How to get from the cruiseship to town ?
It is quite a long path through the docks from the docking-places for cruise-ship to town, about 20 minutes to walk in the open sun on a road that is also used by heavy trucks and so you might considder taking the ferry that I talk about in my next tip, BUT I would say that this ferry is really only for sporty people !!!
You will not always find a trottoir in the streets from the cruiseship to the city and there will be a control as well - see the controlpost in my 1st picture, its enough to show your boardingcard there, no x-ray, no custom-formalities etc.
- Family Travel
Tiny ferryboats from the port to the city, BUT...
There are tiny ferryboats leaving every 20 or 30 minutes from a place close to your cruiseship and they promise you to take you to town the easy way, BUT you really should know that getting into these boats is no big problem, BUT for getting out at the other side you really need to be sporty, as you have to balance over several other boats in order to reach the quai there.
An eldery lady from my ship broke her shoulder that way and had to stay in hospital for a while, so maybe elderly or handicapped people should really rather take the tours organized by the cruise-lines !
Buses to and from the north coast
Triolet Bus Services (TBS) operates buses in the northern region of Mauritius, connecting the northern coastal towns and villages with the capital, Port Louis.
Express buses leave for Port Louis approximately every 30 minutes during the day from Royal Road in Grand Baie, with buses running at similar intervals in the opposite direction. Non-express buses, operating between Port Louis and Cap Malheureaux, stop every few hundred metres along the route, with stops at Pereybere, Grand Baie, Mont Choisy, Trou aux Biches and Pamplemousses.
The following information regarding express buses was correct at the time of my visit in February 2008:
- Express buses leave from Royal Road in Grand Baie, with the main terminal located outside La Jonque restaurant;
- Buses from Grand Baie and other northern areas arrive at Port Louis’ Immigration Square bus station. Buses to and from the south of the island depart from and arrive at Port Louis’ Victoria Square bus station. The two bus stations are about 20 minutes walk apart;
- The journey between Grand Baie and Port Louis takes approximately 30 minutes by express bus and costs 23 Rupees / 0.40 GBP each way. Non-express buses complete the journey in around 60 minutes;
- Bus tickets are purchased on board from a conductor. Simply take a seat and wait for the conductor to come around, either before the journey begins or shortly after setting off;
- The bus station at Immigration Square is chaotic and very confusing for visitors. There are no visible signs to indicate where the express buses to Grand Baie depart from. I had to ask several people for directions, and each one told me to make my way to the back of the station (an area with dozens of buses parked up seemingly randomly), where I eventually located the red and white Triolet bus that was heading to Grand Baie.
the local tourbuses
Here you see one of the local tourbuses that will take you around the island of Mauritius in case that you book a guided tour on a cruise or when staying in a hotel.
Mostly they have some aircondition, the seats are quite narrow and dont have seatbelts, but some of the windows can be opened by the passengers, so that is perfect when you like to take photos and of course you will have your own Aircondition that way.
- Family Travel
Busses from Port Louis
Bus stands in Port louis are: Immigration with busses going NORTH, and Victoria with busses going SOUTH.
Please remember if you are coming from airport you will arrive at VICTORIA, the south bus station, so if you are going north a longish walk, or a short bus ride to IMMIGRATION will be needed if you are going up north....
eg, AIRPORT>VICTORIA>IMMIGRATION>YOUR DESTINATION NORTH.
- Budget Travel
- Road Trip
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Lowest Price Guarantee
- HostelBookers.com No Booking Fee. Book Online Now Great Prices & User Reviews