Maralal Off The Beaten Path

entrance to village of the blacksmith

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Maralal

Wonderful necklaces

wonderful necklaces

The women of the compounds around the one of mama came to show and sell us their wonderful necklaces, made of thousands of colourful beads. On the market and in the shops in Maralal we saw millions of beads for sale.

The necklaces, telling in Samburu traditions something about your marital state, were really pieces of art. Also I distinguished some different styles. I couldn't resist and bought some, three for 2000 shilling.

Look at the very long earring of the women at the picture. For more pictures, have a look at my travelogue "Samburu women''.

• sachara's Profile Photo

Mama, lady of the compound

Mama

Mama, the 70 years old lady of the compound, was very friendly and eager to show and tell us a lot. We were lucky to be in her compound with Idi, our Samburu guide, translating and explaining everything in English.

On the picture she is showing us how to wear a long metal ''earring'', though we didn't understand the purpose of it very well, if there is any ....

• sachara's Profile Photo

Village of the blacksmith, fence

fence

The huts in the traditional Samburu villages and compounds around Maralal are made of wood and earth, the natural materials from the area.

To keep the wild animals out and the own cattle in you see wooden fences in the villages. In the village of the blacksmith we saw this traditional wooden fence with parts of modern ''catchrails'' like you see along the highroads. Very peculiar to see it here, a place which you can only reach by narrow walking paths. It's a nice example of re-using everything possible, like making sandals of used tyres.

• sachara's Profile Photo

Visit to one of the huts

village huts

In the village of the blacksmith mama invited us to have a look in her hut. We had to bow to enter the door. The interior was very small and basic. There was also a cooking place inside, so it was rather smoky.

From my first visit to Africa in 1980 the smell of this smoke is for me the smell of Africa. When I'm back home and open my travelbag, I feel the temptation to wait a while to wash my clothes and sleepingbag, to keep the African flavour and feeling for a while.

Now I have the solution by having a little wooden chest for teaglasses at home, still having that smoky smell.

Our guide Idi, introducing us to Mama

Mama and Idi

After entering the compound of the blacksmith, Idi our Samburu guide introduced us to mama, the 70 years old lady of the compound. We were friendly welcomed by her and the other Samburu women around.

They were all wearing colourful clothes and necklaces, especially in the bright red and blue colours. Some of the women were wearing very long earrings, much longer than the long ones I'm used to wear.

• sachara's Profile Photo

Visit to the village of the blacksmith

entrance to village of the blacksmith

From the Yare Safari Maralal Lodge we made a walk of a few hours. Idi, our Samburu guide, told us a lot about the area, the flora and fauna, the Samburu traditions and culture. So he brought to the village of the blacksmith.

Unfortunately the blacksmith himself was not there. So he couldn't show us how to make the traditional spears and bracelets. But anyway we were welcome to visit his village.

Instant Answers: Maralal

Comments

Maralal Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Maralal off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Maralal sightseeing.