Safari, Nairobi

• JimKnopf's Profile Photo

Safari Walk

by JimKnopf Written Mar 3, 2009

I'm not really can suggest the Safari Walk at the Nairobi National Park. If you have not much time you should do it. If you have more time you should go in with car for the other parts of the park. I was visibly disappointed of the Safari Walk. You must have good luck to see all the animals which you see at the signs. And if you see it, you will see mostly only one of them. One thing was very intersting they had 2 albinos of Zebras.
    But for this I can suggest the small Restaurant near the Safari Walk.
    If I ever get the chance to go there, I'll make a game drive there. Is already in the plan of my list, and I'm sure this is a good idea. You should do it also.

• Safari

• georeiser's Profile Photo

by georeiser Written Sep 30, 2009

Nairobi Safari Park

The Nairobi Safari Walk is inside a park located 7 km from Nairobi city. It's a nice recreation facility with a protected game reserve. You can see the most common animals in Africa, but they are behind glass or fences.

• Adventure Travel

• boltonian's Profile Photo

Safari in the City

by boltonian Written Aug 10, 2010

If you are short on time (or money) and do not wish to do a full safari, then Nairobi has its own small version right by the actual city.

You can see a large number of animals, though some said this was more like a UK safari Park in scale than a real wilderness such as the Massai Mara.

• vanessamumbai's Profile Photo

Safari Walk

by vanessamumbai Written May 27, 2014

We decided to skip the Game Drive as it was rather expensive (USD50 per adult + KES7000 to rent the Land Cruiser with driver and Guide). Initially I wanted to share the vehicle in order to split the cost, but I had to look for people to share myself. And a Game Drive would probably not be appreciated by our 2 year old, so we decided to just go for the Safari Walk.

The entrance fee was quite high (KES2500 per adult, compared to KES1500 at the Giraffe Centre, and KES500 at the Elephant Orphanage), but I guess it does cost a lot to maintain the safari animals in suitable habitats. The animals were mostly active and it was worth a visit. We saw the big 4 at close range, and only the Rhino was sleeping. We could see the animals closer than when we went for Game Drives in SA. This was our 2 year old's 1st zoo experience and she enjoyed seeing the animals roaming in their enclosures.

We would highly recommend the guide we had, George Aked. He was informative, and helped us sight the distant or sleeping animals which we would otherwise have missed. He was also able to get the roaming ones to come near to us. We have never seen the Cheetah or the Lion so close before. (A big plus - George takes good photos, and our toddler took to him super well.) You can reach him at +254 727 292226 or george.aked@yahoo.com.

• grets's Profile Photo

Walking safari

by grets Written Dec 21, 2004

Walking safari

One of the most amazing things on our walking safari was coming across this giraffe. We rounded a corner, and there was this enormous animal, grazing just a few yards from us. Really magical.

• Safari