Benghazi Transportation

Square in front of the airport
    Arrivals
    Chaos at the check in

Most Recent Transportation in Benghazi

• sachara's Profile Photo

From and to Tripoli by plane

by sachara Updated Feb 7, 2010

We came from Tripoli to Benghazi by plane, a fokker. It was a comfortable morning flight of less than one hour. Benina International Airport is a small airport. All went in time and smoothly. The airport is about 20 km out of town.

On the way back everything was totally different. The flight should be at 10 pm. When we arrived at the airport it was very crowded and no flights. The day before 100 French people came back in the hotel, because there as no scheduled flight. I suppose all due to the many visitors who came to the total solar eclipse south of Benghazi.

First it was said that our flight would come at 10.30 pm, but finally we got the message there would come a bigger plane from Cairo at 11.30 pm to bring us back to Tripoli. There was complete chaos at the counters. No lines. It looked like everybody fighted to get this flight. We tried to get our luggage at the counter in a line. Our driver, tourist guide and the tourist policeman tried to check that all our luggage get checked in and labelled.

Luckily we had to check if our luggage was at the platform before we entered the plane, so we were sure the luggage was with us. In the dark and chaos at the platform I fell over some iron pole of a cart, so I injured my knee and hand. With painkillers I survived the flight.

Arrivals Square in front of the airport Chaos at the check in Chaos at the check in

• iwys's Profile Photo

Buraq Air

by iwys Updated May 1, 2007

Buraq Air, founded in 2000, is Libya's first private airline. I flew Buraq Air from Tripoli to Benghazi and back. Based on my experience, I would highly recommend this small, but modern and efficient, airline. I must admit I was a bit apprehensive as I had never heard of Buraq Air before and expected ageing planes and flight delays. But, what I got was a modern airline using Boeing 737-800s and flights that were punctual to the exact second.

There are 3 or 4 flights daily between Libya's two main cities. The flight from Tripoli usually takes less than an hour while the flight from Benghazi takes just over an hour. This slight difference is because of the prevailing westerly winds.

Domestic check-in at Benghazi's Benina International Airport is quick and easy. They are generous about hand baggage, so if you have two pieces of hand baggage, including a tennis bag, for example, you can keep it with you, no problem.

In-flight they serve coffee, tea or a soft drink with a slice of cake. Try to get a window seat as the clear air in Libya gives you excellent views of the Tripoli and Benghazi areas.

The daily flight schedule from Tripoli to Benghazi is:

Tripoli 19:00

UZ0008
    Benghazi 21:15
    Tripoli 22:30

Tickets cost 60 LD one way/ 120 LD return.

• Business Travel
    • Work Abroad

Arab Union Bus Station.

by marenloo Written Oct 13, 2003

You can get to Benghazi from any Libyan city or even from any ajacent country by two-storey , air-conditioned and comfortable buses with TV .
    The prises are alittle bit more cost than the other sorts of public transportation, but not expensive.

Beninah Airport

by marenloo Written Oct 13, 2003

You can get to Benghazi from any other place in Libya or abroad by means of airplane.
    Beninah airport is the main airport of Benghazi. Just 20 k.m. from the city center.
    You can get to the city from the airport by shared buses for one dianr or by taxi for 10 dinars.
    You have the choice.

• Business Travel

Rent a car!

by marenloo Updated Oct 13, 2003

It's better to rent a car or use a taxi where the public transportation is not so comfortable.
    Of course if you don't share a travel group.

Albaladiya square.

Instant Answers: Benghazi

Comments

Benghazi Transportation

Reviews and photos of Benghazi transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Benghazi sightseeing.