Mauritius Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Mauritius

• junecorlett's Profile Photo

"The loos"

by junecorlett Updated Mar 16, 2009

We had booked a tour to an island for the day. The tour operator was fetching us from our hotel after breakfast and taking us to a beach further north to get onto a boat.
    We had quite a long drive and a bit of a wait for the boat. By this time, my daughter and I needed to go to the loo before getting onto the boat.
    We were waiting at a public beach and had to ask directions to the nearest loo. What we were directed to was the customary loo for the locals (public toilets).
    On entering, my daughter turned away and actually got sick. I was so desperate, and found the loo to be the type that is a "Hole in the ground" type of loo. There was NO toilet paper either. I JUST COULD NOT DO IT. The urge to go eventually left me.
    I would advise, that if you are travelling anywhere on the island of Mauritius, carry a toilet roll in your bag if you are going on a tour and will be away from the hotels.

• CleggyBroon's Profile Photo

Winter is June July & August in Maruitius

by CleggyBroon Written Jun 30, 2007

This is a general warning for anybody planning a holiday in Mauritius in what is Summer in the UK but is the Winter in Mauritius!!!!
    The holiday brochures give you the average sunshine & rainfall for each month.
    What they fail to tell you that Mauritius is a very large Island & the weather is very regional.
    They never tell you what part of the Island they are getting there data from.

We have just returned from staying 12 nights in Pereybere in the Grand Baie area & had 4 days of no sun & some very heavy rain. The weather was also cold at night.
    Where we were staying is in the north which is the Sunniest & Driest part of the island & has beter weather than the south. We hired a car for 3 days & went everywhere. When it is sunny in the north it was very wet & stormy down the south.

Most websites only give you the wether forcast for the airport which is in the south east.
    I found a good French weather site that will give you the weather for each area.
    I hope this info will help anybody planning a holiday on this beautiful island.

• Luxury Travel
    • Water Sports

• Maurisun update

by SA_Abroad Written Feb 9, 2007

I am pleased to report that Maurisun - through whom we organised the car mentioned in the earlier posting - has organised that Monet Cars reimburse us 100% for the days we had the inappropriate car.

I think we should have refused to take the car, despite the fact that we were tired, had just travelled a long way, were in holiday mode, and despite the fact that it was about to be a long period of New Year public holidays in Mauritius. No wants want to make a fuss at that point though.

I also think that Maurisun should have reimbursed is immediately I followed up with them and not caught us up in their debates with Monet Cars .

Maurisun did do the right thing in the end.

• Unfortunate car hire experience

by SA_Abroad Written Feb 6, 2007

Just to let potential car hirers that we had an unfortunate experience when we hired a car during our holiday in Mauritius over New Year. Won't bore everyone with the details but we hired a car through Maurisun who had handled our accommodation booking. They organised a car through an agent called Monet Cars. The car which we were given was not of the usual car hire standard (167 000 on the clock, broken lock, no aircon, poor shock absorbers...) and we were told it belonged to the boss' son who was on holiday. If there were problems it would instantly be replaced. Our text messages were not responded to (deleted by the agents' nephew we were told) and it took several days for it to be replaced.
    The agent said that they had only been told the day before our arrival that a car was needed although we had booked previously.
    We have followed up with Maurisun a few times and have been told the matter is being looked into....not yet had an apology (let alone a refund for those few days)
    Bad taste to the holiday, really.

Instant Answers: Mauritius

Comments

Mauritius Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Mauritius warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mauritius sightseeing.