Cascavelle Travel Guide

Cascavelle Things to Do

• a5floor's Profile Photo

by a5floor Written Oct 14, 2012

Casela National Park has 4500 hectares. You can find wild animals up here: birds, lions, cheetahs, turtles, etc.

When I was there, I did mainly the interaction with the lions. It was a full day. And a lot of fun tough. The lions & cheetahs were orphans from all over the world. Casela National Park took these animals and raised them.

Be aware: the lions/cheetahs are wild animals. Even they were 'raised' by humans.

• Zoo
    • Photography

• originalribenababy's Profile Photo

by originalribenababy Written Jul 16, 2008

I think I actually heard about this activity on VT (so thanks whoever reviewed it first!). This was the most enjoyable thing I did while I was in Mauritius.

It is what it says on the box: a walk with lions, or more correctly a brisk walk as they walk so much faster than we do!

You do the walk in a smallish group, about 8 people. You get a breifing at the start where the trainer will give you safety talk and a lot of information about the lions and the area you will be walking in, then the lions come out.

At the begining it was a bit of a scrum and you had to jog a little to keep up. My advice if you really want to touch them is to get shoved in just in case they do a runner on the way home as ours did catching sight of a rabbit they found more interesting than us!

Everyone gets some really good photos regardless of whether you touch them or not, and there are opportunities along the walk as you can see from my pictures to have your photo taken with the lions (more scary than you would think!).

The cheetah interaction was something that I arranged as part of my meeting with the owner which may be at an extra cost, but is worth it if you really want to get up close, the cheetahs are a little less boisterous than the lions so you can be in there enclosure with them.

I made sure when I chatted with one of the owners what happened to the animals once they couldn't do the interactions any more (as many places that offer interactions sell them on to canned hunting reserves once they are too big to be with the public). I am pleased to say that they were loved and well cared for and would be used for breeding, and the owners were also opposed to canned hunting.

To sum it up its something I would recommend to anyone wanting to do something different in Mauritius, although not a really wild experience its not something you will get to do often!

Casela walking with lions The Cheetah interaction at Casela ma and my lions at casela me and my cheetah at casela the lions at casela
    • Safari
    • Zoo

• Cascavelle Hotels

0 Hotels in Cascavelle

Instant Answers: Cascavelle

Comments

Cascavelle Travel Guide
Map of Cascavelle