Toamasina Transportation

My Van to Tana
    Rest Stop
    by explore_discover
    It was foggy but full moon night

Best Rated Transportation in Toamasina

Pousse-pousse

by Norali Updated Jun 2, 2003

Pousse pousse (RKAB)

A hugely used transportation means, both by locals as well as by tourists.

Informative since drivers know their city by heart and fancy showing you hidden jewels.

Would help you save energy, especially in summer when walking under the sun is uncomfortable (sticky...)

Don't hesitate to use pousse-pousse since this is the only way for pousse-pousse men to earn their living. Coastal city pousse-pousse pullers have it much more easier than Tana pullers. In fact, the latter use to pull their ricksaw full of wood lumbs. Something that stroke me was the vision of a skinny old man who pulled his overloaded ricksaw while climbing a slope in Tana area, in summer. A poignant moment for me!

• Norali's Profile Photo

Taxi-brousse and 4*4 (4WD)

by Norali Updated May 28, 2003

My fave to hop from a city to another

They are my favourite transportation means to hop from a city to another since they allow you to see landscapes. Besides, travelling by taxi-brousse with other passengers is a good way to know about Malagasy people since this transortation means is used by Malagasy of all kinds.

Book seats within taxi-brousse companies or associations in Tana. Be careful to book in advance since this is a really sought-after means (cheaper, adventure). It's quite strange but they are professional (on time, in contrary of other services). Taxi-brousses are often cars like a sedan with 8-9 seats or vans.
    OR, rent a sedan car with a chauffeur-guide who will show you around cities. This was our choice to travel from Center to South of Madagascar.

In Tana, book your seats at taxi-brousses station in Ambodivona. This station is dealing with roadtrips to Northern parts (Antsiranana), North-West (Mahajanga) and Eastern parts (Toamasina). I think departures would be there as well.
    Antananarivo-Toamasina city: 372 km.

PS: Tip applies for travelling AROUND as well.
    I used this car for my Big South Journey as well as while Heading east. I appreciate as well a berline since the road is quite often good.

Air Mad domestic flights

by Norali Updated Nov 22, 2005

Air Mad is our national air company (Norali)

Though my preference goes to roadtrips, here is a link to "Domestic flights" of Air Madagascar. Air Mad liaises Antananarivo (Tana) with main Malagasy cities. See weekly time-schedule for that.

A tip in the tip: it seems that it is cheaper to book your internal flights while booking your international flight to Madagascar. Ask TOs and travel agencies about that.

• Beaches
    • Business Travel

• Norali's Profile Photo

Wait for the "Tana-Toamasina by train"!

by Norali Updated May 28, 2003

Landscape in Tana-Toamasina trip

Another trip to do is railtrip. Tana-Toamasina by train is just amazing since you would go through forest packed with palm trees, bamboo trees, ferns, eucalyptus trees... and appreciate the vision of water falls in Andekaleka, climbing and descending hills covered by deep forests ... I made once railtrip. It was a kind of inaugural trip to Ambila Lemaitso and this was superb. I appreciated durng this trip the vision of sugarcane fields as well. It was the first time I took the train, and the only time I did it in Madagascar.

Since Madagascar national train company had difficulties to be operational these recent years, you would wait for it to be reshuffled and trains to go across cities to experience it! Up to now, it is a "off the beaten track" tip for me. But current government is reshuffling the rail company so as to make it work again .

Up to now, you have to content yourself with having a look at my "Heading East" Tlogues (parts I, II) in my Faritanin'i Toamasina pages

• Trains

• explore_discover's Profile Photo

Taxi Brousse to Antananarivo

by explore_discover Updated Dec 11, 2011
    My Van to Tana

The Taxi Brousse station on Tamatave (Toamasina) is at Boulevard D'Andovoranio (10 minutes walk from Avenue de l'Independence (Ar 1000~1500 by Taxi Pousse Pousse)

Unlike the general perception (being unsafe) I took the Night Departure to Antananariovo left Tamatave at 7.30 PM many vehicles departed and traveled in caravan and it was very safe (3 security checks on the way, and arrived 4.30 AM (everyone stayed in the vehicle till dawn) although the Taxi was available but asking higher prices.

It cost Ar 17,000 (2000 more comparing Tana-Tamatave) because at night they do not stop to pick up passengers on the way, I had seen many larger size buses departing earlier then my desired time and was also fully booked in advance) I just appeared 30 minutes before departure and luckily found the seat # 3

It is advised to get advance book if you like to take the larger bus (I will do that next time) which is certainly a lot more comfortable.

Instant Answers: Toamasina

Comments

Toamasina Transportation

Reviews and photos of Toamasina transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Toamasina sightseeing.