Blantyre Travel Guide

Blantyre Hotels

Blantyre Restaurants

• napparawy's Profile Photo

by napparawy Written May 28, 2011

It's a hidden gem in Blantyre. The place is small, but the foood is veryyy tasty. The Owner, her name is Alem. Nice lady from Ethiopia, she cook herself.

Favorite Dish: Tibs. It's small pieces of meat spiced in Ehtiopian spices and comes in a pot. with vegitables and the famous ethiopian bread.

Don't forget to try the coffee!

• Camping
    • Hiking and Walking

Blantyre Transportation

• sebblit7's Profile Photo

by sebblit7 Written Nov 5, 2005

With offices in Blantyre and Lillongwe SS-Rent-A-Car is cheaper than the multinationals and therefore more personal on the service. We hired a 4x4 with Driver (his name was Peter and he was excellent to work with, he's a young guy who is very driven, on top of things and willing to assist beyond the scope of his duty - He carried the Tripod and sound bag for the cameraman and was most interested in what we were doing and resourceful for our news coverage, without being annoying as some drivers can be) Ask for Peter to drive especially if you're journo's, you'll know what I mean when you work with him - tell him Steve from NHK says "Hi."

According to Peter, he only works part time for SS Renta a car, I guess it depends on the workload. I advise that you request for him personally, when you contact SS-Rent-a-car. Otherwise you can get hold of him through two of his friends:

Rashid: +265 934 2999
    Harry: +265 955 9884

As regards car hire from SS-Rent-A-Car I specifically asked beforehand if the 4x4 we hired had working aircon and working electronic windows (Most cars I've hired in Africa have had problems with either the aircon or the electronic windows) Even though I was assured all was in order 2 of the windows packed in on the first day, for the rest of the time the windows worked sporadically. When I complained I was told by Sam Singh (the owner of SS Renta Car) that he'd give us his personal 4x4. Although I declined the offer I thought that was great customer service.

We were charged the following for a Ford 4x4 Double cab with canopy:

US$150/day incl. tax, insurance, driver and 200km free/day therafter US$0.84/km. Overtime for the driver is US$1 per hour before 7am and after 5pm.

A point of note: The WFP Land cruiser that travelled in convoy with us had two flate tyres on the return from Nsanje District, our Ford had no problems (Sorry Chris and Matthews)

• Business Travel

Blantyre Warnings and Dangers

• frockland's Profile Photo

by frockland Updated Aug 11, 2004

Like in most cities in Africa its not too safe to walk around after darkness. Take a taxi or find somebody who knows where it is safe and in what areas its advised to stay away! Be careful on your way to / from Doogles to the city centre, especially near the railway bridge!

Keep your eyes open near the bus station!

Blantyre Favorites

• sebblit7's Profile Photo

by sebblit7 Written Nov 5, 2005

Favorite thing: Mr. Harry Chuma (Chief Production Engineer) TVM (Television Malawi) tells me that it is possible to feed from Blantyre using the local Telecoms tower. I have not fed from here but if you want to give it a bash call him:

Tel +2651 672 498
    Cell +2659558981
    Fax: +2651 672 627
    Email: harrychuma@yahoo.com

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: Blantyre

Comments

Blantyre Travel Guide
Map of Blantyre