Stores, Malls or Markets in Region de Kayes

Kayes, streetstalls

Most Viewed Shopping in Region de Kayes

marketstalls: Vegetables and fruits

by sachara Updated Feb 13, 2005

In Kayes we saw a lot of marketstalls, where women were selling all kind of vegetables and fruits. It's the best place to buy what you need. I saw plenty of sweet potatoes and melon this time.

What to buy: We bought some bananas, but no fresh vegetables. We decided to use our stock of tins with vegetables while en route and having bushcamps.

Kayes, streetstalls

Coke and beer

by sachara Updated Feb 13, 2005

In one of the epiceries downtown Kayes we did the big shopping for drinks for the next days in the desert.

I asked the shopkeeper, if I could make a picture of his shop. He gave me permission and was very proud. I liked these shops, especially the way the products are heaped on shelves along the wall, forming almost a wonderful piece of art.

What to buy: We bought boxes with bottles of mineral water, trays with tins of coke and sprite. Some of my fellow-travellers were very excited, because they saw bavaria beer. It turned out to be non-alcoholic beer with a funny caramel taste ! We drunk it for weeks at the moments, if there was nothing else left to drink.

Marius, buying beer in Kayes

• sachara's Profile Photo

one of the many streetstalls downtown: Bread and fishballs

by sachara Updated Feb 13, 2005

In the Centre Comercial of Kayes we just parked near this stall of this lady, preparing fishballs. We could follow the whole proces of pounding, making balls and frying, while we had to wait for something.

I don't know anymore, where we were waiting for, only that we had to wait a lot evrywhere in Africa. So take your time, relax and look around, because the African streetlife is always very interesting and part of the fun in Africa.

What to buy: The lady was selling small breads with fishballs. It must have tasted delicious for sure, but we were more interested in the breads without the balls.

Because we didn't see any bakery, shop or stall around selling bread, we bought a big part of her stock of breads for our two days journey to the next town in Mauritania.The result was, that those two days we have eaten our bread with a light taste of fish.

bread and fish balls

Instant Answers: Region de Kayes

Comments

Region de Kayes Shopping

Reviews and photos of Region de Kayes shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Region de Kayes sightseeing.
Map of Region de Kayes