Toamasina Off The Beaten Path

• "Tamatave" inspired Chris Rea (by Anne)
    A shoot from the sea in Mahavelona beach
    I fell for it!

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Toamasina

• Norali's Profile Photo

Paradis du peuple - Chinese restaurant (1987)

by Norali Updated Sep 30, 2003

I put it here since it is a restaurant I discovered while travelling with my uncle in Toamasina.

Well, my uncle is a kind of adventurer in life. I saw and made with him things I would have never done with my quite conventional Dad and Mum. And this travel with him was really different from my Toamasina trips with my parents.

As for restaurant, he took me once to a hidden restaurant in Toamasina city. From the street, I only saw a simple portal, quite modest. We entered, I was a bit reluctant and excited at same time but said nothing... Just wanted to discover though! Surprise!

I discovered a place like a huge hub with beams and many tables. Airy and shadowy light atmosphere though it was daylight outside. With "businessmen" (rather say "crooks", according from what I heard here and there) hanging around. In fact, this used to be a cheap place for authentic and yummy Chinese food. Clientele is mostly employees who like to eat cheap, simple but tasty.

Really different from my upmarket hotels and restaurants. Just for that, I would like to return there. But also, as far as I can remember, Chinese food was great there (soups, fried rices of all kind, nem, stuffed crab...)

It seems that the restaurant is still alive (at least, I saw it on the net) but I don't know the address... This is one reason why I put it here... Nice memories of that trip with my uncle.

Sep. 03: I was told how to go there. Stroll along boulevard Joffre till you reach its end (pass Hotel Joffre). Then take your right. Pass BMOI bank and ARO Insurance bulding... it's in this street.

I fell for it!

• Norali's Profile Photo

Sleeping in a terrasse at night (1987)

by Norali Updated May 31, 2003

This happened during a trip I made with my uncle. Well, you may have read somewhere in my Toamasina page about this uncle. A quite adventurous and cool guy. Doing things with him just leads through off the beaten tracks.

For this trip, we arrived at night in Taxi-brousse area since we travelled via public taxi-brousse (travel in a sedan car with 8 other passengers). It was dark and we had to join a place where we could spend few nights.

We arrived at a studio in a spot I was not used to. Well, I was young and a bit narrow-minded. I didn't say nothing but he noticed I was not that comfortable with this tiny place, I guess lended by one of those myriads of girlfriends. He put on music and we unpacked quite quickly. I wanted to sleep because I was tired. I took a shower and when I went out from the showerbox, I noticed my uncle was not there. I was a bit afraid, thinking of staying alone in a house I don't know, in a strange corner.
    In fact, my uncle carried out the matress and bed sheets and here it is: a night in a terrasse.

I was afraid since in my hometown, we are not used to do that, for safety purpose. But in Toamasina, it was possible. I spent a quiet night, heard the noise of waves crashing down shore. And in the morning, I was waken up by noises from the street, pousses- pousses passing by as the mattress was just at pavement level. We were just hidden by a fence made of crossed wood lumbs... through which we could see passengers.

One of those experiences you just learn from... This stay with my uncle was an unusual one...

A great memory!

"Tamatave" by Chris Rea

by Norali Updated May 28, 2003

Well, sounds strange... This city inspired Chris Rea. One of his songs, "Tamatave", talks about Tamatave (Toamasina French name) and the spell Toamasina put on him...

This is probably one of rare songs where you can here him sing in French as well...

• Music

• Norali's Profile Photo

10 mn sudden sunny rain...

by Norali Written May 24, 2003

Well, this typical weather in Toamasina. While walking in the streets, you will be soaking wet since a "flash" rain just pours during 10 minutes. Strangest thing is that while it's raining cats and dogs, you won't hear any storm neither thunder and it's sunny, hot... Really weird for me.

Anyway, your clothes will dry while walking in the streets...

A shoot from the sea in Mahavelona beach
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Toamasina

Comments

Toamasina Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Toamasina off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Toamasina sightseeing.