Mahavelona Travel Guide

Reading
    Sunbathing
    *LOL*
    Swimming
    Scuba-diving *LOL* All you want, indeed, since you are allowed to swim here, in the contrary of Toamasina heaven. Beware though to stay within the limits of coral reef.

• Cruise

Mahavelona Restaurants

by Norali Updated Jul 20, 2003

Good food there. Warm welcome.

Favorite Dish: Fresh seafood: grilled (camaron grillé) as well as in salad... mmm

One of my fave: beignet de crevettes (shrimp beignet)... Delicious with some sweet-and-sour sauce dip.

Mahavelona Nightlife

by Norali Updated Jul 20, 2003

In Mahavelona, it seems to be sunset watching and campfire with guitar serenades.

For more hectic, see my Toamasina page..

Dress Code: No tie required :-)))

Sunset while returning from Mahavelona

Mahavelona Local Customs

by Norali Updated Jul 9, 2003

Something that would strike you is that women living at seaside don't usually wear swimsuit, rather wear lambaoany.

A lamba is a rectangular piece of cotton fabrics. Its motifs are everyday life scene, with texts about love, death, patriotism...

Holidaymakers wear swimsuit though...

Mahavelona Warnings and Dangers

by Norali Written May 31, 2003

This is just a warning for those who may bath off the beaten tracks. The danger has a name and incisive teeth: SHARKS!!

Area edged by coral reefs are safe though, and sea, sand, sun tempting!!

No off the beaten path bath :-(

Mahavelona Tourist Traps

I still wonder myself..

A "guide", one of the boys who tout for clients (tourists and holidaymakers) in Foulpointe beach, told me about a natural pool in the coral reef. I wanted to see and rendez-vous was made. My friends and I stepped on a "pirogue" (little boat) and the "guide" rowed till we reached the "natural pool".

I was disappointed as it seemed to be a not so exceptional spot. I just saw an urchin and a sea cucumber. The guide told me about a water snake and looked for it for a long time. At a moment, he picked from water a long brown stuff, like soft or viscous... I am not sure it was a snake unless this one was sick... It may have been a rotten wood rod or algae or ... I don't know what...

So, I put it here as a tourist trap.

The only best thing I had from this "visit" to see a natural pool is the possibility to take the main picture in my Mahavelona page. Isn'it nice?

Unique Suggestions: I don't know any way to avoid such confusing experience unless ask a hotel a restaurant personnel how it should be (the right location, the price people use to pay for that, a short description)..

Fun Alternatives: Even better, rely on restaurant- hotel personnel to arrange excursions, visits... They would know qualified persons for guiding...

For this reason, at least, my preference goes to Mahambo beach resort.

Foulpointe (Mahavelona)
    • Cruise

Instant Answers: Mahavelona

Comments

Mahavelona Travel Guide
Map of Mahavelona