I was in the company and we ordered mix grill meat for two. It was for the first time, in all my visits to Kenya, that the meat was grilled in a way I like it, almost in a way we do it back home. The meat was soft, well grilled and succulent. We had mango juice for the stsrters and Tusker beer after the food. I can't remember the cost, was something around 20 euros.

• husain's Profile Photo

Carnivore: `A Beast of a Feast'

by husain Updated Apr 4, 2011

Carnivore Menu :

Starters

Salads and side dishes
    (mixed salad, rice salad, kidney beans, corn relish, coleslaw, cucumber raita)
    All with Homemade vegetable vinaigrette

Soup of the day with homemade fresh brown bread

Sauces
    (garlic fruit salsa, Sweet and sour, masala, mint, chilli)
    Charcoal Roasted Meat Dishes
    Selection of charcoal roasted meats which include:

Leg of beef
    Haunch of venison:
    (Zebra, Wildebeest, Buffalo, Oryx, Kongoni, Impala, Thompson Gazelle, Ostrich, Giraffe)
    Leg of pork
    Leg of Lamb
    Pork spare ribs
    (Crocodile - when available)
    Chicken tikka
    Chicken yakitori
    Chicken wings
    Chicken livers and gizzards
    Pork sausages
    Beef sausages

Choice of desserts
    (apple pie, cheese cake, strawberries and ice-creams)
    Kenya coffee

• Business Travel

• thelittlevoice's Profile Photo

Siam Thai Restaurant: Siam Thai Restaurant

by thelittlevoice Written Jan 12, 2005

This has to be the worst Thai food I've ever eaten! I really wanted to have some after a while in Africa. I was very hungry too and usually anything can be delicious when you're hungry but it was not at all. I heard it has a good reputation so I was really disappointed.

Favorite Dish: Nothing

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Talisman: Too expensive for what it offers

by croisbeauty Written Sep 18, 2009

Talisman

Talisman is, at the moment, very in place, especially for those locals who can afford it. No need to tell that majority of the guests, in such a restaurants, are wazungus who live in Nairobi. I visited it only by chance because Talisman is situated in Karen, part of the city I've never been before. Actually, I was invited by my old friend to join her and her friends for a dinner.
    The interriors looks alike to those restaurants we find in Europe, furnished by different styles and times, but then you got impression like something is missing here. To be honest, I didn't like it much.

Favorite Dish: I ordered grilled goat meat because it was supposed to be very soft, so claimed to me the weiter. There are only few places in Nairobi where one can get soft meat, made in European way, but Talisman definatelly isn't one of them. The food wasn't bad but certainly not as good as at Mediteraneo or Trattoria.

Instant Answers: Nairobi

Comments

Nairobi Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Nairobi restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nairobi sightseeing.