Morondava Things to Do

Best Rated Things to Do in Morondava

Walking in town

by rosequartzlover1 Updated Dec 20, 2011

Inside the market.

The center of town is close to the beach.There is an indoor market selling things like fresh meat vegetables and fruits.There are many stalls but most of them sell similar kind of food,not much variety.Outside of building,they sell live chicken and many other things like cloths,toys,bags,shoes and some utensils.I just walk around seeing things but didn't ask about the price of anything.About the safty,it's safe,even woman walking alone will be alright,just beware of your valuable.People are ok,no body pushing or disturb you anything,only push push may ask you if you would like to be their customer.The only problem is.. it's quite hot during the day. (November)

Grand Tsingy 4

by rosequartzlover1 Updated Apr 13, 2012

Wear safety belt before climb Grand Tsingy.

Everybody have to walk with guide,not allow to walk on our own.My guide still be Roddy.We walked through flat land under the heat of the sun for about 10 minutes ,then start to walk up through the forest.We started to look for lemur,and we are so lucky that we found a group of Decken sifaka at the very beginning of the walk,and that's the first time my life to see lemur!!.I'll write about them again in fauna tip.
    Every body have to wear safety belt with hooks for your own safety,cuz we have to walk up and down between sharp rocks.In some places it's danderous to walk without holding anything, so they put some strong rope for us to hold while walking unbalance on the tip of some big or sharp rocks.Some rocks may not be high enough for you to be afraid but if you slip and fall ,then you can be injured or have broken arm or leg.They prepare some ropes and step quite well,I think it's safety enough for almost everybody to do this walk,including some brave children(age should be more than 12 years old)

• Nyelle's Profile Photo

Tsingy

by Nyelle Written Dec 18, 2008

The Tsingy are amazing rock formations that occur in the west of Madagascar. To get to these particular tsingies (pl?) you have to take a 4x4 from Morondava. It takes roughly a day to get there and a day to get back. The drive can be pretty grueling in parts and it's wise to take 2 vehicles if you can. There are some river crossings which you do by barge with the 4x4. It cost 600,000AR for the trip, in one vehicle, split between however many people you bring along (we fit five people in the 4x4 in addition to the drivers). These are National Parks and you will pay fees and have to have a guide, but it's not expensive. You hike for a day or two, depending on how much time you have to see what's around. It's a lovely hike, and all very safe and well run. The formations are pretty fantastic and you see good wildlife as well. We saw lots of sifakas in particular.

On the way back we briefly stopped at the Avenue of the Baobabs which was pretty spectacular as well. It's only 45 minutes from Morondava so if you don't have the time necessary for the Tsingy it's a good option that can be done in one day.

The Kirindy Forest was a great stop as well. The accommodation there is not great, overpriced for what you got, and it was freezing cold overnight. Food was ok but we didn't really get enough of it. However, the night walks through the forest were spectacular. The daytime was okay but seeing nocturnal lemurs and the overnight crew of the forest was spectacular.

Morondava as a town was not a highlight of the trip. The beach is not nice (it might pass if it was somewhere else but there are so many nicer ones in Madagascar this is not the place to go if you are looking for swimming and beach stuff). There are plenty of tourist resources, however, boat trips and organized excursions around the area. Lots of overpriced accommodation, some good food and rather fun epi bars.

Beach activity

by rosequartzlover1 Written Dec 22, 2011

On the beach in front of the hotel

I were there on sunday evening,so there are many people brought their family to enjoy their weekend time on the beach.Most of them enjoy dipping themseleves in the water.Young children just being naked,most men wear some swimming gear but women just swim with anything they wear ,probably swimming suit is too expensive for them to buy.All of them were having fun,they look happy, I enjoyed watching them,children played,screamed,made sand sculpture... I didn't swim but temperature of water was ok,not hot ,not cold.But during the day I saw 2 couples(tourist staying in the hotel)went out swim in the sea,but both of the couples stayed in there only about 5 minutes then walk back.I was wonderring ,probably it's too hot,or too cold,or too strong tide? I didn't know,but so far..all local enjoy.

Tsingy

by rosequartzlover1 Written Dec 22, 2011

my  4 wheel to Tsingy.

Most people come to Morondava to be start,ending point for Tsingy trip.There are many tour operater provided.Many tours based in Tana,you can contact them through website or by yourself in Tana office.Or contact from company in Morondava if you'd like to help local.Most hotel in Morondava can provide you package tour to Tsingy upon your demand but most of them give more or less similar service.Which one to choose? ..It depends..I didn't choose a company from Tana cuz I want to help more local town than rich big city.
    In Morondava there are 2 places that I may choose from,which is Le Bougain Villiers and Chez Maggie hotel .Both of them provide some tours,with very similar service but it may be different in price and condition of 4wheels they'll provide.About the price we can know in advance to decide but about the car..we need to be lucky,cuz the time we book,the good one may be on the run and what car we will get? .This 2 hotels are good hotel in the very same grade,so I expect that they may have enough costomer and cash flow enough to maintain their car.We have to be in rough road and sometime crossinng small river and need good driver and 4wheel drive.
    I'll show what 4 wheel I got.It's Pajero Galloper .When I first saw it ..oh ohw.. it's so... old.I think in my mind "Can I reach destination?" But ..ok..I chose already..and this is going to be my 4 wheel for the next 5 days.The only thing I can do now is praying... : )

Grand Tsingy fauna

by rosequartzlover1 Written Sep 17, 2012

Hello there!!!...

At the beginning of the walk of Grand Tsingy,I saw a group of Decken's sifaka.They are in a group of 5.This type of sifaka is a little known and it used to be considered as a sub species of Verreaux's sifaka which look very similar.It's fur is typically creamy white, which forms a stark contrast against the black, hairless face. The neck, shoulders, back and limbs are occasionally tinged with yellow, silvery-grey or pale brown. In some other areas they have a dark brown to black head, and light brown to silver grey on the upper arms ,shoulder and upper back.
    To be easy to remember which one is Decken or Verreaux ,I can tell you the quickest way to see the diffference is ..Verreuax sifaka has some kind of " headband" on the head which can see clearly in black colour stripe, whatever we can say.. " headband" "stripe" or "crown" but decken's sifaka don't have that.
    For the species of lemur or sifaka,I like these 2 types so much ,I think they are beautiful,may be because of the more white fur of them that look alike panda a little bit.(it's only private fantacy : )
    And one of the most adorable species I dream and longing to see most is Diadem sifaka.They are not in this area but more to the eastern side of the country which is more dense and greener forest.
    We can find Decken's sifaka only in western part of Madagascar and they are diurnal.It's in endandered red list.I just really hope for them to have opportunity to live longer.I hope no more cutting the forest.I hope human share some forest for animal too,..not only for oneself.

Grand Tsingy 8

by rosequartzlover1 Written May 23, 2012

Along the way climbing

There are about 2 view points platform ..on top of the rocks.Everybody took turn to go up to see view of Grand Tsingy ,to see how amazing it is from the top.It's really great and beautiful.The platform made from wood and can carry only 5 people at a time.If you see people are waiting,please consider that it's very hot and still people waiting without any shade,so please don't have long conversation up there.If we just enjoy the view and take pictures.. that'll be fine.
    I have some nice picture to show you ,from my camera they may looked so and so ,but in real..they are so amazing and beautiful.

• rosequartzlover1's Profile Photo

Side trip to Kirindy reserve (2)

by rosequartzlover1 Updated Jul 25, 2013

Red fronted brown lemur near reception area.

Kirindy is private nature reserve.I went there especially for the night walk to see nocturnal wildlife.The Kirindy area is dry decicuious forests.After turning left from main road to Kirindy it was long straight road but not so good condition.My driver Jeff drive very fast along this route until I was afraid that some other parts of our vehicle will fall off again. But we arrived safely before sunset.At the moment there was an international group of field biologists students had a meeting at Kirindy reserve center,and 2 other tourists vehicles who just drove past us along the way cuz Jeff drove slowest but suddenly drove so fast along this route,probably he was afraid that we might not arrive before sunset.
    Shortly after arriving ,there were few red fronted brown lemurs appeared near reception and kitchen area .They get use to human and always come here waiting for some food from kitchen or from tourists.I was excited to see them because it's the first red fronted brown lemur I saw.One with a small baby holding tight on her body,they were so cute.They jumped around the area,posting for photograph for a while but none of these visittors gave them food ,probably busy taking pictures.(At the moment there were 4 other tourists one Argentinian ,one Chilean who were couple that living in USA ,other 2 were European.)

Grand Tsingy 9

by rosequartzlover1 Written Aug 9, 2012

This is an example of what I said "everybody can do it" This gentleman from Belgium was so brave ,his age is around 70 something travel around in Madagascar with his wife.I met him along walking here .He walked his own pace and seemed to enjoy everything around him a lot.He was lucky that got a very very good and kind guide,only him in the group .His wife has hight fear,so she didn't do this walk,she prefer to wait at the parking area.It means he got very private guide.I noticed that this guide keep petient of his customer of how slow and how much he has to encourage his customer,he took very good care of his customer very well.(same as my Roddy ...is also the very good one )You can see in the picture he hold his hand,and still be good mood.It's a pity I forgot his name.I recommend this 2 guides for you all...Roddy and this one.

Park entrance fee.

by rosequartzlover1 Updated Jan 21, 2012

Park office entrance.

I started my first day in Bekopaka by going to Manambolo ferry crossing area.The staff from hotel drove us instead of Jeff cuz he's been busy repairing the car some where.The national park office is right there.I paid for the park fee for 2 days.You have to decide how many days of activities you'll do in National park cuz the fee is different ..1 day fee/person/day is 25,000 Ar. but if 2days it'll be cheaper =37,000/person. If 4 days= 40,000/person.And we must hire a local guide for all activities here.I plan to do small Tsingy and pirouge crusie along Manambolo river in one day and do the grand Tsingy on the next day.There'll be some local guide waiting around the office and one of them will present himself when tourist approach the office.I told them my plan and they calculate the fee of everything and paid there.
    Guide fee for Petit Tsingy(small Tsingy)=15,000/per. For Grand Tsingy another 20,000/per.
    Pirogue trip (1-2 hours) =6,000/per.
    Pirogue staff = 6,000/per.

My local guide was Roddy.At the beginning he's quite quiet,but after a while I could say that he's a very good and smart guide.He can speak english well better than other guide I've met from the whole trip so far.In Bekopaka he said there's not much guide that can speak english but most of them are now trying to learn english,that is good ,because now many nationality tourist travelling there,not only the french.The way they learn english is learning by themself from tourist day by day ,word by word...smart.

Pirouge trip along Manambolo river

by rosequartzlover1 Written Dec 28, 2011

Erosion made this rock impressive.

It's better to do pirougue trip in very early morning,especially in hot season cuz it's very hot.The scenery of river you see may let you think about cool breeze,but not at all.There was almost no wind and the sun ray is so strong,and almost no clouds.So prepare sunblock and wear some hat.
    Pirougue trip was only about 1-1.30 hours along Manambolo river.They'll bring us to see 2 small caves to see some stalactite and stalagmite.It's not that impressive but better then nothing.I like to see river gorge or rock formation along the river more.Both sides of thr river is the cliff of limestone.The river made the horizontal erosion line through the time until it looked this impressive.Between the crevices some where you'll see local had put some of thier ancester tomb.
    Some piece of rock at the bottom is so big, the erosion made it's curve so impressive,like you'll see in the first picture.I like this.
    All the ancient cemeteries,Manambolo gorge and the gorge itself are designated "Natural monument and sites"

Petit Tsingy fauna.

by rosequartzlover1 Updated Mar 28, 2012

Fucifer oustaleti Chameleon

Here are some pictures of animal I saw in Petit Tsingy area.
    1. Chameleon,we saw it since the beginning of the walk.It's quite big one.Luckily we met it at eye level so we can see it so close,he's moving upward on a branch.I think he made himself a little bigger when seeing us,probably to scare us or something.
    2.A (probably) female zonosaurus.
    3.A male zonosaurus.From what I know,many species of male one has almost same width of head and neck.
    4.Pill Millipede.They are no poisonous,eating decaying leaves and plants.They can roll themselves into a tight ball to protect themselves from predators.This one came to greet us while we were having our lunch break in a small cave area in Petit Tsingy.

Grand Tsingy 1

by rosequartzlover1 Updated Jan 22, 2012

That's my 4WD and people who helped us

I noticed that almost all tourist that I met along the way from Morondava to Bekopaka going to do the Grand Tsingy same day as me.I remember them when they drove past me while my car has broken down the day before.My hotel is one of the nearest to the park so I can arrive the park a little earlier but.....it's not like that....My driver ..my poor Jeff made trouble again.There's a very small river crossing ,it's quite deep and muddy and he couldn't make it through.He might have little less experience driving 4WD,so the car was stuck in the mud.Luckily that the exhaust pipe wasn't under the water , the engine still running so it's easier to fix the situation...Of course I have to get off the car and again ..wait for people passing by to help because Jeff couldn't make it .And almost all the car passing today are the same people I've seen that day that I had the break down !!!! "It's them again" They might thought.
    All of the driver stopped the car seeing the situation .Some just tried to pass without being stuck like us but most of them tried to help. I thought Jeff may have some strong rope or something but ...no...And other helper also has nothing better than a fragile fabric rope.It's teared off within a second.We watched them for a while ,in the mean time traffic started to be busy,no car can pass ,all were waiting until few other passenger help to ask around for any other strong rope ,finally some one has it ,and the problem solved..... few!!!! Thanks for all that help.
    From this situation made me notice that most of the car has no equipment of self help or some thing that they may use if the car break down .I understand that TIA "this is africa" yes ..but because of TIA they should spare some money to buy at least strong rope for this situation.They have good kindness and helpfulness in their mind but those couldn't help if there's no equipment at all.Ok ...next time if I have chance to go back to africa again I'll see if I can buy them something ,at least for the car I have to use myself.

Grand Tsingy 2

by rosequartzlover1 Updated Mar 2, 2012

Very simple class room in the middle of the field

On the way to Grand Tsingy,I saw a very small local school.So I stopped to greet them for a while.There were about 25 students age around 4-7 years old.When we arrived ,students just looking at us quietly ,nobody seems to be naughty or scream with cheerful like any other students I saw somewhere in other parts of the world ,probably because their teacher told them not to do,and they obeyed.So we just tried to be very quiet as well and just ask permission to take some pictuers and we donated some money to teacher to help these children for something they might need,may be some snacks,candy or some water.Those are the things most kids asked for.

Grand Tsingy 3

by rosequartzlover1 Updated Mar 19, 2012

Here are some more pictures about Grand Tsingy. The first and second pictures are atmosphere at the parking area before start walking.We'll see small stalls selling fruits or some vegetebles.It can be anything of the day,depends on what local can find to sell that day.I bought some lime fruit from a lady cuz I need to help them having some income and also I need some vitamin - C after long time no fruits and vegetables consuming.Their lime are quite big,the taste is very sour and a little bitter.Other stall offer some local food which most drivers immediately got together to have their brunch.The second pic show people preparing to wear safety belts with snap hooks.But my guide, Roddy said we can do it later ,cuz we have to walk a bit before arriving the climbing point.He will carry the equipment for me in the meantime.
    I saw guides brought tourists to different route,it depends of what kind of route you choose to walk ,..short walk ..long walk...half day ..whole day..or 2 days walk...You have to negotiate with them first.Don't forget to ask them if you are Klausto phobia (fear of narrow and dark place or cave,cuz there's one very narrow and completely dark cave) or if you have hight fear.Ask them if the route you are choosing is ok for you or not.But I think they'll say ok for all,cuz they want everybody to try.Now it's up to yourself that "Can you do it?"
    I'll try to give you some of the pictures that may help someone who are hesitating to do it or not .If you see some picture ,it may help you a little bit to make the decision.

Instant Answers: Morondava

Comments

Morondava Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Morondava things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Morondava sightseeing.