Kimana Local Customs

Most Recent Local Customs in Kimana

Hemingway Museum

by croisbeauty Updated Jul 12, 2007

We stopped for a break in a shadow of on huge tree, which happens to be the open air museum. Besides the skeletons of a big fives, there was a forester who escorted one family in wlaking tour throughout the game reserve. Didin't know it is possible, otherwise would like to do it myself because it is definetely the best way for exploring the savannah.
    The forester was well educated guy who told us amazing and most interesting facts and stories about the savannah and its animals. Hippo is the most dangerous animal of the savannah, buffalo is next one than it is elephant and lion only on a fourth place. It was enjoyable hour and one of the most interesting encounter I had during my stay in Kenya.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

First thing first in the morning

by croisbeauty Updated Jul 6, 2007

This is very funny pic, unfortunatelly not perfectly clear because I took it under the first day light from the top of safari minibus in riding. Tembo (elephant), is doing the very same thing men do after waking up. What was even more funny to me, the elephant went aside of a group, lol.

Guarded by Maasais

by croisbeauty Written Jun 24, 2007

I saw this guy, dressed in the traditional Maasais colours, as soon as we entered into the lodge area. He was strolling around armed with the spear and wooden mace. When I asked him to stop and pose me, he did it gladly but never saying a word.
    After dinner we stayed in the bar sipping white wine, which wasn't bad at all. It was time to go to bed early, expecting to watch sunrising the next morning. There was pretty much dark outside the bar and the paths were barely visible but, all the sudden, the lamp light illuminated our way. My Maasai friends walked us straight to the bungalow, wishing us good night and disappearing in the dark. We were surprised because they wanished before we could thanking them.
    The next morning, about 4:30 AM, it was still dark outside but again the Maasai guys were there helping us to find the way to the restaurant. After, when we get back to the camp, I met them again and we took this pics. The fact is, they are not employed in the lodge, all they do, they do it as a good hosts considering the lodge and the whole game reserve to be the Maasais territory. They were too proud to ask for money directly, although they needed it, maybe even more than the other Kenyans. The fact which I learned during my stay in Kenya is, Maasais are "trade-mark" of the country, their pictures can be seen all around and yet, they are they are the most discriminated tribe of Kenya.

• Krumel's Profile Photo

Maasai

by Krumel Written Apr 15, 2004

Oloitokitok is deep in Maasai land, and the local population, especially the warriors, are spectacular sights. The moran are always decked out with all their jewellery, braids and coloured long hair. I was a bit surprised, though, to see one of them operating a JCB on a building site in this outfit!

One evening a group of Maasai dancers performed at the Kibo hotel, and being a longterm resident at the Kibo I got preferential treatment. When all the other tourists had left they fitted me out in full Maasai regalia (complete with sandals made from tyres), and the women made me dance with them while the men were singing. But when I was told that I amnow an eligible Maasai bride it was high time for a hasty retreat...

Instant Answers: Kimana

Comments

Kimana Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Kimana local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kimana sightseeing.