Malaza Warnings and Dangers

A 4wd for this 1'-ride in rainy summers
    by Norali
  • Was not afraid. No wonder, I was at the other bank
    Was not afraid. No wonder, I was at the...
    by Norali

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Malaza

• Norali's Profile Photo

Just a warning about a local feature

by Norali Updated May 21, 2005

A 4wd for this 1'-ride in rainy summers

Let's put it that way: Malaza wouldn't be the same without those potholes. Oxcarts are accountable for the conditions of this section, the last one leading to my house (see picture).

It used to be so every summer: it's customary to find a car stuck in the mud during a rainy season, not a local car but "strangers" who are not acquainted with the area. Even worse, the "scenery" of an oxcart trying to pull itself out of the potholes and mud it has just created is more usual. Then, to pull out of the potholes, they use to download their goods in the nearby whenever possible (sand or bricks), then let the cars that were blocked behind them. Afterwads, oxcarts drivers would lay some bricks in the potholes they have just deepened (as if this was the perennial solution !), reload the remaining bricks then move away, knowing the car drivers would drive on the bricks to make them fit in the potholes.

What can I say ? For years, locals use to ask oxcarts owners (both local and "external") to replace those iron and wooden thin wheels with old tyres: vain attempts.
    Car drivers use to be mad at oxcarts drivers but things remain the same.. every summer.

Anyway, if you ever drive to my village, leave your car on the main place and don't intend to pass this last section to my place, unless you drive a 4wd or a small car and are acquainted with the section. 7 minutes to pass this section whilst if it were in a good shape, it would take less than 1 minute to do so. Anyway, it used to deter "stalkers". Unaccessable place usually deters unwanted people...

• Norali's Profile Photo

Zebus and geese

by Norali Updated Feb 12, 2005

Was not afraid. No wonder, I was at the other bank

Those are the "dangers" of the area. It may happen when you cross them returning from the fields at 5pm. This is the time when sun sets and all field activitites cease: no soil labouring, no field works, no harvesting anymore. Then, at 5pm, countrymen and their cattles, geese and ducks use to return home. My place is at the rear end of the village (South part of the village), next to the fields. So, after my walks, I used to be surprised by crazy zebus and geese. They are mean sometimes. They would run after you. If it's a goose, it's not dangerous but if it's a crazy zébu or a horny one, it's very risky. They can really get mad and go off road, chasing you around and charging.

I love it in the country but those are "things" I consider as a risk. I just can't help it. My cousin of 5 used to guide me (17 at that time) while passing near a tied cow because everyone knew I was afraid of cows. My little cousin is a kind of "friend of cows".. not afraid of anything...

When zébus pull carts, they are not dangerous because they are commanded by the zébu-drivers.. but they are dangerous when let loose. I've never met any mean cow but the mad ones were the male zebus.

• Farm Stay

Instant Answers: Malaza

Comments

Malaza Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Malaza warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Malaza sightseeing.