Places to eat in Malawi

Most Viewed Restaurants in Malawi

• muguruki's Profile Photo

Some bloke under a mango tree: Monkey Bay chips

by muguruki Written Dec 8, 2009

Malawi chips are possibly the best chips in the world and I’m not the only person to think so.

One time while I was at Nkhata Bay a small child came down to the beach with a tray full of food to sell. Quite often this small girl appeared with rather nice carrot cakes to sell but on this occasion the tray was piled high with chip butties. Needless to say they sold well so much so that I sent her back and told her Mama to go and make some more. They were absolute heaven.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Grand Beach resort: Service Above and Beyond

by Bwana_Brown Updated Oct 9, 2005

The resort's restaurant was run on the old British tradition, that is, very orderly. I have never recovered from my shock of laying on the beach in mid-afternoon and having one of the waiters approach us to ask us which type of wine would we prefer for our evening meal! They had to be able to chill it for us! As during our stay in Kenya, there was also an early evening meal put on for the children and then they were ensconced in our room with a provided baby-sitter while we dined at our leisure beginning at 7 PM. The food was good too! A photo of one of the staff members playing with our daughters on the beach.

Favorite Dish: I cannot remember but I know that it was good.

• Beaches

• Lady-Charisma's Profile Photo

Along The Roadside: Rodent-kebabs & Flying Ants! Yummy...hahah!

by Lady-Charisma Updated Feb 24, 2005

For those craving the taste of something unusual, if you've ever wanted to know what roasted rodents taste like...this is the place to find them! Not that I've tasted them myself, but locals sell them by the highway on a stick, so they look like shishkebabs, only they're rodent-kebabs! Also, during rainy seasons, local folks gather flying ants (yes, they flew! scary thought, huh?) and roast them. Some people who worked for us and lived with us liked to eat these ants (which are pretty HUGE, by the way - looked like bumblebees to me!). I had loads of fun helping them catch the ants. What we did was fill up huge buckets of water and place them underneath our windows outside. We would then turn on the lights and watch the "fun" begin. Now as you may already know, bugs and the like, are attracted to lights at night, so they would fly straight into the window, hit the glass, and fall stunned into the buckets filled with water. When they hit the water, they could no longer fly - some would drown, and after the buckets were filled, they were harvested by us. By the way, my dad mustered the nerve to try an ant. He covered it with rice and all (to make it a bit more palatable for him), but he said it just wouldn't go down his throat. Hahah! I wasn't that brave. Hooray for dad!

P.S. For those who return to my pages in search of updates, in lieu of the my former title of "rat-kebabs," I changed the title to "rodent-kebabs." At MsTingaK's helpful explanation that Malawians prefer mice to rats based on a fundamental difference (clean vs. unclean?), I wanted to remain as accurate as possible. So, I did some research. One of the websites I discovered mentioned both rat and mice alike were eaten http://home.gwu.edu/~gwg/journal/Year02/02-Feb-C/02-FEB-C-3.htm. However, popular consensus shows that mice are preferred. I will leave it to the reader to use their own discretion as to which they would prefer to eat! Bon apetit!

Favorite Dish: I just couldn't make myself eat any of it!

• Christel21's Profile Photo

Carolina lakeside restaurant & chalets, Senga Bay: Good food at Lake Malawi

by Christel21 Updated Jul 13, 2004

Food is good, value for money and really not that expensive. The restaurant also accepts foreign currencies (Rand and US dollar). The restaurant is situated on the shore of the lake. very comfortable. One can even watch TV inside (like the rugby :)

Favorite Dish: You will definately get fresh fish (lake!)

• Diving and Snorkeling

Lunch at the Shire River

by sachara Updated Sep 26, 2003

During our boatride at the Shire River in the Liwonde National Park they served us the included cold lunch with a delicious salad.
    You have to order it the day before.
    We really enjoyed our lunch, sitting in our chairs of cane, looking at the water and the green scenery waiting for the hippo's and elephants to come.

• Sailing and Boating

Tasteful islandfood

by sachara Updated Sep 24, 2003

The boattrip we made to one of the islands of the Lake malawi National Park included a meal too.
    It was a delicious meal with fresh fish from the barbecue, rice, sauce and salad.
    After smelling the good aroma's from the barbecue we all became a good appetite.
    It was delightful to sit at the beach with in the late afternoon sun and have such a great meal.

Robinson Crusoe, barbecue, Lake Malawi

by sachara Updated Sep 24, 2003

We made a boattrip to one of the islands in Lake Malawi organised by the local people, included a nice fish barbecue.
    Of course with fresh fish from the lake.
    The preparing of the fish at the open fire smelled very good. It took a lot of time before the meal was ready. So we had enough time to walk around the island, to sit on the beach or to swim.

• Durbanite's Profile Photo

Hostaria in Blantyre. Eat...

by Durbanite Written Aug 26, 2002

Hostaria in Blantyre. Eat outside.

Greens...for the special occasion.

Blantyre Sports Club has a variety of food outlets too.
    All of them have atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: Hostaria is mainly excellent Italian food.

Otherwise it has to be the fish of Malawi.......Chambo.

• Home Needs: Home Needs

by quovadis Written Aug 24, 2002

Its a small joint run by an Indian Family (Mr. Pankaj) - extremely friendly, warm and whether you have tasted any Indian food or not, you are bound to enjoy.

Favorite Dish: The best Indian Food joint at Blantyre. Dont forget to checkout those fresh fruit juices..

Malawi Hotels

Kaningina Mountains Hotels
Kambwiri Hotels
Chipoka Hotels

Instant Answers: Malawi

Comments

Malawi Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Malawi restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Malawi sightseeing.
Map of Malawi