Kimana Things to Do

Most Recent Things to Do in Kimana

Zebra

by croisbeauty Updated Sep 24, 2007

This cute but timid, white & black stripped animal can be seen everywhere around the game reserve, it is persistently following herds of gnus because of their ability to find fresh pasture. Again and again I am amazed by the mother nature and the balance it preserves. Such a huge number of zebras are created in order to secure enough food for predators and yet, many of them still survive......

- continuing ....

by croisbeauty Written Jun 28, 2007

I knew giraffe is tall animal but had no idea she is that amazingly tall, dominating whole landscape like city skycrapers. My guide told me many facts about it which I never heard. Giraffe never sleeps, she just close her eyes for a few minutes during the day. She never drink a water, taking it from the leafs most of the time. If very dry season giraffe is forced to look for a water, drinking it out of the springs or rivers. In such a cases, she kneeling down shortly taking two or three gulps only because it is the only moment when lions can attack her. Most amazing is that giraffes do not make any sounds, they communicate by eyes only. If baby giraffe needs milk, she looks at her mothers eyes, that is the way her mother says yes do it.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

First tour of the game reserve

by croisbeauty Written Jun 28, 2007

Our first tour started immidiate after lunch and we were all very excited. I felt like a small boy after getting favourite toy, it was the real start of my African adventure hoping not to be the last one. There were only six of us in matatu and we had plenty of room to take the pictures out of its open roof. Cannot be sure but I made probably more than hundred snaps in first half of hour. What I saw at that stage was just an amazing experience.

Sunrising

by croisbeauty Updated Jun 24, 2007

Sunrising at Kimana looks spectacular, breath-taking, fabulous..., something I'll never forget! It starts with the poor light, yellow in colour, changing to to blue very slowly. After few minutes the sky is coloured completely in yellow and it looks just amazing, never before have seen such a colours of the sky.
    Sunrise about six in the morning, no metter if summer of winter time, and the daylight is pretty short here, much shorter than in Europe.

Giraffe

by croisbeauty Updated Aug 31, 2006

When I saw them for the first time my impression was, they look alike to skyscrapers. One thing is for sure, you cannot miss giraffe in savannah first because of their height and second because of the colours of their skin which makes them visible from a far distance.
    Did you know that giraffes never sleeps, most of the time they eat or ruminate. They never drink a water either or they do it in very rare occasions. It is because of their constitution which put them in life danger when drinking water. If drinking water they have to get down on their knees and that is the only moment when lions can attact them. Giraffe don't makes any sound, they communicate by eyes only. All this things I have learned from our guide. Giraffe is realy amazing animal.

Tembo

by croisbeauty Written Aug 23, 2006

I was very lucky because an huge elephant pack, consists of more than forty animals, have obstruct the road on our way back to the camp. Some of this gigantic animals stood no far than three or four meters from our car and I had enough time to snap lots of fantastic pics. After five minutes, our driver became very concerned because some of the elephants started to move ears, which is clear sign of their agitation. When he started to move the car, one of the elephants blocked possible side passage and he had to stop. Although scared, it was very exiting experiance. After a while, the elephant let us to turn the car.

The dawn

by croisbeauty Written Aug 21, 2006

down in the savannah

The dawn in the savannah looks spectacular and very colourful. Never before I saw such a beautiful colours. There were seven people in our matata (car) but we were speechless looking at the beauty of the nature all around. My pictures can tell more than my words, enjoy them.

More sunrising

by croisbeauty Written Aug 21, 2006

sunrising in savannah

The first light of the day is pretty dark but still you can see alot of animals in their first activities. Elephant sleeps very shortly, no more than two hours, antilopes are very vivacious runing all around and it's impossible to take them with the camera, while zebra and gnu stands or lie waiting the dawn to come.

Instant Answers: Kimana

Comments

Kimana Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Kimana things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kimana sightseeing.