Agadir Favorites

• apartments right beside the sea at Taghazout
    apartments right beside the sea at...
    by angiebabe
  • surfing, fishing, relaxing on the beach below
    surfing, fishing, relaxing on the beach...
  • Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in Agadir

• solopes's Profile Photo

Modernity

by solopes Updated Dec 28, 2013
    Agadir - Morocco

Favorite thing: Agadir was destroyed by a violent earthquake almost 50 years ago. We can see some ruins of the old city, but Agadir is now a modern city. Thus, it is not a great place to see traditional Morocco, only one of the best Moroccan beaches.

That's why we spent a week in the beach, and another one travelling in the "old Morocco", in a perfect combination.

• Architecture

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

Stay out at Tagazout above the beautiful blue sea.

by angiebabe Written Aug 5, 2013

Favorite thing: Our favourite place to stay when thinking of Agadir Is a few kilometres further north up the coast at Tagazout. Usually we stay in an apartment complex that has been built looking over a small bay with beach so the views are great and the sound of the crashing waves I love at night. We can take the stairs down through the complex that come out at the bottom and enjoy the beach that, other than a group playing footie at times, is often to ourselves or just a few others.

A minute or so back along the road towards Agadir is the town centre of small but lively Tagazout - famed for being the surftown of Agadir. The best surf handiest to Agadir is regarded to be here.
    So there are surf gear shops, surfing classes available here and a few minutes walk down the beach. CAfes, restaurants and shops are open til late at night here.

Not spoilt for choice of beach though as the coastline with its pockets of sandy or rocky beaches goes for miles. There are popular or secluded beaches and bays south and north of here. So many people like to come and find a spot to set up their space and relax for a few hours or the day. Bring or hire a beach umbrella, and make a tagine and a picnic, and swim.

There are several places where lounge chairs can be rented - and often camels and horses are brought along to make a few dirhams from those who want to take a ride.

• Surfing

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

Agadir in March

by angiebabe Written Jan 9, 2012

Favorite thing: Hi, March is generally a very nice month - Agadir is generally warmer or milder than other places around that may still be a bit chilly. If the weather is sunny its generally warm to even hot - but can be variable and changeable so best to take layers and light but warm fleeces are good in case its very cold or in case you decide to go have overnight trips out of Agadir.
    Generally march is good for the beach as I said can even be hot so be prepared to be able to swim and wear clothes for the summer and take sandals.
    For example Tafrouate makes a lovely place to visit, especially in March when flowers are generally beginnning to bloom around the countryside.

Quite a number of us have our own travel pages with tips and pics on various locations - inlcluding Agadir so would recommned you have a look around our pages and also even back through the questions here in the forums.
    click on the Travel Guides link and that will take you to locations and then there are also lists of ranked pages such as the top 5 - our pages are ranked in order of ratings and rankings received or as date the page was made.

If you need to know any more you are welcome to send me an email/vtmail and let me know.

• Women's Travel

• piosku67's Profile Photo

culture shock

by piosku67 Written Feb 10, 2010

Favorite thing: I flew to Agadir in February 2009 and unsurprisingly heavy rains welcomed us though some days ago it had been quite sunny and warm. Be prepared for it, though if you are not fond of heat and love walking, biking, hiking or whatever it’s the best time for it. Before my stay in Agadir I was sceptical about conditions of a hotel but it was very good. It was “Le Tivoli”. I think for those who tend to stay rather in a hotel room it’s a most convenient place. But an enormous mess because of the sudden repair in the streets scared us when we tried with my friend to reach the nearby beach. The repair was order by The King – we heard from our guide.
    But the most irritable thing which I experienced in this country is the way street traders talked to me pressing to buy and offering different things though when I wanted to get some information it was impossible. What’s more, I was deceived by taxi drivers once because he got more money than we agreed before a ride.
    I think the culture of contract is quite opposite what I am used to. I experienced it many times and was often upset and depressed in Agadir and while traveling to Marrakech. Another thing was the fact that we could not walk along the beaches in this direction where is the King’s palace. An armed soldier ordered us to come back to the area of hotels for foreigners and the pedestrian precinct. That was to much for me because normally I go almost everywhere on foot and love exploring cities and rural areas in this way crossing many barriers sometimes.
    Another thing was the habit of drinking mineral water or anything else just because you’re thirsty. We were wandering in the streets of Marrakech and decided to buy a bottle of water or a yogurt. But the shop was connected with another one hidden and they were selling alcohol which for me couldn’t exist at all. I’ m not fond of alcohol. The appearance of white, European tourists nearby indicates they eager to buy some vodka or some beer. We were extremely thirsty and spontaneously started drink water or yogurt just outside the shop. It caused the sharp reaction of passersby who though it was alcohol beverage. Some Moroccan guy started to shout. We were scared.

• Hiking and Walking

Apartments, rental cars and beach buggys

by khattabi_eg Written Dec 19, 2009

Favorite thing: I could add one bit of info here and that is, with the budget you mentioned for renting an appartment, you could actually opt for a residence hotel. You will have a fully equipped apartment to yourselves and also have access to the pool you wanted. So you get the best of the two worlds. Somewhere like Hotel Residence Intourist comes to mind now, but there are many others.
    Rental cars are widely available, you only need to know where the best places to rent are and how to haggle as mentioned in the previous post.
    For a period of over a week or two I can get a decent car, like Renault Clio, Renault Kangoo or Peugeot Partner that even run on diesel so that means less money spent on fuel. And of course, with air-conditioning, a CD player and all other options, plus all risk insurance for 300 Dirhams a day!
    As far as I know, the beach buggy can be rented for individuals but they usually rent them for like an hour or two and not a half or a whole day.
    Enjoy your time in Morocco, you will have a good time this time ! :)

Apartments, rental cars and beach buggys

by khattabi_eg Written Dec 19, 2009

Enjoy your time in Morocco, you will have a good time this time ! :)

Day trips

by khattabi_eg Updated May 29, 2008

Favorite thing: Agadir is a beach resort so it doesn't represent much of the true feeling of Morocco, so if you'd like to go around on day trips, then these places are best to visit, as they're close enough (a1 to 2 hour drive away) and are not very touristy neither are expensive: Taroudant, Tiznit, Imouzzer, Essaouira, Tafraout, Mirleft...)

Nouveau Tarborjt

Av. du President Kennedy with Mohammed V mosque

Favorite thing: After I stayed three times in a hotel in the tourist area between the Boulevard Mohammed V and the beach, it was very refreshing to book a hotel in Nouveau Tarborjt at about 15 minutes walk from the beach and about 5 minutes from most places in the citycentre.

Nouveau Tarborjt is a safe and lively area with shops, a market, shops and sidewalk café's and restaurants. There are several midrange and budget hotels, frequented by independent travellers like backpackers and overlanders and also by Moroccans. Many of the hotels and restaurants are situated around the Place Lahcen Tamri in bright blue and white colours (picture 2).

The Mohammed V mosque at the corner of the Avenue du President Kennedy and the Avenue de 29 Fevrier is an important landmark (picture 1 & 3). In Nouveau Tarborjt are wide avenues (picture 4) and cosy alleyways (picture 5).

Corniche of Agadir

Corniche of Agadir

Favorite thing: At the northwest end of the beach of Agadir is a nice paved area along the beach, the corniche (picture 1, 2 & 3). You can have a stroll or walk here taking the shortest way to the marina and the harbour further northwest along the coast.

Along the corniche are lots of restaurants (picture 4 & 5) with terraces all with view at the ocean. It is popular place for having a drink, a snack or meal, while watching the people coming by, the beach and the ocean. From here you can see a perfect sunset. I saw in summer also a stage on the beach for music performances. On the terraces you will sit at the first rank.

• sachara's Profile Photo

Reconstruction and expanding of the Corniche

Reconstruction of the Corniche of Agadir

Favorite thing: When I visited Agadir in the summer of 2007 there were huge works going on reconstructing and expanding the corniche further south of the Place al Wahda (picture 5). On the beach you could have a look at the huge billboards (picture 1) to see how it will look like as the work is finished and new palmtrees are planted.

In summer 2007 you could allready walk over the rough paved area (picture 2 and 4). More south it looked like a new broad entrance from the Boulevard du 20 Aout (picture 3) will be made like the of actual one more north of the Place al Wahda.

I think it will be great to walk along this expanded corniche in the close future, with a bit of shade during the day and a marvellous view at the ocean and the sunset in the evening.

Cultural activities

by sachara Updated Sep 9, 2007

Gnaoua art, depicting the Agadir beach

Favorite thing: In summer there are several cultural activities in Agadir. I saw a stage at the beach opposite the terraces at the corniche (picture 3). I will be great to see performances or concerts here with the ocean as background. Also at the Place de l'Esperance I saw a huge stage (picture 2). When I passed the square by car in the evening, I heard the music playing at the stage and saw a lot of people in front of the stage.

When I visited the municipal museum, I saw a fair with several stalls with local craft and art (pictures 4 & 5) along the Passage Ait Souss.

Fondest memory: At the southwestern end of the Passage Ait Souss I saw a huge tent and container (picture 5) with typical art style. I recognized this style as Gnaoua art, seen for the fist time in a a gallery in Essaouira. And I was right, they told me they came from there. At the outside of the container the beach of Agadir with the kasbah hill was depicted (picture 1).

• Music

Gnaoua art from Essaouira

by sachara Updated Sep 8, 2007

container and tent with artworks

Favorite thing: In summer 2007 I discovered at the cultural fair at the Passage Ait Souss a container and a traditional tent with colourful Gnaoua art from Essaouira. The inside, but especially the outside of the container was painted with colourful paintings in this unique artstyle.

Earlier in the year I visited in Essaouira Galerie Damgaard. Frederic Damgaard originally from Denmark opened his gallery in 1988 to give the possibility to local artists to exhibit their work.

Essaouira is known by this group of so-called free artists, all with their own unique style. Their naive work in bright colours is based on myths, depicting animals, human beings, dots and geometric patterns. In their work you can recognise the Berber and African origin of the Moroccan folk-art.

Local beachlife in Agadir

by sachara Updated Sep 8, 2007

beach Agadir with view at the kasbah

Favorite thing: The last weekend in Agadir I visited the northern end of the Agadir beach (zone 1), close to the corniche with the restaurants. Unlike in the hazy mornings when I walked along almost empty beaches earlier in the week, it was now in the afternoons very lively and at sunday even very crowded.

I am not patient enough to lay down at the beach for a whole day, but one hour or so is OK for me. So I did at saturday and sunday. I sat at the crowded beach between the Morroccan families, youngsters and kids, who were enjoying the beachlife. From my part I liked the late afternoon sun, the seabreeze and the view at the local beachlife. It was so much more fun and interesting here than in the parts of the beach with the sunbeds close to the hotels with all the tourists from abroad.

• Water Sports

Markets in Agadir

Market in Nouveau Talborjt

Favorite thing: I like to stroll around on markets in the countires I visit, because of the liveliness, to have a look to the products of the region and sometimes to do some shopping.

I was lucky, just one block from my hotel in Nouveau Talborjt was a local market. I could buy fruits (picture 1) and bread (picture 2) here. It's one block southwest of the Place Lahcen Tamri

Agadir has also a Central Market in the citycentre (picture 3) between the Boulevard Hassan II and Avenue Prince Moulay Abdallah. You can find here vegetables, fruits, meat, flowers, souvenirs.

Fondest memory: This time I went to the Central Market to see one of my VT- friends Med (me_34) who has his flowershop (picture 4 & 5) here. It was nice to sit in his shop for some time and have a look at the daily life in the markethall and of course enjoy his hospitality, having lunch together. Thanks Med for the fresh flowers every two days at my hotelroom and roses to bring home.

• sachara's Profile Photo

Goats, climbing in argan trees

by sachara Updated Sep 3, 2007

goats in an argan tree

Favorite thing: When you travel around Agadir look out for the goats climbing in the trees. In the this part of Morrocco grows the tree argan (Argania spinosa). This tree is unique to Morocco and produce a fruit like a olive, which is pressed for oil. The oil can be used for cooking and the body.

The goats like the argan too and it is not unusual to see the goats climbing in the branches to eat the leaves (picture 1). During all our trips in the area we saw goats acting this way, so you can't miss it. Also there are several places along the road where you can see the production of argan oil (picture 2, 3 & 4).

Instant Answers: Agadir

Comments

Agadir Favorites

Reviews and photos of Agadir favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Agadir sightseeing.